GIS Based Evaluation on Geochemical Studies of Groundwater in and around Pandalgudi region of Viruthunagar District, Tamilnadu, India
- 1Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Department of Geology P.G Studies and Research Center, V.O.Chidambaram College, Tuticroin, India
- 2Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Department of Geology P.G Studies and Research Center, V.O.Chidambaram College, Tuticroin, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (2), Pages 1-11, February,22 (2016)
The GIS based evaluations of geochemical studies of groundwater were carried out in the metamorphic terrain area of Pandalgudi region of Viruthunagar District, Tamilnadu, India. The stratigraphic succession of the study area is given. In order to cover the entire study area, 20 groundwater samples, from bore wells as well as from open wells for the both post-monsoon and pre-monsoon periods were collected. These samples were analyzed for various physico-chemical parameters such as pH, EC, TDS, Cations Na+, Ca2+, Mg2+, K+, Anions CO3-, HCO3-, NO3-, SO42- and Cl-. The results of the analysis were interpreted for different water qualities by Correlation, Gibbs mechanism and Piper method. The correlation study parameters of all water samples show positive correlations. The gibbs mechanism illustrates the evaporation dominance and rock dominance character which are controlling water chemistry. According to piper analysis,the geochemistry of ground water samples of the study area shows CaCl and NaCl rich facies. The Arc GIS 10.1 software was used for the generation of various thematic maps. An interpolation technique such as Inverse Distance Weighting (IDW) method was used to obtain the spatial distribution of groundwater quality parameters. Further, the water qualities are compared with BIS and WHO standards of drinking water and other standards such as livestock use and irrigation purposes.
- Dinesh Kumar Tank and Singh Chandel C.P. (2010)., Analysis of the Major Ion Constituents in Groundwaterof Jaipur City, Journal of Nature and Scenice., 8(10), 1-7.
- Shahidullah S.M., Hakim M.A., Alam M.S. andShamsuddoha A.T.M. (2000)., Assessment ofGroundwater Quality in A Selected Area of Bangladesh, Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 3(2), 246-249.
- Ahmed Al-ameri., Michael Schneider Naif., Abo Lohom.and Silvio Janetz. (2012)., HydrochemicalCharacterization and Classification of Groundwaters inthe Sana’a Basin, Yemen, International Journal ofEnvironment and Resource (IJER), 1(1), 1-15.
- Shimaa M., Ghoraba and Khan A.D. (2013)., Hydrochemistry and Groundwater Quality Assessment inBalochistan Province Pakistan, IJRRAS, 17(2), 185-199.
- Udayanapillai A.V., Venkataraman P., Jeyaranjeetham J.and Perumal V. (2012)., Geochemistry of Groundwater inand around Vilathikulam and Ottaipidaram Taluks, Thoothukudi District, Tamilnadu, India, Journal ofOutreach., 5, 113-116.
- Chadha D.K. and Chakraborty D. (2001)., Groundwaterquality of India: The changing spectrum., Journal ofEverthing about Water, 74-76.
- APHA, AWWA and WEF. (1998)., Standard methods forthe estimation of water and waste water, American PublicHealth Association Washington.
- Ragunath H.M. (1996)., Ground Water, 2nd Edition. Newage, International (P) Limited Publisher New Delhi.
- Bureau of Indian Standard (BIS). (2012)., Indian Standardspecification for drinking water Delhi BIS, IS 10500, 2-4
- WHO (2011)., Hardness in Drinking-Water: Backgrounddocument for development of WHO Guidelines forDrinking-Water Quality, 11.
- Gnanachandrasamy G., Ramkumar T., VenkataramananS., Vasudevan S., Chung S.Y. and Bagyaraj M. (2014), Accessing groundwater quality in lower part ofNagapattinam district Southern India usinghydrogeochemistry and GIS interpolation techniques, Applied Water Science., 1-17.
- Wilcox L.V. (1995)., Classification and use of irrigationwaters, US Department of Agriculture, Washington DC,19
- ICMR. (1975)., Manual of Standards for drinking watersupplies Indian Council of Medical Research New Delhi, 44.
- Srinivas Y., Hudson Oliver D., Stanley Raj A. andChandrasekar N. (2014)., Quality assessment andhydrogeochemical characteristics of groundwater inAgastheeswaram taluk, Kanyakumari district TamilnaduIndia, Chin. Journal of Geochemistry, 33, 221-235.
- Masoud Eid AL-Ahmadi (2013)., Hydrochemicalchatacteristics and evaluation of groundwater quality inWadi As Sab, InternationalJournal of Scientific and Engineering Research., 4(1).
- Lakshmanen E., Kannan R. and Kumar M.S. (2003)., Major ion chemistry and classification of hydrochemicalprocesses of groundwater in a part of KancheepuramDistrict Tamilnadu India, Journal of EnvirnomentalGeosciences., 10(4), 157-166.
- Sridhar S.G.D., Kanagaraj G., Mahalingam S. andAmaladas P. (2013)., Hydrochemical analysis ofGroundwater between Sadras and Chinnakuppam, Kancheepuram District Tamilnadu India, Journal ofAcademia and Industrial Research (JAIR)., 2(3), 160-166.
- Udayanapillai A.V., Selvam S., Balasubramanian T., EmiPrincess Prasanna A., Venkataraman P., Manimaran G.and Sivasubramanian P. (2014)., Geochemistry ofGroundwater in and around Petmanagaram, Thoothukudidistrict, Tamilnadu, India, Journal of Outreach., III, 46-50.
- Chandra Sekhar Reddy L., Deshpande S.M., RamanaReddy K.V. and Aher K.R. (2012)., Hydro GeochemicalProcesses in the Groundwater Environment of Vemulaarea Kadapa District South India, International Journalof Recent Trends in Science and Technology., 3(1), 18-24.
- Singh R.P., Tripathi B.K. and Bhairam C.L. (2015)., Geocenic distribution and baseline concentration ofuranium and fluoride in ground water in parts of PunjabIndia, Journal of Applied Geochemistry., 17(3), 335-341.
- Hedge G.V. (2006)., Evaluation of chemical quality ofgroundwater resource in Dharward districts Karnataka, Journal of Geological Society of India., 67, 4-58.
- Krishnaraj Srinivasamoorthy, KannusamyVijayaraghavan, Murugesan Vasanthavigar, SubramanyaSarma, Sabarathinam Chidambaram, PaluchamyAnandhan and Rama Manivannan. (2010)., Assessment ofgroundwater quality with special emphasis on fluoridecontamination in crystalline bed rock aquifers of Metturregion Tamilnadu India, Arab Journal of Geoscience., 1-12.
- Gibbs R.J. (1970)., Mechanisms controlling world’s waterchemistry, Journal of Science.,170, 1088-1099.
- Umapathy S. (2011)., A study on ground water quality ofNaively area, Cuddalore district, Tamilnadu,International Journal of Geomatics and Geosciences.,2(1), 49-56.
- Piper A.M. (1944)., A graphic procedure in thegeochemical interpretation of water analysis, Journal ofTransactions–American Geophysical Union., 25, 914-923.
- Shahram Ashraf., Hossein Afshari. and Abdol GhaffarEbadi. (2011)., Geographical Information SystemTechniques for Evaluation of Groundwater Quality, American Journal of Agriculutral and BiologicalSciences., 6(2), 261-266.
- Richards L.A. (1954)., Diagnosis and improvement ofsaline and alkali soils, Agric Hand Book USDAWashington D.C, 60, 160.
- Prabaharan S., Manonmani R., Ramalingam M. andSubramani T. (2012)., Groundwater Contamination due toMunicipal Solid Waste Disposal in Salem City usingGIS, International Journal of Earth Sciences andEngineering., 5 (4), 696-702.
- Erum Bashir, Shahid Naseem and Tajnees Pirzada(2013)., Geochemical study of groundwater of Uthal andBela areas, Balochistan and its appraisal for drinking andirrigation water quality, International Journal of Agr.and Env., 02, 1-13.
- Ayuba R., Omonona O.V. and Onwuka O.S. (2013)., Assessment of Groundwater Quality of Lokoja BasementArea North – Central Nigeria, Journal of Geology Societyof India, 82, 413-420.