Adsorption, Kinetics and Equilibrium Studies on Removal of Mn (II) From Aqueous Solutions Using Surface Modified Granular Activated Charcoal as a Low-Cost Adsorbent
- 1Department of Chemistry, Mahatma Fule Art`s, Commerce and Sitaramji Chaudhari Science College, Warud, Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University, Republic of India
- 2Department of Chemistry, Mahatma Fule Art`s, Commerce and Sitaramji Chaudhari Science College, Warud, Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University, Republic of India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (12), Pages 47-55, December,22 (2016)
The aim of this paper was to investigate adsorption of Mn (II) metal ions from aqueous solution by DOSS (Dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate), SDBS (Sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonate) and SDS (Sodium dodecyl sulphate) an adsorbed chelating species on granular activated charcoal (GAC) which is prepared from Cordia Macleodii Tree Bark. The adsorbent dose, contact time, initial metal ions concentration, temperature, pH were determined and adsorption isotherms were obtained for Mn (II) metal ions. Kinetic data reveals that adsorption mechanism follows pseudo second order model also fitted to Freundlich and Langmuir adsorption isotherms. The surface modified GAC were characterised by SEM-EDAX and FTIR technology.
- Siti Nur Aeisyah Abas, Mohd Halim Shah Ismail, Md Lias Kamal and Shamsul Izhar (2013)., Adsorption Process of Heavy Metals by Low-Cost Adsorbent: A Review., World Appl. Sci. J., 28(11), 1518-1530.
- Babel S. and Kurniawan T.A. (2004)., Cr (VI) removal from synthetic wastewater using coconut shell charcoal and commercial activated carbon modified with oxidizing agents and/or chitosan., Chemosphere, 5(7), 951-967.
- Tyagi P. (1998)., Law and implementation of industrial wastewater pollution control., Water Sci. Technol., 24, 5–13.
- Crittenden J.C., Vaitheeswaran K., Hand D.W., Howe E.W., Alieta E.M., Tate C.H., McGuire M.J. and Davis M.K. (1993)., Removal of dissolved organic carbon using granular activated carbon., Water Res., 27, 715-721.
- Bansodea R.R., Lossoa J.N., Marshallb W.E., Rao R.M. and Portierc R.J. (2004)., Pecan shell-based granular activated carbon for treatment of chemical oxygen demand (COD) in municipal wastewater., Bioresour. Technol., 94, 129–135.
- Devi R. and Dahia R.P. (2006)., Chemical oxygen demand (COD) reduction in domestic wastewater by fly ash brick kiln ash., Water Air Soil Pollut., 174, 33–46.
- Orhan Y. and Buyukgungor H. (1993)., The removal of heavy metals by using agricultural wastes., Water Sci. Technol., 28, 247–255.
- Huang C.P. and Blankenship D.W. (1984)., The removal of Mercury (II) from dilute aqueous solution by activated carbon., Water Res., 18, 37–46.
- Macchi G., Maroni D. and Tiravarthi G. (1986)., Uptake of Mercury by exhausted coffee grounds., Environ. Technol. Lett., 7, 431–444.
- Wanjari A.K. and Chaudhari U.E. (2016)., Removal of Cr (VI) from aqueous solution using granular activated charcoal prepared from cordia macleodii tree bark and surface modified granular activated charcoal: A comparative study via spectroscopic characterization., International jour. of Engineering Sci. & research technology, 5(10), 304-316.
- Jeffery G.H., Bassett J., Mendham J. and Denney R.C. (1989)., Vogel Textbook of Quantitative Chemical Analysis., , 5th Edition, 684. ISBN 0-582-44693-7.
- Langmuir I. (1916)., The constitution and fundamental properties of solids and liquids., J. Am. Chem. Soc., 38, 2221-2295.
- Freundlich H.M.F. (1906)., Über die biosorption in läsungen., Z. Phys. Chem., 57, 385-470.
- Ajaelu Chijioke John, Ibironke, Oluwafunke Lara, Adedeji, Victor and Olafisoye Oladunni. (2011)., Equilibrium and Kinetic Studies of the Biosorption of Heavy Metal (Cadmium) on Cassia siamea Bark., American-Eurasian Journal of Scientific Research, 6 (3), 123-130.