Microbiological Quality of Available Water Sources in and around Tribal Areas of Araku Valley Mandal, Visakhapatnam District, AP, India
- 1Department of Environmental Sciences, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, India
- 2Department of Environmental Sciences, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (12), Pages 19-27, December,22 (2016)
In the study microbiological analysis was performed in the water sources like spring, tank well and bore water of Tribal Villages of Araku valley Mandal, Visakhapatnam, (District) Andhra Pradesh, India. Eighteen samples had been collected during the period 2014-2015 in pre and post monsoon and analysed microbiologically by MPN/100ml, Faecal coliform, HPC and faecal streptococci it was observed that 85% of water sources were not up to the mark of Bureau of Indian Standards BIS & World Health Organization (WHO) limit. The water that was collected from spring and well was mostly contaminated, Most Probable Number (MPN) count range between 39-1100MPN/100ml. The mean counts of Faecal coliform in spring, tank and well are found to be high than bore and the HPC range from 2.22×104 CFU to 6.02×104 CFU and faecal streptococci range from 0.037×104 CFU/100ml to 1.32×104 CFU /100 ml, in spring, tank, well and bore samples. Hence it is resulted, the samples of well, spring and tank were above the prescribed limit of BIS, 2006. Isolated and identified organisms were Escherichia, staphylococci, salmonella, shegeila species, vibrio species, pseudomonas species, aeromonas etc. Thus the results revealed that the frequency of water borne diseases in the area is high in post monsoon season this may be due to the water consumed. Thus the findings of the microbiological water quality suggest that the water sources have direct effect on the health conditions of the tribes. Hence the water from this area is mostly contaminated and suggested to treat properly before it consumed or to look for alternative sources for drinking.
- Arunabh Mishra and Vasishta Bhatt (2008)., Physico-Chemical and Microbiological Analysis of Under Ground Water in V.V Nagar and Nearby Places of Anand District, Gujarat, India., ISSN: 0973-4945; CODEN ECJHAO E-Journal of Chemistry http://www.e-journals.net, 5(3), 487-492.
- Peeler K.A., Opsahl S.P. and Chanton J.P. (2006)., Tracking anthropogenic inputs using caffeine, indicator bacteria and nutrients in rural freshwater and urban marine systems., Environ. Sci. Technol., 40, 7616–7622.
- Meybeck M., Kuusisto E., Mäkelä A. and Mälkki E. (1996)., Water Quality. In: Water Quality Monitoring - A Practical Guide to the Design and Implementation of Freshwater Quality Studies and Monitoring Programmes (Ed)., Jamie Bartram and Richard Ballance. United Nations Environment Programme and the World Health Organization.
- Clesceri L.S. (1998)., Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Waste Water., 20th Ed., APHA, AWWA, WEF. Washington DC.
- Naidu R.P. (1998)., Envirnmental Health., Indian J.Public Health, 32, 70-71.
- Singh K. (2008)., Fluoride Scenario Some Preventive Steps., Jojana, 48
- Ramachandraiah C. (2004)., Right to Drinking Water in India: Status, Issues and Challenges., Indn. J. of Human Rights. 8(1 & 2), 115-130.
- Fong T., Mansfield L.S., Wilson D.L., Schwab D.J., Molloy S.L. and Rose J.B. (2007)., Massive Microbiological Groundwater Contamination Associated with a Waterborne Outbreak in Lake Erie, South Bass Island., Ohio. Environ Hlth. Perspect., 115(6): 856–864.
- APHA (1992)., American Public Health Association, Guideline for potable water., 7th edition, New York, WHO Press 8pp.
- BIS (1991 / 1993 / 2003 / 2010) ISO 10500 -1991): Amendments: (1993, 2003 & 2010)., Drinking Water., Bureau of Indian Standards.
- WHO (2013)., Lead in drinking-water. Background document for preparation of WHO Guidelines for drinking-water quality., Geneva: World Health Organization.
- World Health Organization (2004)., Guidelines for drinking water quality., 3rd edition, Switzerland: WHO press 16,89.
- Chan C.L., Zalifah M.K. and Norrakiah A.S (2007)., Microbiological and Physicochemical Quality of Drinking Water., The Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences, 11(2), 414–420.
- APHA (2005)., Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater., American Public Health Assoc, 21st Edition. American Public Hlth. Assoc., USA.
- Chin Yik Lin, Mohd. Harun Abdullah, Baba Musta, Ahmad Zaharin Aris, Sarva Mangala Praveena and Sains Malaysiana (2010)., Assessment of Selected Chemical and Microbial Parameters in Groundwater of Pulau Tiga, Sabah, Malaysia., (Taksiran Parameter Kimia dan Mikrob Terpilih Bagi Air Bawah Tanah di Pulau Tiga, Sabah, Malaysia) 39(3)(2010): 337–345.
- Kalpana Devi Venkatesan, Monica Balaji, Kalavathy Victor (2014)., International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health., | 2014 | Vol 3 | Issue 4.
- W.J., Foster, S.S., & Drasar, B.S. (1982)., Risk of groundwater pollution by on-site sanitation in developing countries., IRCWD Report, 1.
- De Walle F.B. and Schaff R.M. (1980)., Ground-water pollution by septic tank drainfields., J. of the Environ. Engg. Div. 106(3), 631-646.
- Lawrence A.R., Macdonald D.M.J., Howard A.G., Barrett M.H., Pedley S., Ahmed K.M. and Nalubega M. (2001)., Guidelines for assessing the risk to groundwater from on-site sanitation.,
- McFeters G.A., Pyle B.H., Gillis S.J., Acomb C.J. and Ferrazza D. (1993)., Chlorine injury and the comparative performance of Colisure™, ColiLert™ and ColiQuik™ for the enumeration of coliform bacteria and E. coli in drinking water., Water science and technology: J. of the Int. Assoc. on Water Pollut. Res. 27(3-4): 261- 265.
- Edama M.D., Omemu A.M., Fapetu O.M. (2001)., Microbiological and physicochemical analysis of different sources of drinking water in Abeokuta, Nigeria., Niger J. Microbial, 15(1), 57-61.
- Okonko Iheanyi Omezuruike, Adejoye Oluseyi Damilola, Ogunnusi Tolulope Adeola, Fajobi, Enobong A. and Shittu Olufunke B. (2008)., Microbiological and physicochemical analysis of different water samples used for domestic purposes in Abeokuta and Ojota, Lagos State, Nigeria., African Journal of Biotechnology, 7(5), 617-621.
- Lemo O.O. (2002)., Bacteriology Determination of water with long term storage (B.Sc. Thesis)., Abeokuta: UNAA, p.40.
- Hunter P.R. (1993)., The microbiology of bottled natural mineral waters., Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 74, 345-352.
- Rosenberg F. (2003)., The microbiology of bottled water., Journal of Clinical Microbiology 25: 41-44.
- World Health Organization (2004)., Guidelines for drinking water.,