Ambient Air Quality Status of Jaipur City, Rajasthan, India
- 1Rajasthan State Pollution Control Board, Jaipur, INDIA
- 2Rajasthan State Pollution Control Board, Jaipur, INDIA
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (1), Pages 43-48, January,22 (2016)
Since 1991, with enactment of the economic liberalization policies, India experienced rapid industrial growth. This rise enabled growth in the resource intensive manufacturing sector and facilitated rate of material use leading to manifold impacts to the environment. Unsystematic utilization of natural resources has lead to environmental pollution. In many Indian Cities, air pollution has resulted in poor urban air quality. The air pollution can be attributed to emissions from transportation, industrial and residential activities. During the study, pollutants like PM10, PM2.5, Nitrogen dioxide, Sulphur dioxide and Carbon monoxide were studied besides meteorological parameters like temperature, relative humidity, wind speed and direction for a period from January 2014 to December, 2014. Monthly and seasonal variations of these pollutants have been monitored. On the basis of the monthly average, the air quality index for the pollutants was determined. It was observed that concentrations of the pollutants were higher in colder season as compared to summer or monsoon season. The results of this study identifies the degree of air pollution and concludes with suggestions for control of air pollution and associated health problems.
- Yang C.Y., Chang C.C., Chuang H.Y. Tsai S.S., WuT.N. and Ho C.K. (2004)., Relationship between airpollution and daily mortality in a subtropical city: TaipeiTaiwan., Environment International, 30, 519–23.
- Afroz R., Hassan M.N. and Ibrahim N.A. (2003)., Reviewof air pollution and health impacts in Malaysia., EnvironResearch, 92, 71–77.
- Boyd J.T. 1960., Climate, Air Pollution and mortality., British Journal of Preventive and Social Medicine, 14,123–135.
- Guttikunda S. and Jawahar P. (2011)., Urban AirPollution Analysis in India. Urban Emissions., Info, NewDelhi, India.
- Murena F. (2004)., Measuring air quality over large urbanarea: Development and application of an air pollutionIndex at the Urban Area of Naples., Atmos. Environ, 38,6195-6202.
- USEPA (2014)., United States Environment protectionagency, .
- Ontario (2013)., A review of the Ontario air quality indexand air quality health index system, Air ResourceBranch, Ontario Ministry of the Environment, Toronto,Ont., Canada.
- Shenfold L. (1970)., Note on Ontario, Journal of Air Pollution ControlAssociation, 20, 612.
- Chaurasia S., Karwaria A. and Gupta A.D. (2013)., Airpollution and Air quality Index of Kodinar Gujarat, India., International Research Journal of EnvironmentalSciences, 2, 62-67.
- Inhaber H. (1974)., Environmental quality: Outline for aNational Index for Canada., Science, 186, 798-805.
- Upadhyaya G. and Dashore N. (2010)., Monitoring of AirPollution by Using Fuzzy Logic., International Journalon Computer Science and Engineering, 2, 2282-2286
- Bishoi B., Prakash A. and Jain V.K. (2009)., AComparative Study of Air Quality Index Based on FactorAnalysis and US-EPA Methods for an UrbanEnvironment., Aerosol and Air Quality Research, 9, 1-17.
- Gufran B., Ghude D.S. and Deshpande A. (2010)., Scientific Evaluation of Air Quality Standards andDefining Air Quality Index for India., Indian Institute ofTropical Meteorology Research Report No. Rr-127.
- Hassan I.A., Basahi J.M., Ismail I. and Habeebullah T.M.(2013)., Spatial distribution and temporal variation inambient ozone and its associated NOx in the atmosphereof Jeddah City, Saudi Arabia. Aerosol and Air Quality,13, 1712-1722.
- Air Quality Experts Group (AQEG) (2009)., Ozone in theUK, The Fifth Report Produced by Air Quality ExpertGroup, Department for the Environment, Food and RuralAffairs. DEFRA publication London.
- Chaudhary P., Singh D. Kumar J. and Singh S.K. (2013)., Assessment of Ambient Air Quality in Northern Indiausing Air Quality Index Method., Bulletin ofEnvironmental and Scientific Research, 2, 12-17.
- Bhaskar B.V. and Mehta V.M. (2010)., AtmosphericParticulate pollutants and their relationship withMeteorology in Ahemdabad., Aerosol and Air qualityResearch, 10, 301-315.
- Charan P.D. and Sahel H. (2014)., Study of Respirabledust in Ambient Air of Bikaner city and its Imapct onHuman Health., Applied Journal of Hygiene, 3, 11-14.
- Chaurasia S., Dwivedi P., Singh R. and Gupta A.D.(2013)., Ambient Air Quality Status and air quality Indexof Bhopal City (Madhya Pradesh). India, Int. J. Curr.Sci., 9, 96-101.
- Yadav S.K., Kumar V. and Singh M.M. (2012)., Assessment of Ambient Air Quality Status in UrbanResidential areas of Jhansi city and Rural Residentialareas of adjoining villages of Jhansi city., InternationalJournal of Advances in Engineering and Technology, 3,280-285
- Chauhan A. and Pawar M. (2010)., Assessment ofAmbient Air Quality Status in Urbanization,Industrialization and Commercial Centres of Uttarakhand(India)., New York Science Journal, 3, 85-94.
- Mahaboob P.M. and Srinivas N. (2011), Ambient AirQuality at Different Environmental Back Drops ofKakinada city, India., The Ecoscan, 5, 95-98.
- Nair N., Bamniya B.R., Mahecha G.S. and Saini D.(2014)., Analysis of Ambient Air pollution andDetermination of Air Quality Status of Udaipur,Rajasthan, India., International Research Journal ofEnvironmental Sciences, 3, 5-10.
- Shukla V., Dala P. and Chaudhry D. (2010)., Impact ofVehicular Exhaust on ambient air quality of Rohtak city,India., Journal of Environmental Biology, 31, 929-932.
- Etiuma R., Uwah I. and Etiuma A. (2006)., Level ofnitrogen dioxide (NO2) in Calabar city, Nigeria andhealth implications, International Journal of Chemistry,16, 229-233.
- Ragini N., Chandrashekara M.S., Nagaiah N. andParamesh L. (2009)., Study of atmospheric electricalconductivity, SO2, NO2, aerosols SPM (> 10µ) andRSPM (< 10µ) in Mysore city, India., Toxicology andEnvironmental Chemistry, 91, 605–609.
- Panda B.K. and Panda C.R. (2012)., Estimation ofambient air quality status in Kalinga Nagar industrialcomplex in the district of Jajpur of Odisha., InternationalJournal of Environmental Sciences, 3, 767-775
- Han X. and Naeher L.P. (2006)., A review of trafficrelatedair pollution exposure assessment studies in thedeveloping world., Environmental International, 32, 106-120.
- Capilla C. (2012)., Application of Statistical Methods toassess Carbon Monoxide Pollution Variations within anurban Area., International Journal of Geosciences, 3,885-890.
- Samaras Z., Andrias A., Zachariadis T. and AslanoglouM. (1997)., Forecast of road traffic emissions for theGreater Athens area, Proceedings of the InternationalScientific Workshop Athens 2004. Air Quality Study, 39-50.
- Kalabokas P.D., Viras L.G., Repapis C.C., Bartzis J.G.(1999)., Analysis of the 11-year record (1987-1997) of airpollution measurements in Athens, Greece., Part II:Photochemical pollutants, Global Nest. The InternationalJournal, 1, 169-176.
- Srivastava R.K. and Sarkar R. (2006)., Air Quality Index:A Brief Review., Indian J. Environ. Prot., 26, 344–347.
- Mamta P. and Bassin J.K. (2010)., Analysis of AmbientAir quality using Air Quality Index-A case Study., International Journal of Advances in Engineering andTechnology, 1, 106-114.
- Air Quality Status of Maharashtra (2014). 2013-2014, Compilation of Air quality data Recorded by MPCB.,
- Sarella G. and Khambete A.K. (2015)., Ambient Airquality Analysis using Air Quality Index- A case Studyof Vapi, India., IJIRST, 1, 68-71
- Srinivas J. and Purushotham A.V. (2013)., Determinationof Air Quality Index Status in industrial areas ofVisakhapatnam, India., Research Journal of EngineeringSciences, 2, 13-24
- Bhuyan G., Anandhan R. and Kavitha V. (2014)., Measurement and Statistical Analysis of ambient airquality status in Cuddalore Region, Tamil Nadu, India., Journal of Biological and Scientific Opinion, 2, 177-180.
- Roychowdhury A., Chattopadhyaya V., Chandola P. andBansal R. (2011)., Citizen’s Report- Air quality andMobility challenges in Hyderbad, published by CSE,New Delhi, India.
- Juned M.S. and Hemangi D. (2014)., Assessment ofambient air quality index of Surat city during earlymorning hours., Journal of Environmental Research andDevelopment, 8, 384-394.
- Watkins LH. (1991)., Air Pollution from road vehicles,Transport and Road Research Laboratory, London, UK.
- Tandon A., Yadav S. and Attri A.K. (2008)., City widesweeping a source for respirable particulate matter in theatmosphere., Atmospheric Environment, 42, 1064-1069.