Effect of Anthropogenic activities on the Physico-chemical quality of River Rapti at Gorakhpur, India
- 1Department of Zoology, D.D.U. Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur-273008, U.P., INDIA
- 2Department of Zoology, D.D.U. Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur-273008, U.P., INDIA
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (1), Pages 39-42, January,22 (2016)
Anthropogenic activities on the banks of river in India like prayers, laundry, washing dishes and bathing strongly influence the hydrology and chemistry of river. These human activities lead to addition of tons of soaps and detergents in the river as the anthropogenic pressure on Rapti catchment is comparatively high near Gorakhpur city. The present investigation was therefore conducted to study the effect of these organic compounds coming from an area on the bank of river marked for washing clothes by the professionals (Dhobi ghat) on the physico chemical properties river Rapti. The results indicate a significant increase in the level of pH, total dissolved solids, chlorides, sulphate, free carbon dioxide, nitrate, phosphate, carbonate, bicarbonate, hardness, chemical oxygen demand and biological oxygen demand and a significant decrease in dissolved oxygen.
- Hathi D. (2007)., Meet the House Cleaning Brigade, Spectrum. The Tribune.
- Frydendall E. (2009)., How Laundry Detergent Works, (Retrieved on January 15, 2011) fromhttp://home.howstuffworks.com/laundrydetergent.htm.
- Ghai V.U. (2010)., Soap Nut Detergent – The Best HEDetergent, (Retrieved on November 29 2010) fromhttp://www.ezine articles.com.
- Goel G. and Kaur S. (2012)., A study on chemicalcontamination of water due to household laundrydetergents., J. Hum. Ecol, 38(1): 65-69.
- A.P.H.A. (1976)., Standard methods for the examinationof water and waste water (14th Ed.), American PublicHealth Association, New York.
- Ya Xul. (1996)., Toxic effects of alkyl benzene sodiumsulphonate on incubation of carp eggs in Dianchi lake., Geo Journal, 40(1-2), 229-232.
- Das R., Samal N.R., Ray P.K. and Mitra D. (2006)., Roleof electrical conductivity as an indicator of pollution inshallow lakes., Asian J. Water. Env. Pollu., 3(1), 143-146.
- Agrahari M. and Kushwaha V.B. (2012)., Effect ofdomestic sewage on the physico-chemical quality of riverRapti at Gorakhpur. Bioscan, 7(1), 135-138.
- Mahor R.K. (2011)., Limnological study of fresh waterreservoir Tighra, Gwalior (M.P.), . Int. Referred ResearchJournal, 1(17), 47-48.
- Iqbal P.J., Pandit A.K. and Javeed J.A. (2006)., Impact ofsewage waste from settlements on physico-chemicalcharacteristics of Dal Lake, Kashmir. J. Res. Dev., 6: 81-85.
- Hedge C.R. and Bharti S.G. (1985)., Comparativephytoplankton ecology of fresh water ponds and lakes ofDharwad, Karnataka State, India., Proc. Nat. Symp. PureAppl. Limnology (Ed) Adoni A.D., Bull. Bot. Soc. Sagar.,32: 24-29.
- Sinha M.P. (1988)., Effect of waste disposal on waterquality of river Damodar in Bihar. Physico-chemicalcharacteristics. Ecol. and Poll. of Indian Rivers, Ed.Trivedy R.K., Ashish Publication House. New Delhi,219-246.
- Shah A.R. (1988)., Physico-chemical aspects of pollutionin River Jhelum (Kashmir) during 1981-83. Ecol. andpollu. of Indian River, Ed. Trivedy A.K., Ashish Pub.House, New Delhi (1).
- Rana B.C. and Palria S. (1988)., Assessment, evaluationand abatement studies of a polluted river. The Bandi(Rajasthan). Ecol. and Pollu. of Indian Rivers, Ed.Trivedi R.K., Ashish Pub. House, New Delhi, 344-359.
- Paramshivam M. and Sreenivasan A. (1988)., Changes inalgae flora due to pollution in Cauvery Rivers., Indian J.Environ Hlth. 23(3): 222-238.
- Somashekar R.K. (1985)., Studies on water pollution ofriver Cauvery, India, . Proc. Nat. Sym. Pure and Appl.Limnology (ed.) Adoni, A.D. Bull. Bot. SOC. Sagar. 32:145-149.