Diversity of Zooplankton and their Seasonal Variations of Gogi Lake, Shahapur taluk, Yadgir district, Karnataka, India
- 1Centre for Ecological Economics and Natural Resources (CEENR), Institute for Social and Economic Change, 560 072, Bangalore, Karnataka, INDIA
- 2Centre for Ecological Economics and Natural Resources (CEENR), Institute for Social and Economic Change, 560 072, Bangalore, Karnataka, INDIA
- 3Centre for Ecological Economics and Natural Resources (CEENR), Institute for Social and Economic Change, 560 072, Bangalore, Karnataka, INDIA
- 4Centre for Ecological Economics and Natural Resources (CEENR), Institute for Social and Economic Change, 560 072, Bangalore, Karnataka, INDIA
- 5Centre for Ecological Economics and Natural Resources (CEENR), Institute for Social and Economic Change, 560 072, Bangalore, Karnataka, INDIA
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (1), Pages 32-38, January,22 (2016)
Zooplanktons are microscopic organisms that have a criticcal role in aquatic ecosystems. Zooplanktons are indicators of water quality and purity of aquatic ecosystems. The present study was carried out to study the species diversity and their seasonal changes in fresh water lake ecosystem located in semi-arid region of Karnataka. The study was conducted across the seasons of the year 2012. A standard methodology was followed during this study and the samples were collected during various seasons from the studied aquatic ecosystem. We recorded a total of 22 species of zooplanktons during the study period. Phylum Rotifers comprises 15 species, Cladocera 3, Copepoda 3 and Ostrocoda 1 species. A season wise analysis shows the maximum number of species during summer and the minimum number of species in rainy season. Species density was recorded high during summer season as compared to rainy season. The lake is shelter to many migrating bird species, fishes, aquatic plants and other insects. The lake is surrounded by human settlements and is prone to pollution due to several activities viz. washing clothes, bathing animals, dumping domestic waste and other similar activities. In this regard, urgent actions are required to conserve the aquatic biodiversity of this lake.
- Scott S. (2015), How Lakes differ in Lake Scientist, Retrieved online at: http://www.lakescientist.com/lakefacts/how-lakes-differ/.On 23 August 2015 (Online).
- Oertli B., Jeremy biggs J., Céréghino R., Grillas P.,JOLY P. and Jean-bernard lachavanne J.B. (2005)., Conservation and monitoring of pond biodiversity:introduction, . Aquatic Conservation: Marine andFreshwater Ecosystems., 15(6), 535-540.
- Lalli C.M. and Parsons T.R. (1997)., BiologicalOceanography an Introduction, (2nd edition). Elsevier,Burlington 314.
- Harris R.P., Wiebe P.H., Lenz J., Skjoidal H.R. andHuntley M. (2000)., ICSE-Zooplankton methodologymanual, Academic Press, London, UK. 684.
- Singh A., Sharma S.K., Mishra V. and Singh E. (2015)., Freshwater Zooplankton: An introduction and Their Rolein Aquaculture, . Retrieved online at:aquafind.com/articles/Role_of_Zooplankton.php. on 23August 2015 (Online)
- Tiwari R.P., Tripathi K. and Sahu R. (2011)., Studies onmonthly population of total zooplanktons and theircorrelation coefficient with physicochemical factors ofLony dam Theonthar, Rewa (M.P.). Ind J Biol Stud Res.,1(1), 33-38.
- Sehgal K., Phadke G.G., Chakraborty S.K. and ReddyS.V.K. (2013)., Studies on Zooplankton Diversity inDimbhe Reservoir, Maharashtra, India. Advances inApplied Science Research, 4(1), 417-420.
- Shivashankar P. and Venkataramana G.V. (2013)., Zooplankton diversity and their seasonal variations ofBhadra reservoir, Karnataka, India. Int. Res. J. ofEnvironment Sci., 2(5), 87-91.
- Sakhare V.B. (2007)., Reservior Fisheries andLimnology., Narendra Publishing House, New Delhi,India.
- Mishra A., Srivastava A. and Singh U.P. (2003)., Limnological studies of fish ponds in Tarai Region ofUttar Pradesh., Environment and Ecology., 21(3), 623-627.
- Rocha O., Matsumura-tundisi T., Espindola E.L.G.,Roche K.F. and Rietzler A.C. (1999)., Ecological theoryapplied to reservoir zooplankton., In: Theoreticalreservoir ecology and its application Eds. J.G. Tundisiand M. Straskraba. Internat Inst. Ecol., Sao Carlos., 457-476.
- Basavarajappa S.H., Raju N.S., Hosmani S.P. andNiranjana S.R. (2010)., Algal diversity and Physicochemicalparameters in Hadhinaru Lake, Mysore,Karnataka state, India. The Biosca., 5(3), 377-382.
- Karthick B. (2010)., Ecology of Stream DiatomCommunities central western ghats., Ph.D thesis,University of Mysore, Mysore.
- Rajashekhar M., Vijaykumar K. and Parveen Z. (2009)., Zooplankton diversity of three freshwater lakes withrelation to trophic status, Gulbarga district, North-EastKarnataka, South India. International journal of systemsBiology, 1(2), 32-37.
- Bhaskar K., Nautiyal S., Khan Y.D.I. and Rajanna L.(2015), A preliminary study on Phytoplankton in Freshwater-Lake of Gogi, Yadgir district, Karnataka.International journal of Innovative Research in Science,Engineering and Technology, 4(4), 2030-2037.
- APHA (1998)., Standard Methods for the Examination ofWater and Waste water, (20th edition). American PublicHealth Association, Washington DC.
- Pennak R.W. (1978)., Freshwater invertebrates of theUnited states., John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Altaff K. (2003)., A Manual of Zooplankton., Departmentof Zoology, The New College, Chennai.
- Battish S.K. (1992)., Freshwater Zooplankton of India., Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi,India.
- Edmondson W.T. (1959)., Freshwater Biology, (2ndedition). John Wiley and Sons, New York. 1248.
- Kurian C.V. (1982), Sebastian V.O.Prawns and PrawnFisheries of India., Hindustan Publishing Corporation,New Delhi, India. 286.
- Needham J.G. and Needham P.R. (1966)., A guide to thestudy of fresh water biology, (5th edition). Holden DayInc., San Francisco, California, USA. 104.
- Sharma B.K. (1998)., Rotifera. In: Faunal diversity ofIndia. Eds. J.R.B. Alfred., A.K. Das and A.K. Sanyal., Envis center, Zoological Survey of India, 57-70.
- Sharma B.K. and Sharma S. (2000)., Fresh water Rotifers(Rotifera: Eurotatoria), . In. State Fauna Series: Fauna ofTripura, Zoological Survey of India, Calcutta, 7(4), 163-224.
- Hutchinson G.E. (1967)., A Treatise on Limnology, Vol.II: Limnoplancton. Wiley, New York. 1015.
- Sampio E.V., Rocha O., Tundisi T.M. and Tundisi J.G.(2002)., Composition and abundance of zooplankton inthe limnetic zone of seven reservoirs of the paranapanama river, Brazil. Braz. J. Biol, 62(3), 525-545.
- Neves I.F., Rocha O., Roche K.F. and Pinto A.A. (2003)., Zooplankton community structure of two marginal lakesof the river Cuiaba (Mato grass, Brazil) with analysis ofrotifer and cladocera diversity., Braz. J. Biol., 63(3), 329-343.
- Schindler D.W. and Noven B. (1971)., Verticaldistribution and seasonal abundance of zooplankton intwo shallow lakes of the Experimental Lakes Area, Northwestern Ontario, J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 28, 245-256.
- Saksena D.N. and Sharma S.P. (1981). Zooplanktonfauna of some lentic water of Gwalior, Govinda sagar,Chhattri tankSawarkar Sarovar and Matsya Sarovar.Environment India. 13-17., undefined
- Nandan S.B. and Azis P.K.A. (1994)., Organic matter ofsediments from the retting and the non-retting areas ofKadinamkulam estuary, Southeast coast of India. Ind JMar Sci. 25, 25-28.
- Farshad H. and Venkataramana G.V. (2012)., Impact ofPhysico-Chemical Parameters of Water on ZooplanktonDiversity in Nanjangud Industrial Area, India., Int. Res. J.Environment Sci. 1(4), 37-42.
- Singh S.P., Pathak D. and Singh R. (2002)., Hydrobiological studies of two ponds of Satna (M P), India. Eco. Environ. Cons. 8, 289-292.
- Edmondson N.T. (1965)., Reproductive rates ofplanktonic rotifers related to food, temperature in nature.Ecol. 5, 61-68.
- Qadri M.Y. and Yousuf A.R. (1980)., Limnologicalstudies on Lake Malpur sar1., The Biotope Geo bios. 117-119.
- Patil C.S. and Gouder B.Y.M. (1989)., Freshwaterinvertebrates of Dharwad (Karnataka state, India), .Prasaranga Karnatak University, Dharwad, India. 144.
- Sunkad B.N. and Pail H.S. (2004)., Water qualityassessment of Fort Lake of Belgaun, Karnataka withspecial reference to zooplankton., J. Envion. Biol., 25(1),99-102.
- Watkar A.M. and Barbate M.P., Studies on ZooplanktonDiversity of River Kolar Saoner, Nagpur District,Maharashtra., J. Life Sci. Technol. 1(1), 26-28 (2013)