Environmental Impact Analysis of Physico chemical Characterization of Landfill leachate from Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) dump yard in Dharapuram Town, Tamil Nadu, India
- 1Department of Chemistry, Jansons Institute of Technology, Coimbatore, INDIA
- 2Department of Environmental Sciences, PSG College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore, INDIA
- 3Department of Environmental Sciences, PSG College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore, INDIA
- 4Department of Environmental Sciences, PSG College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore, INDIA
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (1), Pages 13-20, January,22 (2016)
This paper discusses the physico chemical characteristics of leachate generated from municipal solid waste landfilling site of Dharapuram town, Tirupur district, Tamilnadu, India. Leachate samples were collected in and around the dump yard and analyzed for various physico-chemical parameters to estimate its pollution potential. The parameters were performed by following the standards of APHA, 2012. This research work aims to serve as a baseline data for the implementation of the most suitable technique and methods for reducing the negative environmental effects of discharging leachate in to soil. The present study on leachate analysis indicates that the quality of ground water was contaminated due to disposal of municipal solid waste at dumping yard. It was confirmed by the high Electrical conductivity, Total Dissolved Solids, COD and BOD values for both the seasons. The remaining parameters are also show the increase in concentration and the presence of heavy metal in the leachate samples are found at moderate concentration levels in all the leachate samples.
- Sujauddin M., Huda M.S. and Rafiqul Hoque A.T.M.(2008)., Household solid waste characteristics andmanagement in Chittagong, Bangladesh, Journal ofWaste Management, (28), 1688–1695.
- Burntley S.J. (2007), A review of municipal solid wastecomposition in the United Kingdom, Journal of WasteManagement, 27 (10), 1274–1285.
- Barrett A and Lawlor J. (1995)., The economics of wastemanagement in Ireland., Dublin: Eco- nomic and SocialResearch Institute,129
- Denison R.A. and Ruston J.F. (2000)., Anti-recyclingmyths. In: Secretariat, I.G. (Ed.), International Directoryof Solid Waste Management 2000/2001., James and JamesLtd., Copenhagen, 480.
- Farquhar G.J. (1989)., Leachate: production andcharacterization, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering16, 317–325.
- Telkapalliwar N.G. and Shende B.B. (2011)., , J. Chem.Pharm. Res., 3(1), 176-179.
- Dave R.S., Vedia S.D., Acharya D.G., Jani G.R. andMachhar M.T. (2011)., , J. Chem. Pharm.Res., 3(1), 238-241.
- Turkar S.S., Bharti D.B. and Gaikwad G.S. (2011)., , J.Chem. Pharm. Res., 3(2), 58-65.
- Nidhi Saxena S.N., Misra and Shukla R.N. (2011)., , J.Chem. Pharm. Res., 3(2), 162-167.
- Dattatraya Bharti, Isub Ali Sayyad, Gaikwad G.G.,Taikar D.R. and Dhore J. (2011)., , J. Chem. Pharm. Res.,3(2), 922-927.
- Banar M., Ozkan A. and Altan M. (2009)., Modelling ofheavy metal pollution in an unregulated solid wastedumping site with GIS research., J Environ Earth Sci,1(2), 99–110.
- Kanmani S. and Gandhimathi R. (2012)., Assessment ofheavy metal contamination in soil due to leachatemigration from an open dumping site, Appl Water Sci, 3,193–205.
- APHA (2012)., Standard Methods for Examination ofWater and Wastewater, 22nd Edition, American PublicHealth Association, Washington, DC.
- Chu L.M., Cheung K.C. and Wong M.H. (1994)., Variations in the chemical properties of landfill leachate, Environ. Manage, 18 (1), 105-117.
- Barjinder Bhalla, Saini M.S. and Jha M.K. (2012)., Characterization of Leachate from Municipal SolidWaste (MSW) Landfilling Sites of Ludhiana, India: AComparative Study, International Journal of EngineeringResearch and Applications, 2(6), 732-745.
- Christensen T.H., Kjeldsen P. and Kjeldsen P. (2001)., Biogeochemistry of landfill leachate plumes, AppliedGeochemistry, 16(7-8), 659-718.
- Abbas A. A., Jingsong G., Ping L. Z., Ya P.Y. and AlRekabiW.S. (2009)., Review on landfill leachatetreatments, Journal of Applied Sciences Research, 5(5),534-545.
- Bohdziewicz J. and Kwarciak A. (2008)., The applicationof hybrid system UASB reactor-RO in landfill leachatetreatment, Desalination, 222(1-3), 128-134
- Al-Wabel M.I., Al Yehya W.S., AL-Farraj A.S. and ElMaghrabyS.E. (2011)., Characteristics of landfillleachates and bio-solids of municipal solid waste (MSW)in Riyadh City, Saudi Arabia, Journal of the SaudiSociety of Agricultural Sciences, 10, 65–70.
- Koshy L., Jones T. and BeruBe K. (2008)., Bioreactivityof municipal solid waste landfill leachates-Hormesis andDNA damage, Water Research, 42 (8-9), 2177-2183.
- Tatsi A.A., Zouboulis A.I., Matis K.A. and Samaras P.(2003)., Coagulation-flocculation pre treatment of landfillleachate, Chemosphere, 53(7), 737-744.
- Tchobanoglous G., Theisen H. and Vigil S.A. (1993)., Integrated solid waste management engineeringprinciples and management issues (1st ed.), New York:McGraw-Hill.
- El-Fadel M., Bou-Zeid E., Chatrive W. and Alayli B.(2002)., Temporal variation of leachate quality from presortedand baled municipal solid waste with high organicand moisture content, Waste Management, 22, 269-282.
- Zazouli M.A., Maleki A. and Izanloo H. (2010)., Assessment of raw leachate characteristics and itspretreatment by Lime, Asian Journal of Chemistry, 22,6155–6163.
- Crawford J.F. and Smith P.G. (1985)., LandfillTechnology. Butterworths, London, pp. 8485 (chapter4.).
- Bilgili M.S., Demir A. and Bestamin O. (2007)., Influence of leachate recirculation on aerobic andanaerobic decomposition of solid wastes., J HazardMater, 143, 177–183.
- Deng Y. and Englehardt J.D. (2006)., Treatment oflandfill leachate by the Fenton process, Water Research,40(20), 3683-3694.
- Shivakumar D., Thandaveswara B.S. andChandrasekaran K.D. (2004)., Solid waste leachatequality and its effects on soil properties, PollutionResearch, 23(1), 69-81.
- Seo D.J., Kimb Y.J., Hama S.Y. and Lee D.H. (2007)., Characterization of dissolved organic matter in leachatedischarged from final disposal sites which containedmunicipal solid waste incineration residues, J HazardMater, 148, 679–692.
- Al-Yaqout A.F. and Hamoda M.F. (2003)., Evaluation oflandfill leachate in arid climate-A case study, EnvironInt., 29, 593–600.
- Jensen D.L., Ledin A. and Christensen T.H. (1999)., Speciation of heavy metals in landfill-leachate pollutedgroundwater, Water Res, 33, 2642–2650.
- Aziz H.A., Yusoff M.S., Adlan M.N., Adnan N.H. andAlias S. (2004)., Physico-chemical removal of iron fromsemi-aerobic landfill leachate by limestone filter, WasteManag. 24, 353-358.
- Mor S., Ravindra K., Dahiya R.P. and Chandra A.(2005)., Leachate characterization and assessment ofgroundwater pollution near municipal solid Wastelandfill site, Environ Monit Assess., 118, 435–456.
- Moturi MCZ., Rawat M. and Subramanian V. (2004)., Distribution and fractionation of heavy metals in solidwaste from selected sites in the industrial belt of Delhi,India., Environ Monit Assess., 95, 183–199.