Biogas Recovery from Sewage Sludge during Anaerobic Digestion Process: Effect of Iron powder on Methane yield
- 1Laboratory of Physical Chemistry, University of Abomey-Calavi, BP: 4521 Cotonou, BENIN
- 2Laboratory of Physical Chemistry, University of Abomey-Calavi, BP: 4521 Cotonou, BENIN
- 3Laboratory of Physical Chemistry, University of Abomey-Calavi, BP: 4521 Cotonou, BENIN Beninese Center for Scientifics Research and Technologies (CBRST), 03 BP 1665 Cotonou, BENIN
- 4Laboratory of Physical Chemistry, University of Abomey-Calavi, BP: 4521 Cotonou, BENIN
- 5Laboratory of Inorganic Chemistry and Environment, University of Abomey-Calavi, BP: 4521 Cotonou, BENIN
- 6Laboratory of Inorganic Chemistry and Environment, University of Abomey-Calavi, BP: 4521 Cotonou, BENIN, Laboratory of Applied Hydrology, University of Abomey-Calavi, Calavi, 01 BP: 526 Cotonou, BENIN
- 7Laboratory of Physical Chemistry, University of Abomey-Calavi, BP: 4521 Cotonou, BENIN
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (1), Pages 7-12, January,22 (2016)
The management of sewage sludge remains a great challenge in developing countries; as it hinder the development mainly in the big towns. Here we have conducted the anaerobic digestion experiment for recovering methane gas from sewage sludge. Iron power (IP) was applied and its impact of methane yield was investigated. Results showed that sewage sludge is a reservoir of energy in the form of methane gas. Methane recovery was greatly improved by adding IP in the AD reactor, as up to 141917.5 mL kg-1 VS could be recovered when IP is properly used compared to 98783.4 mL kg-1 VS in the blank. More specifically, methane yield was upgraded by 9.2%, 28.6% and 43.6% respectively at the dose rate of 0.3 g IP, 1 g IP and 3 g IP in 300 g of sludge (wet weight). Results also show that over dose concentration of IP (addition of 6 g IP) exercises a strong negative impact on AD process and methane yield.
- Igoud S. (2001)., Valorisation des Boues RésiduairesIssues des Stations d’Epuration Urbaines par leurEpandage dans les Plantations Forestières, Rev. Energ.Ren. : Production et Valorisation-Biomasse, 69-74.
- Mane T.T. and Raskar S.S. (2012)., Management ofAgriculture Waste from Market yard, Res.J.Recent.Sci,1(ISC-2011), 289-296.
- Chu L.B., Yan S.T., Xing X.H., Sun X.L. and Jurcik B.(2009)., Progress and perspectives of sludge ozonation asa powerful pretreatment method for minimization ofexcess sludge production, Water Res. 43, 1811-1822.
- Gashaw A. (2014)., Anaerobic Co-Digestion ofBiodegradable Municipal Solid Waste with HumanExcreta for Biogas Production: A Review., Am. J. ofApplied Chemistry, 2, 55-62.
- Vergara-Fernandez A., Vargas G., Alarcon N. andVelasco A. (2008)., Evaluation of marine algae as asource of biogas in a two-stage anaerobic reactor system, Biomass Bioenergy, 32, 338-44.
- Meng X., Zhang Y., Li Q. and Quan X. (2013)., AddingFe0 powder to enhance the anaerobic conversion ofpropionate to acetate, J. Biochem. Eng, 73, 80- 85.
- Zhang Y., Feng Y., Yu Q., Xu Z. and Quan X. (2014)., Enhanced high-solids anaerobic digestion of wasteactivated sludge by the addition of scrap iron, Bioresour.Technol, 159, 297-304.
- Yang Y., Guo J. and Hu Z. (2013)., Impact of nano zerovalent iron (NZVI) on methanogenic activity andpopulation dynamics in anaerobic digestion, Water Res,47, 6790-6800.
- Ge H., Jensen P.D. and Batstone D.J. (2013)., Pretreatmentmechanisms during mesophilic-thermophilictemperature phased anaerobic digestion of primarysludge, Water Res, 44, 123-130.
- Rubio-Loza A. and Noyola A. (2010)., Two-phase(acidogenic-methanogenic) anaerobic thermophilic/mesophilic digestion system for producing Class Abiosolids from municipal sludge, Bioresour. Technol,101, 576-585.
- Xie S., Lawlor P., Frost J., Hu Z. and Zhan X. (2011)., Effect of pig manure to grass silage ratio on methaneproduction in batch anaerobic co-digestion ofconcentrated pig manure and grass silage, Bioresour.Technol, 102, 5728-33.
- APHA (2005)., Standard Methods for the Examination ofWater and Wastewater, 21st ed., American Public HealthAssociation, Washington, DC, USA.
- Igesias-Jimérnez E. and pérez-gracía V. (1992)., Relationship between organic carbon and total organiccarbon in municipal solid waste and city refuse composts, Bioressour. technol, 41(3), 265-272.
- Li X.Q., Brown D.G. and Zhang W.X. (2007)., Stabilization of biosolids with nanoscale zero-valent iron(nZVI), J Nanopart Res, 9(2), 233-243.
- Cornell R.M. and Schwertmann U. (2003)., The IronOxides: Structure, Properties, Reactions, Occurrencesand Uses, second ed., Weinheim Wiley-VCH.
- Tang S.C.N. and Lo I.M.C. (2013)., Z Magneticnanoparticles: Essential factors for sustainableenvironmental applications, Water Res, 47, 2613-2632.