Identifying the Major Insect Pollinators of Allium cepa Flowers in Selected Gardens of Kano State, Nigeria
- 1Biology Department, Kano University of Science and Technology, Wudil
- 2Biological Science Department, Bayero University Kano
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 9, Issue (4), Pages 59-63, November,10 (2020)
A field experiment was conducted to assess the major insect pollinators of Allium. cepa seed plantations based on visitation frequency. The study was conducted in three selected gardens in Kano State, Nigeria. Ten umbels were randomly selected; for the observation of insects composition and abundance visiting the flowers by counting and recording the identity of every insect seen on the flower for 15 minutes. The observations were done for one month at weekly interval, from mid March, 2020 to mid April, 2020. A total of twelve observations were made, four from each garden. The results of study shows that Yanbukar garden has the highest significant (p<0.05) number of insects visiting A.cepa flower while Anisoptera and Coccinellidae are not found there. The least significant (p<0.05) number of insects on the flowers were recorded on Darmanawa garden with Caelifera and Anisoptera absent. However, Diptera has the highest significant (p<0.05) number recorded among the other insects. This was followed by Apis which was also significantly high (p<0.05) as compared to other insects. The Poisson distribution fit of model also indicated that there many number Diptera and Apis in the observations than the model will predict. Therefore, Diptera have highest visitation frequencies as compared to Apis on A. cepa seed plantation and this is a crucial component in evaluating pollination activity of a pollinator.
- Kavitha, S.J. and Rami Reddy, P.V (2018)., Floral biology and pollination ecology of onion (Allium cepa L.)., Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 7(6), 2081-2084.
- Devi, S., Gulati, R., Tehri, K. and Asha (2014)., Diversity and abundance of insect pollinators on Allium cepa L., Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies, 2(6), 34-38.
- Banik (1990)., Role of pollinating agents on seed production of shallot onion., Bangladesh. J. Plant Breeding and Genetics, 3, 15-22.
- Żuraw B., Weryszko-Chmielewska E., Laskowska H. and Pogroszewska E. (2010)., The location of nectaries and nectar secretion in the flowers of Allium giganteum REGEL., Acta Agrobot, 63(2), 33-40.
- Sunitha Devi, Gulati R, Tehri and K, Poonia A. (2015)., The pollination biology of onion (Allium cepa L.) -a review., Agric. Rev., 36, 1-13.
- Abrol D.P. (1990)., Energetics of nectar production in some apple cultivars as a predictor of floral choice by honey bee., Trop Ecol, 31, 116-122.
- Herrera, C.M. (1989)., Pollinator abundance, morphology and flower visitation rate: analysis of the quantity component in a plant-pollinator system., Oecologia, 80, 241-248.
- Roubik, D.W. (1995)., Pollination of cultivated plant in the tropics., FAO Agricultural Services Bulletin 118 p. 105.
- Sajjad A., Saeed S., and Masood A. (2008)., Pollinator community of onion (Allium cepa L.) and its role in crop reproductive success., Pakistan J Zoo, 40, 451-456.
- Shafqat A.S. and Masood S.A. (2008)., Pollinator community of onion (Allium cepa L.) and its role in crop reproductive success., Pakistan J Zool, 40, 451-456.
- Saeed A., Muhammad T., Karim A., Jabbar A. and Ahmad G. (2008)., Effect of pollinators and insecticides on seed setting of onion (Allium cepa L.)., Ann Appl Boi, 130(3), 497-506.