Antimicrobial resistance pattern of Coagulase-negative staphylococci isolates from medical students of some Nigerian teaching hospitals
- 1Department of Microbiology, Federal University of Technology, P. M. B. 1526, Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria
- 2Department of Microbiology, Federal University of Technology, P. M. B. 1526, Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria
- 3Department of Biology, Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education, Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria
- 4Department of Microbiology, Federal University of Technology, P. M. B. 1526, Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 9, Issue (4), Pages 12-18, November,10 (2020)
The antimicrobial resistance or otherwise of Coagulase-negative Staphylococci (CoNS) isolates from medical students of some South Eastern Nigerian Universities were determined. Swab samples were obtained from the students and were cultured for CoNS using standard microbiological methods. Isolates obtained were assayed for antibiotic resistance using disc diffusion method. MecA and blaZ genes on 533bp and 510bp respectively, of the isolates were amplify using the Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR). Fingerprinting of isolates genomes was also conducted by Randomly Amplified Polymorphic DNA. Results obtained showed that of the 200 students screened, 26 (13.0%) harbour CoNS. Observed resistance against the tested antimicrobials were as follows; trimethoprim (100%), oxacillin, penicillin, ampicillin (88.5%), clindamycin (61.5%), ciprofloxacin (57.7%), erythromycin and vancomycin (15.4%), and nitrofurantoin (0%). All the isolates showed multi-drug resistance to at least four antibiotics assessed. PCR amplification yielded no antibiotic resistant gene and fingerprinting by RAPD revealed that the isolates were not genetically related. The elevated level of resistance among isolated CoNS to the antimicrobials studied is of great concern. The isolates can serve as reservoirs of resistance determinants that can be transmitted to pathogens. The spread of CoNS can however be prevented by effective infection control measures. This study underlines the necessity for policies on the use of antibiotics in healthcare and agriculture, and the development and enforcement of measures that will prevent the spread of CoNS in Nigerian hospitals. It also calls for periodic studies for the evaluation of current resistance patterns of CoNS.
- Baragundi, M. C., Solabannavar, S. S., Gokale, S. K. and Sonth, S.B. (2012)., Methicillin and multidrug resistant coagulase negative staphylococcal nasal carriage in medical students., J. Commun. Dis., 44(4), 231-7.
- Oliveira, F. and Cerca, N. (2013)., Antibiotic resistance and biofilm formation ability among coagulase-negative staphylococci in healthy individuals from Portugal., J Antibiot., 66, 739-741.
- Kloos, W.E. and Bannerman, T.L. (1994)., Update on clinical significance of coagulase negative staphylococci., Clin. Microbiol. Rev., 7, 117-140.
- Von-Eiff, C., Becker, K., Machka, K. and Peters, G. (2001)., Nasal carriage as a source of S. aureus bacteremia., N. Engl. J. Med., 344, 11-16.
- Richards, M. J., Edwards, J. R., Culver D. H. and Gaynes, R. P. (1999)., Nosocomial Infections in Medical Intensive Care Units in the United States. National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System., Crit Care Med., 27(5), 887.
- Otto, M. (2008)., Staphylococcal biofilms., Curr. Top. Microbiol. Immunol., 322, 207-228.
- Diekema, D. J., Pfaller, M. A., Schmitz, F. J., Smayevsky, J., Bell, J., Jones, R. N. and Beach, M. (2001)., Survey of Infections Due to Staphylococcus Species: Frequency of Occurrence and Antimicrobial Susceptibility of Isolates Collected in the United States, Canada, Latin America, Europe, and the Western Pacific Region for the SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program, 1997-1999., Clinical Infectious Diseases, 32(2), S114-S132.
- Murray, P.R., Rosenthal, K.S. and Pfaller, M.A. (2009)., Medical Microbiology., 6th Ed., Mosby Elsevier.
- Bauer, A.W., Kirby, W. M., Sherris, J.C. and Turck, M. (1966)., Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disk method., American Journal of Clinical Pathology, 45(4), 493-496.
- Wayne, P. A. (2012)., Clinical and laboratory standards: Performance standards for antimicrobial disk susceptibility tests.,
- Sambrook, J., Fritschi, E.F. and Maniatis, T. (1989)., Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York.
- Murakami, K., Minamide, W., Wada, K., Nakamura, E. Teraoka, H. and Watanabe, S. (1991)., Identification of methicillin-resistant strains of staphylococci by polymerase chain reaction., Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 29(10), 2240-2244.
- Del Vecchio, V. G., Petroziello, J. M., Gress, M. J., Mc Cleskey, F. K., Melcher, G. P., Crouch, H. K. and Lupski, J. R. (1995)., Molecular genotyping of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus via fluorophore-enhanced repetitive-sequence PCR., Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 33(8), 2141-2144.
- Casey, P.G., Gardiner, G.E., Casey, G., Bradshaw, B., Lawlor, P. G., Lynch, P. B., Leonard, F. C., Stanton, C., Ross, R. P., Fitzgerald, G. F. and Hill, C. (2007)., A Five-Strain Probiotic Combination Reduces Pathogen Shedding and Alleviates Disease Signs in Pigs Challenged with Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhimurium., Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 73(6) 1858-1863.
- Akinjogunla, O.J., Ajayi, A.O. and Ekeh, N.O. (2014)., Virulence factors and Antibiotic Resistant Staphylococcus spp from the Anterior Nares of Apparently Healthy Undergraduate Students in Uyo., American Journal of Research Communication, 2(11).
- Wos-Oxley, M.L., Plumeier, I. and Pieper, D.H. (2010)., A poke into the diversity and associations within human anterior nare microbial communities., ISME J, 4, 839-851.
- Silva, F.R., Mattos, E.M., Coimbra, M.V. and Figueiredo, A.M. (2001)., Isolation and molecular characterization of methicillin-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci from nasal flora of healthy humans at three community institutions in Rio de Janeiro City., Epidemiol Infect., 127, 57-62.
- Nakamura, M.M., McAdam, A.J., Sandora, T.J. and Lee, G.M. (2010)., Higher prevalence of pharyngeal than nasal Staphylococcus aureus carriage in pediatric intensive care units., J. Clin. Microbiol., 48, 2957-2959.
- Garcıa -Rodrıguez, J.A. and Fresnadillo, M.J. (2002)., Dynamics of nasopharyngeal colonization by potential respiratory pathogens., J. Antimicrob. Chemother., 50, 59-74.
- Ekrem, K. and Meltem, Y. C. (2006)., Comparison of Staphylococcal Beta-lactamase detection methods., J Pharm Sci., 31, 79-84.
- Singhal, R., Dhawan, S., Mohanty, S., Sood, S., Kapil, A. and Dhawan, B. (2006)., Species distribution and antimicrobial susceptibility of Coagulase-negative Staphylococci in a tertiary care hospital., Ind. J Med Res., 123, 569-570.
- Udo, E E., Jacob, L. E. and Chugh, T. D. (2009)., Antimicrobial resistance of Coagulase -negative Staphylococci from a Kuwait hospital., Microb Drug Resist., 1, 315-320.
- Mohan. V., Jindal, N. and Aggarwal, P. (2002)., Species distribution and antibiotic sensitivity pattern of Coagulase-negative Staphylococci isolated from various clinical specimens., Ind. J. Med. Microbiol., 20, 45-46.
- Tiwari, H. K. and Sen, M. R. (2006)., Emergence of vancomycin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (VRSA) from a tertiary care hospital from northern part of India., BMC Infect Dis., 6, 156.
- Menesez, G. A., Harish, B. N., Sujatha, S., Vinathini, K., Parija, S. C. (2008)., Emergence of vancomycin intermediate staphylococcus species in southern India., J. Clin. Microbiol., 57, 911-912.
- Ogbulie, Jude N., Adieze, Ifechukwu E. and Nwankwo, Ngozi C. (2008)., Susceptibility pattern of some clinical bacterial isolates to selected antibiotics and disinfectants., Polish Journal of Microbiology, 57(3) 199-204.
- Nahaei, M. R., Shahmohammadi, M. R., Ebrahimi, S. and Milani, M. (2015)., Detection of Methicillin-Resistant Coagulase-Negative Staphylococci and Surveillance of Antibacterial Resistance in a Multi-Center Study from Iran., Jundishapur Journal of Microbiology, 8(8), e19945.
- Krumpermann, P. H. (1983)., Multiple antibiotics resistance indexing of E. coli to Identify high risks sources of faecal contamination of foods., Appl Environ. Microbiol., 46, 165-170.
- Goyal, R., Singh, N.P., Kumar, A., Kaur, I., Singh, M and Sumita, N. (2006)., Simple and economical methods of speciation and resistotyping of clinically significant Coagulase-negative Staphylococci., Ind. J. Med. Microbiol., 24, 201-204.
- Patricia, A. K., Shashikala, Sheela, D. C., Srinivasan, S., Reba, K. (2007)., Profile of Coagulase-negative Staphylococci associated with infections in a tertiary care hospital., Biomed., 21, 28.
- Rodríguez-Noriega, E., and Seas, C. (2010)., The changing pattern of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus clones in Latin America: implications for clinical practice in the region., Brazilian Journal of Infectious Diseases, 14(2), 87-96. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1413-86702010000800004