Infanticidal behaviour in Hanuman Langur, Semnopithecus entellus in and around Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India
- 1Animal Behaviour Unit, Department of Zoology, J.N.V. University, Jodhpur, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 9, Issue (3), Pages 48-51, August,10 (2020)
The Hanuman langur populace in Jodhpur city is very much concentrated in most recent multi year. During present investigation one abrupt occupant male substitution in a unimale indiscriminate troop at Mandore (B-8), Jodhpur (India) has been recorded. Troop having around 65 individuals including a grown-up male; 38 grown-up females, and others (newborn children of both the genders). The inhabitant male was there for last around two years. There are some 15-18 guys taking all things together male band (AMB-4) close by used to move toward the Mandore troop as often as possible. On April 4, 2018, there were three attacking guys moved toward the central troop. Be that as it may, the alpha male attempted to chase these trespassers however was not fruitful. Also, in four hours of vicious battles, the alpha male of androgynous troop\'s was encompassed by more abnormal guys. The occupant male was not found again in the following morning on fifth April. Three instances of newborn child assaults were seen after male substitution in a central troop by new alpha male. The most youthful baby, around three weeks assaulted by the new occupant male on April seventh, 2018. The dark coat baby discovered kicked the bucket following day. The new Alpha male was progressively forceful a considerable lot of the time after these assaults.
- Hrdy, S.B. (1979)., Infanticide among animals: A review, classification, and examination of the implication s for the reproductive strategies of females., Ethol. Sociobiol., 1, 13-40
- Struhsaker, T.T., Leland, L., Smuts, B.B., Cheney, D.L., Sayfarth, R.M., Wrangham, R.W., Struhsaker, T.T. (1987)., Colobines: Infanticide by Adult Males., Primate Societies Chicago, USA: The University of Chicago Press. 83-97.
- Kirchhoff, C.A., Wilson, M.L., Mjungu, D.C. (2018)., Infanticide in chimpanzees: taphonomic case studies from Gombe., Am J Phys Anthropol, 165, 108-122.
- Hausfater, G. & Hrdy, S. (1984)., Infanticide: Comparative and evolutionary perspective. New York: Aldine, undefined
- Sugiyama, Y. (1965)., The Social Change of Hanuman Langurs (Presbytis entellus) In Their Natural Condition., Primates, 6, 213-247.
- Mohnot, S.M. (1971)., Some aspects of social change and infant-killing in Hanuman langur, Presbytis entellus (Primates: Cercopithecidae) in western India., Mammalia., 35(2), 175-198.
- Makwana, S.C. 1979., Infanticide and social change in two groups of Hanuman langur, Semnopithecus entellusat Jodhpur., Primates, 20(2), 293-300.
- Agoramoorthy, G. and Mohnot, S.M. (1988)., Infanticide and juvenilicide in Hanuman Langurs (Presbytis entellus) around Jodhpur., India. Hum Evol 3, 275-296.
- Rajpurohit, L.S. and Chhangani, A.K. (2003)., Resident male change and infanticide in free ranging unimale bisexual troop of Hanuman langurs (Semnopithecus entellus) around Jodhpur (India)., Abstract of papers-73rd Annual Session of the National Academy of Sciences, India, October 2003, held at Ahmadabad, 72-73.
- Sharma, G., Chena, Ram and Rajpurohit, L.S. (2010)., A Case Study of Infanticide after Resident Male Replacement in Semnopithecus entellus around Jodhpur (India)., Proc. of Zoological Society., 63(2), 93-98.
- Sommer, V. And Mohnot, S.M. (1985)., New Observations on Infanticide Among Hanuman Langurs (Presbytis entellus) Near Jodhpur (Rajasthan, India)., Behaviour, Ecology and Sociobiology, 16, 245-248.
- Rajpurohit, L.S. (1987)., Male Social Organization of Hanuman Langurs (Presbytis entellus)., Ph.D. Thesis, University of Jodhpur, Jodhpur.
- Sharma, G., Swami, B., Ram, C. and Rajpurohit L. S. (2011)., Dead Infant Carrying in the Hanuman Langur (Semnopithecus entellus) Around Jodhpur (Rajasthan)., Laboratory Primate Newsletter; 50(1), 1-5.
- Rajpurohit, L.S.; Chhangani, A.K.; Rajpurohit, R.S. and Mohnot, S.M. (2003)., Observation on abrupt resident male replacements in a unimale bisexual troop of Hanuman langur, Semnopithecus entellus around Jodhpur., Folia Primatol., 74, 85-87.
- Arjun Singh,Goutam Sharma and L.S. Rajpurohit. (2018)., Mail Bias Infanticide after Resident Male Replacement in Semnopithecus entellus Around Jodhpur (India)., International Journal of Research and Analytical Reviews, 5(4), 2348 -1269.
- Hrdy, S.B. (1974). Male-male competition and infanticide among the langurs (Presbytis entellus) of Abu, Rajasthan., Folia Primatol., 22, 19-58., undefined
- Newton, P.N. (1986)., Infanticide In An Undisturbed Population of Forest Hanuman Langurs (Presbytis entellus)., Animal Behaviour, 34, 785-789.
- Borries, C. (1997)., Infanticide in seasonally breeding multimale groups of Hanuman langurs (Presbytis entellus) in Ramnagar (South Nepal)., Behav Ecol Sociobiol, 41, 139-150
- Ross, C. (1993)., Take-over and infanticide in South Indian Hanuman langurs (Presbytis entellus)., Am J Primatol; 30, 75-82.
- Rudran, R. (1979)., The demography and social mobility of a red howler (Alouatta seniculus) population in Venezuela. Vertebrate ecology in the northern neotropics., J. F. eisenberg, editors. washington, d.c.: smithsonian institution press., 107-126.
- Dufresne, P. (1797)., Sur une nouvelle espece de singe, park. Dufresne (Description dune nauvelle spece de guenon, sous le nom dantelle)., Bulleten de societies d philo mathique (Paris), 1(7), 49.
- Mohnot, S.M., Agoromoorthy, G., Rajpurohit, L.S. and Srivastava, A. (1987)., Ecobehavioural Studies Of Hanuman Langur, Presbytis entellus., Technical Report (1983-86) pp. IV +89. Mab Project, Department of Environment, Govt. of India, New Delhi, pp. ix + 87.
- Altmann, J. (1974)., Observational study of behavior: sampling methods., Behaviour, 49(3-4), 227-266.
- Hrdy, S.B. (1977)., The Langurs of Abu: Female and male strategies of Reproduction., Cambridge, London, Harward University Press.
- Zhao, D.P., Li, B.G., Groves, C.P., Watanabe, K. (2008)., Impact of male takeover on intra-unit sexual interactions and subsequent interbirth interval in wild Rhinopithecus roxellana., Folia Primatol, 79, 93-102.
- Jay, P.C. (1962)., Aspects of maternal behaviour among langurs. Ann. NewYork., Acad. of Sci., 102, 468-476.
- Rajpurohit, L.S. (1991)., Resident male replacement, formation of new male band and paternal behaviour in Presbytis entellus., Folia Primatol., 57, 159-164.
- Rajpurohit, L.S., A.K. Chhangani, R.S. Rajpurohit, N.R. Bhaker, D.S. Rajpurohit and G. Sharma. (2008)., Recent observation on Resident male Change followed by Infanticide in Hanuman langurs (Semnopithecus entellus) Around Jodhpur., Primate Report, 75, 33-40.
- Ren, B., Li, D. He X, Qiu J, Li M. (2011)., Female Resistance to Invading Males Increases Infanticide in Langurs., PLoS ONE, 6(4), e18971.
- Curtin, R.A. and Dolhinow, (1978)., Primate social behaviour in a changing world., Amer. Scient., 66, 468-475.
- Struhsaker, T.T. And Leland, L. (1985)., Infanticide in A Patrilineal Society of Red Colobus Monkeys., Zeitschrift Fur Tierpsychologie, 69, 89-132.
- Bayard Webster (1982)., Infanticide: Animal behavior scrutinized for clues to humans., The New York Times., Retrieved 2008-01-18.