Satureja thymbra aqueous and ethanol extracts antibacterial activity
- 1Department of Biology & Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, An-Najah National University, Nablus, P.O. Box 7, Palestine
- 2Department of Biology & Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, An-Najah National University, Nablus, P.O. Box 7, Palestine
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 9, Issue (3), Pages 38-42, August,10 (2020)
The concern toward using herbs around the world for the treatment of infectious diseases is increased during this century. Based on that, the following conducted experiment was performed to detect the effectiveness of using ethanol and aqueous extracts from Satureja thymbra L. (Lamiaceae) that is growing wild in Palestine. The bioactivity of both aqueous and ethanol extracts was tested against Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 27853), Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 25923) and other two clinical isolates which are Klebsiella pneumoniae and Proteus mirabilis. Well susceptibility method and micro-broth dilution method were utilized to examine the antibacterial potential for both extract types under investigation. The obtained results showed that S. thymbra ethanol extract was better than aqueous one as it produced (10, 30, 16 and 12 mm) inhibition zones against K. pneumoniae, P. mirabilis, P. aeruginosa and S. aureus respectively. Meanwhile, S. thymbra aqueous extract had an impact on P. mirabilis with 20 mm zone of inhibition. The MIC results of the running experiment showed that ethanol extract exhibited a powerful inhibitory behavior as it prevented the growth of all tested microorganisms in a concentration range between 6.25 mg/ml and 25 mg/ml. Moreover, S. thymbra aqueous extract showed a moderate inhibition potential at 50 mg/ml MIC values to all examined bacterial isolates expect for K. pneumoniae clinical isolate. In conclusion, the acquired results confirmed the possibility of employing S. thymbra extracts in medicine and pharmaceutical industry of new drugs against some pathogenic bacteria.
- Imelouane, B., Amhamdi, H., Wathelet, J.P., Ankit, M., Khedid, K. and El Bachiri, A. (2009)., Chemical composition of the essential oil of thyme (Thymus vulgaris) from Eastern Morocco., Int. J. Agric. Biol., 11, 205-208.
- Sampathkumar, S. and Ramakrishnan, N. (2011)., Chromatographic finger print analysis of Naringi crenulata by HPTLC Technique., Asian Pac. J. Trop. Biomed., 1, S 195-S198.
- Santos, A.L., Chierice, G.O., Alexander, K.S., Riga, A. and Matthews, E. (2009)., Characterization of the raw essential oil eugenol extracted from Syzygium aromaticum L., J. Therm. Anal. Calorim., 96, 821-825.
- Giweli, A., Džamić, A.M., Soković, M., Ristić, M.S. and Marin, P.D. (2012)., Antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of essential oils of Satureja thymbra growing wild in Libya., Molecules, 17, 4836-4850.
- Chater, A. O., & Webb, D. A. (1972)., Orobanche., Flora Europaea, 3, 286-293.
- Simon, J. E., Chadwick, A. F. and Craker, L. E. (1984)., Herbs: an indexed bibliography, 1971-1980. The scientific literature on selected herbs and medicinal plants of the temperate zone., Hamden, Connecticut, Archon Books, pp 770.
- Griffin, S.G., Wyllie, S.G., Markham, J.L. and Leach, D.N. (1999)., The role of structure and molecular properties of terpenoids in determining their antimicrobial activity., Flavour. Fragr J., 14, 322-332.
- Dorman, H.J.D. and Deans, S.G. (2000)., Antimicrobial agents from plants: antibacterial activity of plant volatile oils., J. Appl. Microbiol., 88, 308-316.
- GÖren, A.C., Topçu, G., Bilsel, G., Bilsel, M., Wilkinson, J.M. and Cavanagh, H. (2004)., Analysis of essential oil of Satureja thymbra by hydrodistillation, thermal desorber, and headspace GC/MS techniques and its antimicrobial activity., Nat. Product. Res., 18, 189-195.
- Sarac, N. and Ugur, A. (2008)., Antimicrobial activities of the essential oils of Origanum onites L, Origanum vulgare L. subspecies hirtum (Link) Ietswaart, Satureja thymbra L and Thymus cilicicus Boiss and Bal growing wild in Turkey., J. Med. Food., 11, 568-573.
- Azaz, A.D., KÜrkcÜoglu, M., Satil, F., Baser, C.K.H. and TÜmen, G. (2005)., In vitro antimicrobial activity and chemical composition of some Satureja essential oils., J. Flav. Fragr., 20, 587-591.
- Omar, G., Abdallah, L.A., Ismail, S. and Almasri, M.Y. (2013)., Screening of selected medicinal wild plant extracts antibacterial effect as natural alternatives., Int. J. Indig. Med. Plants., 46, 1299-1304.
- Villanova, P.A. (1999)., NCCLS - National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards. Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility tests: Approved standards., (NCCLS Publication M2-A5).
- Wayne, P.A. (2000)., NCCLS - National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards NCCLS. Methods for Dilution antimicrobial susceptibility tests for bacteria that grow aerobically: Approved standards., 5 ed, (NCCLS document M7-A5).
- Balkan, C.E., Kordali, S. and BozhÜyÜk, A.U. (2018)., Antimicrobial Effect of Plant Oils against Some Bacterias Izolated from Patients Samples., J. Mol. Genet. Med., 12, 318.
- Ali-Shtayeh, M.S., Al-Assali, A.A. and Jamous, R.M. (2013)., Antimicrobial activity of Palestinian medicinal plants against acne-inducing bacteria., Afr. J. Microbiol. Res., 7(21), 2560-2573.
- Khoury, M., Stien, D., Eparvier, V., Ouaini, N. and El Beyrouthy, M. (2016)., Report on the Medicinal Use of Eleven Lamiaceae Species in Lebanon and Rationalization of Their Antimicrobial Potential by Examination of the Chemical Composition and Antimicrobial Activity of Their Essential Oils., Evid. Based. Complement. Alternat. Med., 2016, 1-17.
- Kizil, S., Hasimi, N. and Tolan, V. (2014)., Biological Activities of Origanum, Satureja, Thymbra and Thymus Species Grown in Turkey., J. Essent. Oil-Bear. Plants., 17(3), 460-468.
- Marković, T., Chatzopoulou, P., Siljegović, J., Nikolic, M., Glamočlija, J., Ćirić, A. and Soković, M.D. (2011)., Chemical analysis and antimicrobial activities of the essential oils of Satureja thymbra L. and Thymbra spicata L. and their main components., Molecules., 17(5), 4836-4850.
- Chorianopoulos, N., Kalpoutzakis, E., Aligiannis, N., Mitaku, S., Nychas, G.-J. E. and Haroutounian, S. A. (2004)., Essential oils of Satureja, Origanum and Thymus species: chemical composition and antibacterial activities against foodborne pathogens., J. Agric. Food. Chem., 52, 8261-8267.
- Kizil, S., Hasimi, N., Tolan, V. and Kilic, E. (2010)., Mineral Content, Essential Oil Components and Biological Activity of Two Mentha Species (M. piperita L., M. spicata L.)., Turk. J. Field. Crops., 15, 148-153.
- Ravid, U. and Putievsky, E. (1985)., Composition of essential oils of Thymbra spicata and Satureja thymbra chemotypes., Planta. Med., 51, 337-338.
- Baser, K.H.C. (2002)., Aromatic biodiversity among the flowering plant taxa of Turkey., Pure Appl. Chem., 74, 527-525.
- Abdallah, L. and Omar, G. (2019)., Antibacterial effect of some wild medicinal plants in Palestine against multidrug resistant Escherichia coli clinical isolate., Braz. J. Biol. Sci., 6(12), 103-113.