Notes on food and feeding habits of oriental magpie robin (copsychus saularis)
- 1Research and Development Centre, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore-641 046, Tamil Nadu, India
- 2M.E.S. Mampad College, Malappuram District-676 542, Kerala, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 9, Issue (3), Pages 29-32, August,10 (2020)
Magpie Robin is a very common bird found in a variety of habitats like open woodlands, electric cables on roadside, cultivated lands and paddy fields close to human dwellings. It is a variety feeder. The food composition varies from insects to reptiles. The present study is conducted in eight locations during the period from 2016 to-2018. The study shows that the above bird is acting as a pest since it preys upon the larvae of soldier flies, Hermetia spp, which are highly useful for the decomposition of house hold wastes.
- Ali S. and Repley S.D. (2001)., Hand book of the Birds of India and Pakisthan., Oxford University Press, New Delhi.
- Ali S. and Ripley S.D. (1973)., Hand book of the Birds of India and Pakistan., Warblers to Redstarts (Vol-8), Oxford University press.
- Ali S. and Ripley S.D. (2001)., Hand book of Birds of India and Pakistan., Warblers to Redstarts, Oxford University press.
- Ali S. and Ripley S.D. (2002)., Hand book of Birds of India and Pakistan., Warblers to Redstarts, Oxford University press.
- Bhatt D., Kumar A., Singh Y. and Pagne R.B. (2000)., Terrestrial songs and calls of the Oriental Magpie Robin Copsychus saularis., Current science, 78, 722-728.
- Bhatt D, Sethi V K, Kumar A and Sing A (2014)., Some notes on the breeding behavior of the oriental Magpie Robin (Copsychus saularis) from Uttarakhand, India., Journal of Sustainability Science and Management, 9(1), 112-119.
- Aguon, C. F and Conant S. (1994)., Breeding Biology of the white-rumped Shama on Oahu Hawaii., Wilson Bulletin, 106, 311-328.
- Walter Reeves (2009)., The Georgia Gardener. Drone fly, rat tailed maggot Eristalis tenax (Linnaeus)-UF Entomology and Nematology., www.entnemdept.ufl.edu. 5 February 2009.
- R.J. Douthwaite and C.H. Fry (1982)., Food and feeding behavior of the little beef eater Meropspusillus in relation to Tsetse fly control by insecticides., Biological conservation, 23(1982), 71-78
- Oliarnyk, C. J., and Robertson, R. J. (1996)., Breeding Behavior and Reproductive Success of Cerulean Warblers in Southern Ontario., Wilson Bulletin, 108, 673-684.
- Kumar, A. (2010)., Breeding Biology of Pied Bush Chat Saxicola caprata with Reference to the Contextual Analysis of its Acoustic Signals, Ph. D., Dissertation. Gurukula Kangri University, Haridwar, India, undefined
- George J.C. (1961)., Parental cooperation in the feeding of nestlings in the Indian robin, Saxicooidesfulicata., J. Bombay nat. Hist. Soc., 56, 4.
- Kumar A (2003)., Acoustic communication in birds: Differences in songs and calls, their production and biological significance., Resonance, 8, 44-55
- Ashitha T. and Seedikkoya K. (2017)., Observations on the breeding biology of the Oriental magpie robin (Copsychussaularis) from malappuram district, Kerala., Global journal of multidisciplinary studies, 6(8).
- Anilkumar (2011)., Breeding Biology of Indian Robin Saxicoloidesfulicata in Northern India., J. Exp. Zool. India, 15(1), 5761,2012.
- Daniel Bardsley (2018)., Meet the black soldier fly: The new weapon in the war against food waste., https//www.thenational.ae/uae/science.18August, 2018.
- James Castner (2009)., Hermetiaillucens-UF/IFAS entomology., University of Florida (Figure 4-Pupa of Black soldier fly). www.entnemdept.ufl.edu.14July, 2009.
- Komdeur J. (1996)., Breeding of the Seychelles magpie robin Copsychussechellarum and implications for its conservation., Indian Birds, 138, 485-498
- Sreekar R. (2010)., A Study on the habits of Oriental Magpie-Robin Copsychus saularis., Indian Birds, 5(5).