Water quality monitoring of the river Mahananda near a sewage disposal point at Malda, West Bengal, India
- 1Department of Botany, University of Kalyani, Kalyani-741235, West Bengal, India
- 2Department of Botany, University of Kalyani, Kalyani-741235, West Bengal, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 9, Issue (3), Pages 7-13, August,10 (2020)
The Mahananda river is a vital river in India and Bangladesh, because the people of both the countries use the river water continuously and other people of Malda are highly captivated with this river water. But, at this point being the river Mahananda is facing a heavy as well as microbial pollution problem thanks to several reasons. The aim of this study is to gauge that the water quality of the river and mainly to analyse the suitability for various purposes like drinking, agricultural and industrial uses. This can be why this study on the Mahananda River is extremely more important for this area. In this study, samples from disposition sampling stations of north bank of the river Mahanada near Mahananda bridge were collected in Feb. 2019 to July 2019 and evaluate the various water quality of this river. The physicochemical evaluated values of these sampling stations continuously exceeded the upper permissible limit. The bacteriological parameters are within the river Mahananda showed that the coliform organisms and a few pathogenic bacteria is extensively high within the river water which indicates that the unsuitable to use of direct water for any domestic activities by the municipality areas of Malda town.
- Shil1 S, Singh UK and Mehta P, (2019)., Water quality assessment of a tropical river using water quality index (WQI), multivariate statistical techniques and GIS., Applied Water Science, 9, 168.
- Shelford, V.E. (1917)., An experimental study of the effects of gas wastes upon fishes with special reference to stream pollution., Ball.111. Lab. Nat. Hist, 11, 381-412.
- Chiba, and Takahashi, K. (1997) Studies on heavy metal pollution in agricultural land (2) Absorption of cadmium and growth retardation in forage crops., Bull. Shikoku. Agri. Exp. Station, 30, 49-73., undefined
- Singh UK and Kumar B (2017)., Pathways of heavy metals contamination and associated human health risk in Ajay River basin, India., Chemosphere, 174, 183-199.
- Sugmar R and Anandharaj B. (2016)., Assessment of Bacterial Load in the Fresh water Lake System of Tamil.,
- Misaghi F, Delgosha F, Razzaghmanesh M, Myers B (2017)., Introducing a water quality index for assessing water for irrigation purposes: a case study of the Ghezel Ozan River., Sci Total Environ, 589, 107-116.
- Jason , B. Cullen, P. Dixon, G. and P emberton M. (1995), Monitoring and management of stream bank erosion and natural vegetation on the lower Gordon river Jasmanianwiderness world heritage area, Australia., Environmental management, 19(2) 259-272.
- Janakiram. K. (1974)., Studies on systematics and on some aspects of Ecology of fresh water, esturine and terrestrial molluscs of Guntur., 247 (Unpublished).
- Ranee, S. J., and Vasantha S., (2010)., Physico Chemical Analysis of Bore Well Water Samples of Anaiyur Area In Madurai District, Tamilnadu, Indua., J. Curr. Sci., 15(2), 403-408.
- Agrawal, D.K. Gaur, S.D. Tiwari, T.C., Narayanaswami, M. S. aid and Marwah, S. M. (1976)., Physico-chemical characteristics of the Ganges at Varanasi, India., J. Env. Health, 18, 201-206.
- Bhade Andr, D. L. E. Khadsan (2014)., Physico-Chemical Analysis of Ground Water in Sangrampur Tehsil of Buldana District, Maharastra., Am. Int. J. Res. Formal, Appl. Natural Sci., 6(1), 70-72.
- Reddy, K.R. (1981)., Diel variation of certain physico - chemical Parameters of Water in selected aquatic systems., Hydrobiol, 85, 201-207.
- Kataria H.C. and Ambhore S. (2012)., Pre-and post-monsoon physico-chemical assessment of drinking water quality of Gandinagar Area of Bhopal., Current World Environment, 7(2), 309-311.
- Sahoo, M., M. Mahananda and Prabhati Seth (2016), Physico-Chemical Analysis of Surface and Ground Water Around Talcher Coal Field, District Angul, Odisha, India., J. Geoscience Environ. Protect., 4, 26-37.
- Mazumder M, Pramanik S, Mondal SK, and Rohatgi S (2015)., Assessment of water quality of river Mahananda, West Bengal, India., International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development, 11(2), 22-26.
- APHA (2005)., Standard method for examination of water and waste water., 21st Edition, Washington D.C.
- Boelee, S. R., and E. Matsuno (2006)., Evaluation of Thermotolerant Coliform and Salinity in the four Available Water Sources of an Irrigated Region of Southern Sri Lanka Irrigation and Drainage., 133-146.
- Erikson, E. (1977)., Water Chemistry and water quality., Ambio., 6(1), 7, 27-30.
- Trivedi, R.K. and Goel, P.K. (1984)., Current Publication Researches in India (Edited)., Environmental Publication, India.
- Kumar, R., A. Chauhan and L. Rawat (2017)., Physico-Chemical Analysis of Surface Water and Ground Water in Selected Sites of Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India., J. Environ Anol Toxicol., 6, 420.
- Verma, N.K. (1993)., Studies on the drinking water and irrigation water resources of industrial state of Manideep., Ph. D. Thesis in Zoology, Barkatuliah University, Bhopal.
- Kumar B and Singh UK (2018)., Source apportionment of heavy metals and their ecological risk in a tropical river basin system., Environ Sci Pollut Res., https ://doi.org/10.1007/s1135 6-018-2480-6
- Mishra, S. (1993)., Water quality, primary productivity of macrophytes and heavy metal toxicity to aquatic ecosystem., Ph. D. Thesis in Botany, B.H.U.
- Trusdale, G.A. and Wellings, R.A. (1983)., Organisation of sewage and Industrial sludge utilization., Agrochemica., 27(1), 79-93.