Seasonal variations of zooplankton in an aquatic pond near Bagbazar, Chandannagar, Hooghly, WB, India
- 1Dept. of Environmental Science, Chandernagore College, Chandannagar, Hooghly - 712 136, West Bengal, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 9, Issue (2), Pages 39-42, May,10 (2020)
Seasonal variations of zooplankton in an aquatic pond near Bagbazar, Chandannagar, Hooghly, W.B. was studied during the period of March, 2018 to February, 2019. Four seasons viz., summer (Mach-May, 2018), monsoon (June-September, 2018), post-monsoon (Ocober-November, 2018) and winter (December-February, 2019) were selected for the study. During the study period 10 different genera of zooplanktons of different groups (rotifera, cladocera, copepoda and ostracoda) were collected and identified. Maximum abundance of zooplankton species were found during summer and monsoon season. Rotifers were found dominant groups during the study period.
- Patel, V., Shukla, S.N. and Patel, V.K. (2013)., Studies on the Diversity of zooplankton and their seasonal variations in Govindsagar lake at Rewa (M.P)., Ind. J. Appl. Res., 3(11), 544-546. https://www.worldwidejournals.com doi: 10.15373/2249555x
- Alam, A.K.M.N., Islam, M.A., Mollah, M.F.A. and Haque, M.S. (1987)., Status of zooplankton newly constructed pond and their relation to some meteorological and limnologic factors., Bangladesh Journal of fisheries, 10(1), 83-88.
- Jeppensen, E., Jensen, J.P., Sondergaard, M. and Lauridsen, T.L. (1999)., Trophic dynamics in turbid and Clearwater lakes with special emphasis on the role of zooplankton for water clarity., Hydrobiologia, 408/409, 217-231. https://www.semanticscholar.org doi:10.1023/A:10170716 00 486
- Ramchandra, T.V. and Solanki, M. (2007)., Ecological Assessement of Lentic Water Bodies of Bangalore., Envis Technical Report: 25. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. http://ces.iisc.ernet.in/energy/, http://ces.iisc. ernet.in/biodiversity
- Ahamad, V., Parveen, S., Khan, A.A., Kabir, H.A., Mola, H.R.A. and Ganai, A.H. (2011)., Zooplankton population in relation to physiochemical factors of the sewage fed pond of Aligarh (U.P) India., Biol. Medic., 3, 336-341.
- Mola, H.R. (2011)., Seasonal and Spatial distribution of Brachionus (Pallas, 1966; Eurotatoria: Monogoranta: Brachionidae), A bioindicator of eutrophication in Lake El-Manzalah., Egypt. Biol. Medi., 3(2), 60-69.
- Das, S. M. (1959)., Studies on freshwater plankton, III: Qualitative composition and seasonal fluctuations in plankton components., Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., India., 29, 174-189.
- Zafer, A.R (1964)., On the ecology of algae in certain fish ponds of Hydrabad India. Part of Thesis, Osmania Universtiy, Hyderabad., Hydrobiogia, 23, 179-195.
- Dhanpathi, M.V.S.S. (2000)., Taxonomic notes on the rotifers from India (1989-2000)., Indian Association of Aquatic Biologists (IAAB) Hyderabad.
- Sugunan, V.V. et al. (2000)., Ecology and fisheries of West Bengal CIFRI report, ICAR New Delhi.
- Park, K.S. and Shin, H.W. (2007)., Studies on phyto-and-zooplankton composition and its relation to fish productivity in a west coast fish pond ecosystem., J. Env. Biol., 28(2), 415-422.
- Mallin, M.A., Paerl, H.W. and Rudek, J. (1991)., Seasonal phytoplankton composition, productivity and biomass in the Neuse River Estuary, North Carolina., Estur. Coast. Shelf. Sci., 32(6), 609-623. https://doi.org/10.1016/0272-7714(91) 90078-P
- Guillermo, C. (2009)., The use of phytoplankton patterns of diversity for algal bloom management., Limnologica, 39(3), 225-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.limno.2008.04.00
- Battish, S.K. (1992)., Freshwater Zooplankton of India., Oxford and IBH publication Co. New Delhi, pp 1-233. ISBN: 8120407091, 9788120407091
- APHA (1998)., Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater 20th edition., American Public Health association, Washington DC.
- Sewell, R.B.S (1934)., Studies on the bionomics of freshwater in India. On fauna of the tank in the Indian Museum compound and seasonal changes., Int.Rev.ges. Hydobiol.
- Gophen, J.M. (1972)., Zooplankton in lake kinnerel Israel 1967 - 70., Isral J. Zool., 21, 117-27.
- Das, S.M. and Srivastava, V.K. (1956)., Some new observation on plankton from fresh water ponds and lakes of Lukhnow., India. Sci. & cull., 21(8), 466-467.
- Nasar, S.A.K. (1973)., The zooplankton fauna of Bhagapur Rotifera., J. Bh. U., 6, 55-62.
- Egborge, A.B.M. (1981)., The composition, seasonal variation and the distribution of zooplankton in Lake Asejire, Nigeria., Revue de Zoologie Africaine, 95, 136-144.
- Laal, A.K. (1984)., Ecology of planktonic Rotifers in New Delhi a tropical freshwater pond in Patna Bihar., Indian J. Anim sci., 54, 291-294.
- Sharma, A.K. and Pant, M.C. (1979)., Certain physico chemical features chlorophyll concentration and zooplankton population in a high attidue lake., Trop. Ecol., 20(1), 101-113.
- Rocha, O., Matsumura-Tundisi, T., Espindola, E.L.G., Roche, K.F. and Rietzler, A.C. (1999)., Ecological theory applied to reservoir zooplankton. Workshop, Theoretical reservoir ecology and its applications., International Institute of Ecology, Leiden, Backhuys. pp 457-476. ISBN: 8587418025
- Sarkar, S.K. and Chaudhary, B. (1999)., Role of some environmental factors on the fluctuations of plankton in a lentic pond at Calcutta., Limnological research in India. Daya publishing house. pp 108-130. ISBN: 0-08-0967579-5
- Muylaert, K.S., Declerck, S.A.S., Geenens, J.V., Wichelen, H., Deegans, J., Vandekerkhove, K.V. and Vyverman, W. (2003)., Zooplankton, phytoplankton and the microbial food web in two turbid and two clear shallow lakes in Belgium., Aquat. Ecol., 37, 137-150. https://www. semanticscholar.org doi:10.1023/A: 1023988 702926
- Sousa, W., Jose, L., Attayde, Elinez Dasilva, Rocha and Eneida Maria Eskinazi- Santanna (2008)., The response of zooplankton assemblages to variations in the water quality of four man-made lakes in semi-arid northeastern Brazil., J. Plankton Research, 30(6), 699- 708. https://www.researchgate.net doi:10.1093/plankt/fbn032
- Rajagopal, T., Thangamani, A., Sevarkodiyone, S.P., Sekar, M., and Archunan, G. (2010)., Zooplankton diversity and physico-chemical conditions in three perennial ponds of Virudhunagar district, Tamilnadu., Journal of Environmental Biology., 31, 265-272.
- Mukherjee, P. (2011)., Statically analysis of biodiversity of zooplankton population in a filthy Trapa-cum-Fish cultured pond of central India., Int. J. Zool. Res., 1(2), 24-29.
- Ikpi, G. U., Offem, B. and Okey, I. (2013)., Plankton distribution and diversity in tropical earthen fish ponds., Env. Nat. Resou. Res., 3(3), 45-51. https://www. researchgate.net doi: 10.5539/enrr.v3n3p45