Enhancement of plant potential using IAA
- 1Department of Botany, Saldiha College (Affiliated to Bankura university), Saldiha-722 173, Bankura, West Bengal, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 9, Issue (1), Pages 25-26, February,10 (2020)
Pretreatment of horse-gram (Dolichos biflorus L.) seeds with indole acetic acid (IAA) for 4 hours (2+2 instalments) before accelerated ageing treatment (99.1% RH and 32±2oC) for the durations of zero(0) to 30 days slowed down the rapid loss of percentage germination and reduced percentage field emergence because of ageing. Performance of the plants was found to be much better in the IAA pretreatments as indicated by the higher protein content and activity of peroxidase enzyme. Results, therefore, pointed out that the pretreated seeds achieved higher seed potential and thus enhanced the production of healthier plants.
- Pati C.K. and Bhattacharjee A. (2012)., Sunflower seed invigoration by chemical manipulation., Agricultural Journal, 7(1), 26-31.
- Heydecker W. (1972)., Viability of Seeds., Chapman and Hall Ltd., London, 209-252.
- Delouche J.C. and Baskin C.C. (1973)., Accelerated ageing techniques for predicting the relative storability of seed lots., Seed Sci. & Technol., 1, 427-452.
- Basu R.N. (1994)., An appraisal of research on wet and dry physiogical seed treatments and their applicability with special reference to tropical and subtropical countries., Seed Sci. & Technol., 22, 107-126.
- Richa and Sharma M.L. (2003)., Role of exogenously applied plant growth regulators in enhancing the viability of Cepholostachyum pergracile Munro seeds at various intervals of seed ageing., Indian. Indian J. Plant Physiol., Special Issue, 8(1), 236-239.
- International Seed Testing Association (1976)., International Rules for Seed Testing., Seed Sci. & Technol., 4, 51-177.
- Lowry O.H., Rosebrough N.J., Farr A.L. and Randall R.J. (1951)., Protein measurement with the Folin-phenol reagent., J. Biol. Chem., 193, 265-275.
- Kar M. and Mishra D. (1976)., Catalase, peroxidase, polyphenol oxidase activities during rice leaf senescence., Plant Physiol., 57, 315-319.
- Fick N.G. and Qualset C.O. (1975)., Genetic control of endosperm amylase activity and gibberellin responses in standard height and short statured wheat., Proceedings of National Academy of Science. USA, 72(3), 892-895.
- Panse V.G. and Sukhatme P.T. (1967)., Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers., ICAR, New Delhi, 2nd edition, 150-157.
- Halder S., Koley S. and Gupta K. (1983)., On the mechanism of sunflower seed deterioration under two different types of accelerated ageing., Seed Sci. Technol., 11, 331-339.
- Pati C.K. and Bhattacharjee A. (2013)., Chemical Manipulation for Storage Potentiation of Crop Seeds., LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing (ISBN: 978-3-659-38761-6), Germany.
- Ojha S., Pati C.K. and Bhattacharjee A. (2012)., Seed invigouration and plant potentiation of two pulse crop cultivars under stressful storage condition., Journal of Botanical Society of Bengal, 66(1), 63-67.
- Pati C.K. and Bhattacharjee A. (2011)., Chemical manipulation of seed invigouration and plant potentiation of two promising pulse crops under stressful storage condition., Indian Journal of Biological Sciences, 17, 15-22.
- Pati C.K. and Bhattacharjee A. (2017)., Storage Potentiation of a pea seed species under accelerated ageing condition., International Journal on Agricultural Sciences, 28(1), 30-34.
- Pati C.K., Bhattacharjee A., Roy P., Mahanty D.S. and Panda S. (2018)., Chemical-induced seed germination and enhancement of seed potential of seven wild plant taxa of Ericaceae in India., World Scientific News, 114, 249-255.