A review on effect of different plant extract against multidrug resistant bacteria
- 1Department of Microbiology, KLE Society's Institute of Dental Sciences, Bangalore, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 8, Issue (5), Pages 29-32, May,10 (2019)
Multidrug resistance in bacteria is current problems for which many researches are being conducted to find a solution. There are different resistance mechanisms which the bacteria's have been adopting like mutation, by passing the target, efflux pumps etc. Herbal medicine has now drawn attention of world. Use of plant extracts against the bacterial could possibly reduce the antibiotic resistant which is mostly prevailing at present. Aloe Vera, Ginger, Garlic etc. have shown significant antibacterial activity against the multidrug resistant bacteria. In most of the studies Disk diffusion method was seen as the most commonly used method in finding the susceptibility of the extracts followed by determining the extracts Minimum inhibitory concentration. This is a review on resistance mechanism adopted by bacteria, and plant extract which have shown significant activity against the gram negative and gram positive bacteria.
- Rashmi S. and Bhuvneshwar K. (2005)., Antibacterial resistance: current problems and possible solutions., Indian journal of medical sciences, 59(3), 120-129.
- Chung A., Perera R., Brueggemann A.B., Elamin A.E., Harnden A., Mayon-White R. and Mant D. (2007)., Effect of antibiotic prescribing on antibiotic resistance in individual children in primary care: prospective cohort study., Bmj, 335(7617), 429.
- Morgan D.J., Rogawski E., Thom K.A., Johnson J.K., Perencevich E.N., Shardell M. and Harris A.D. (2012)., Transfer of multidrug-resistant bacteria to healthcare workers' gloves and gowns after patient contact increases with environmental contamination., Crit Care Med., 40(4), 1045-1051.
- Mandal S., DebMandal M., Saha K. and Pal N.K. (2011)., In Vitro Antibacterial Activity of three Indian Spices against Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus., Oman Med J., 26(5), 319-323.
- Joshi B., Lekhak S. and Sharma A. (2009)., Antibacterial property of different medicinal plants: Ocimum sanctum, Cinnamomum zeylanicum, Xanthoxylum armatum and Origanum majorana., Kathmandu university journal of science, engineering and technology, 5(1), 143-150.
- World Health Organization (2008)., Fact sheet no. 134: Traditional medicine., Geneva: World Health Organization. [Online] Available from: http://who.int/ mediacentre/factsheets/ fs134/en/.[Accessed on September, 2013].
- Nikaido Hiroshi (2009)., Multidrug Resistance in Bacteria., Annu Rev Biochem., 78, 119-146.
- Munita J.M. and Arias C.A. (2016)., Mechanisms of Antibiotic Resistance., Microbiol Spectr., 4(2).
- Gangoue-Pieboji J., Eze N., Djintchui A.N., Ngameni B., Tsabang N., Pegnyemb D.E. and Galleni M. (2009)., The in-vitro antimicrobial activity of some medicinal plants against β-lactam-resistant bacteria., The Journal of Infection in Developing Countries, 3(09), 671-680.
- Ekanola Y.A., Ogunshe A.A., Bajela T.T., Ajimosun M.A. and Okeowo A.W. (2013)., In vitro inhibitory potentials of crude plant extracts on multidrug resistant bacterial species from infected human wounds., Int J Green Pharm, 7, 149-154.
- Oskay M., Oskay D. and Kalyoncu F. (2009)., Activity of Some Plant Extracts against Multi-Drug Resistant Human Pathogens., Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 8(4), 293-300.
- Khan R., Islam B., Akram M., Shakil S., Ahmad A.A., Ali S.M. and Khan A. (2009)., Antimicrobial activity of five herbal extracts against multi drug resistant (MDR) strains of bacteria and fungus of clinical origin., Molecules, 14(2), 586-597.
- Jayachandran V.P., Chayani N., Nair S. and Appukuttan G. (2012)., A study on the prevalence of multiple drug resistant pseudomonas aeruginosa (MDRPA) among clinical isolates and efficacy of water extracts of selected medicinal plants against MDRPA., IJBPAS, 1(6), 857-869.
- Surjushe A., Vasani R. and Saple D.G. (2008)., Aloe vera: A short review., Indian J Dermatol, 53(4), 163-166.
- Akinniyi A.P., Oluwaseun E., Mopelola D.A.A., Mosunmola O.J., Remi R.A.R. and Afolabi O. (2013)., Susceptibility of multi-antibiotic resistant bacteria strains in Abeokuta, Nigeria to Aloe vera juice., American Journal of Research Communication, 1(9), 56-64.
- Sahu M.C. and Padhy R.N. (2013)., In vitro antibacterial potency of Butea monosperma Lam. against 12clinically isolated multidrug resistant bacteria., Asian Pac J Trop Dis, 3(3), 217-226.
- Vyas P. and Patil S. (2012)., Effect of essential oils on MDR pathogens: a comparative study., J Environ Res Dev, 6(3), 462-466.
- Gull I., Saeed M., Shaukat H., Aslam S.M., Samra Z.Q. and Athar A.M. (2012)., Inhibitory effect of Allium sativum and Zingiber officinale extracts on clinically important drug resistant pathogenic bacteria., Annals of clinical microbiology and antimicrobials, 11(1), 8.
- Howell A.B. and D, The Pomegranate: Effects on Bacteria and Viruses That Influence Human Health., Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 11. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/606212
- Phatthalung P.N., Chusri S. and Voravuthikunchai S.P. (2012)., Thai ethnomedicinal plants as resistant modifying agents for combating Acinetobacter baumannii infections., BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 12, 56.
- Anas K., Jayashree P.R., Vijayakumar T. and Kumar Manish P.R. (2008)., In vitro activity of Psidium guajava Linn. leaft extract on clinical isolates of multidrug resistant staphylococcus aureus., Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, 46, 41-46.
- George S., Benny P.J., Sunny K. and Cincy G. (2011)., Antibiotic activity of 2, 3-dihydroxybenzoic acid isolated from Flacourtia inermis fruit against multidrug resistant bacteria., Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, 4(1), 126-130.
- Bernaitis L., Shobha K.L., Ashok M., Shenoy R.P., Mathew J. and Khan D.M. (2013)., Comparitive evaluation of the antimicrobial activity of ethanol extract of Taxus baccata, Phyllanthus debilis and Plectranthus amboinicus against multidrug resistant bacteria., IJPSR, 4(8), 3147-3150.
- Gopinath R. and Prakash M. (2013)., Antibacterial activity of three medicinal plants against clinically isolated multidrug resistant Enterococcus faecalis (MDRE)., Int.J.Curr.Microbiol. App. Sci, 2(2), 6-14.
- Dahiya P. and Purkayastha S. (2012)., Phytochemical screening and antimicrobial activity of some medicinal plants against multi-drug resistant bacteria from clinical isolates., Indian journal of pharmaceutical sciences, 74(5), 443-450.
- Masoud E.A. and Gouda H.A. (2012)., Effect of some natural plant extracts against gram negative bacteria in Njran Area, Saudi Arabia., Egypt. Acad. J. Biolog. Sci., 4(1), 85-92.
- Bhatia Mamta and Sharma Alka (2012)., Inhibitory activities of Brassica nigra, Cinnamomum cassia (Blume) and Cuminum cyminum towards Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus., Archives of Applied Science Research, 4 (4), 1811-1815.
- David M., Bharath K.R. and Bhavani M. (2011)., Study of Calotropis gigantea R. Br. Extracts on Growth and Survival Dynamics of Selected Pathogenic Microorganisms., International Journal of Biological Engineering, 1(1), 1-5.
- Kumar G., Karthik L. and Rao K.V.B. (2010)., Antibacterial activity of aqueous extract of Calotropis gigantea leaves-an in vitro study., International journal of pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research, 4(2), 141-144.
- Sen A. and Batra A. (2012)., Determination of antimicrobial potentialities of different solvent extracts of the medicinal plant: Phyllanthus amarus Schum. And Thonn., Int J Green Pharm, 6, 50-56.
- jasim Alyaa Sabti (2012)., Antibacterial activity of oils extracts of Brassica nigra seeds on some bacteria isolated from plaque and healthy teeth in children (1-5) years., Basrah Journal of Scienec, 30(1), 105-119.
- Obi R.K., Nwanebu F.C., Ndubuisi U.U. and Orji N.M. (2009)., Antibacterial qualities and phytochemical screening of the oils of Curcubita pepo and Brassica nigra., Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 3(5), 429-432.
- Prabuseenivasan S., Jayakumar M. and Ignacimuthu S. (2006)., In vitro antibacterial activity of some plant essential oils., BMC complementary and alternative medicine, 6(1), 39.
- Cowan M.M. (1999)., Plant products as antimicrobial agents., Clinical microbiology reviews, 12(4), 564-582.
- Imran M., Lawrence R., Alam M.N., Shariq M. and Kumar E.J. (2012)., Synergistic effects of Ocimum sanctum extract and antibiotics on methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) isolated from clinical specimens., Journal of recent advances in applied sciences (JRAAS), 27, 99-107.