Lead induced changes in protein contents of kidney, liver, muscles and ovary of tilapia, Oreochromis mossambicus (Peters)
- 1Department of Zoology, Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur-440033, India
- 2Department of Zoology, Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur-440033, India
- 3Department of Zoology, Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur-440033, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 8, Issue (5), Pages 17-20, May,10 (2019)
The present study aims to investigate toxicological effects of heavy metal, lead on protein contents of some tissues such as kidney, liver, muscles and ovary of a freshwater teleost, Oreochromis mossambicus. After LC50 determination, fish was exposed to one-third of LC50 as sublethal concentration for 10 days, it showed remarkable changes in protein profiles of all these tissues. Diminution of total proteins in kidney, liver, muscles and ovary was significantly observed (p<0.05). Compared to those in controlled fish, depletion of total proteins was found to be 6.85 % in kidney, 27.40% in liver, 45.23% in muscles and 6.60% in the ovary of experimental fish. Results showed that toxicity of lead to fish tissues was in the order muscles>liver>kidney>ovary. These alterations can be related to toxicological stress caused by heavy metal, lead.
- Conacher H.B., Page B.D. and Ryan J.J. (1993)., Industrial chemical contamination of foods [Review]., Food Addit.Contam., 10(1), 129-143.
- Velez D. and Montoro R. (1998)., Arsenic speciation in manufactured seafood products: a review., J. Food Prot., 61(9), 1240-1245.
- Sobha K., Poornima A., Harini P. and Veeraiah K. (2007)., A Study on Biochemical Changes in the Fresh Water Fish, Catlacatla (Hamilton) Exposed to the Heavy Metal Toxicant Cadmium Chloride., Kathmandu Univ. J. Sci. Eng. Technol., 3(2), 1-11.
- Scott G.R. and Sloman K.A. (2004)., The effects of environmental pollutants on complex fish behaviour: integrative behavioural and physiological indicators of toxicity., Aquat. Toxicol., 68(4), 369-392.
- Mohanambal R. and Puvaneswari S. (2013)., A study on the acute toxicity of lead nitrate ( pb ( no 3 ) 2 ) on the freshwater fish Catlacatla (Hamilton, 1822)., Int. J. Curr. Res., 5(8), 2151-2155.
- Ogamba E., Izah S. and Isimayemiema F. (2016)., Bioaccumulation of Heavy Metals in the Gill and Liver of a Common Niger Delta Wetland Fish., Clariasgarepinus. Br. J. Appl. Res., 1(1), 17-20.
- Vutukuru S.S., Iiimabindu J.V. and Anjaneyulu Y. (2009)., Physiological stress responses as biomarkers of sensitivity in Esomusdanricus exposed to copper., Asian J. Microbiol. Biotech. Env. Sci., 11, 969-975.
- Vutukuru S.S. and Basani K. (2013)., Acute effects of mercuric chloride on glycogen and protein content of Zebra fish., Daniorerio. J. Environ. Biol., 34, 277-281.
- Dhanalakshmi B. (2013)., Acute and chronic toxicity of chromium on biochemical composition of the fresh water major carp Cirrhinusmrigala (Hamilton)., Asian J. Sci. Technol., 4(12), 21-26.
- Madhavan P. and Elumalai K. (2016)., Effects of chromium ( VI ) on the lipid peroxidation and antioxidant parameters in the gill and kidney tissues of catfish. Clariasbatrachus ( Linnaeus , 1758 ) ( Actinopterygii : Siluriformes)., Int. J. Adv. Res. Biol. Sci., 3(4), 249-255.
- Schmitt C.J., Whyte J.J., Brumbaugh W.G. and Tillitt D.E. (2005)., Biochemical effects of Lead, Zinc, and Cadmium from mining on fish in the tri-states district of Northeastern Oklahoma, USA., Environ. Toxicol. Chem., 24(6), 1483-1495.
- Abedi Z., Hasantabar F., Khalesi M.K. and Babaei S. (2013)., Effect of Sublethal Concentrations of Cadmium , Lead and Chromium on Some Enzymatic Activities of Common Carp ; Cyprinus carpio., World. J. Zool., 8(1), 98-105. https://dx.doi.org/10.5829/idosi.wjz.2013.8.1.7197.
- Naz S. and Javed M. (2013)., Studies on the toxic effects of lead and nickel mixture on two freshwater fishes. Ctenopharyngodon idella and Hypophthalmichthys molitrix., J. Anim. Plant Sci., 23(3), 798-804.
- Singh K.N., Ojha G.S. and Singh S.N. (2006)., Lead : A toxic substance, its effect and removal., Curr. World Environ., 1(2), 209-212.
- APHA. (2012)., Standard Methods for Examination of Water and Wastewater, 22nd edn., American Public Health Association, Washington DC.
- Finney D. (1971)., Probit Analysis 3rd ed., Cambridge University Press.
- Lowry O.H., Rosebrough N.J., Farr A.L. and Randall R.J. (1951)., Protein Measurement With the Folin Phenol Reagent., J. Biol. Chem., 193(1), 265-275. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0304-3894(92) 87011-4.
- Tambe R.S. (2014)., Total protein Alteration in Different Tissues of Fresh Water Bivalve, Parreysia cylindrica After Dichlorovos Exposure., Indian J. Appl. Res., 4(10), 595-597.
- Bais U.E. and Lokhande M.V. (2012)., Effect of Cadium Chloride on the Biochemical content in different Tissues of the Freshwater Fish Ophicephalus striatus., Int. Res. J. Biol. Sci., 1(7), 55-57.
- Sudarshan S. and Kulkarni R.S. (2014)., Effect of some hormones on the muscle tissue biochemical contents of the fresh water fish Notopterusnotopterus., Int. J. Res. Biosci., 3(1), 7-12.
- Borah S. and Yadav R.N.S. (1996)., Biochemical and haematological responses to starvation in an air breathing fresh water teleost Heteropneustes fossilis (Bloch)., Indian J. Fish., 43(3), 307-311.
- David M., Mushigeri S.B., Shivakumar R. and Philip G. (2004)., Responses of Cyprinuscarpio (Linn.) to sub-lethal concentration of Cypermethrin: Alterations in protein metabolism profile., Chemosphere, 56(4), 347-352.
- Sakar A. and Al lail J. (2005)., Fenvalerate induced histopathological and histo-chemical changes in the liver of the cat fish Clariasgariepinus., J. Appl. Sci. Res., 1(3), 263-267.
- George K.R., Malini N.A. and Rani G.S. (2012)., Biochemical changes in liver and muscle of the cichlid, Oreochromis mossambicus (Peters, 1852) exposed to sub-lethal concentration of mercuric chloride., Indian Journal of Fisheries, 59(2), 147-152.
- Nanda P. and Behera M.K. (1996)., Nickel induced changes in some hemato- biochemical parameters of a catfish. Heteropneustus fossilis (Bloch)., Eviron. Ecol., 14, 82-85.
- Snehalata D., Patro S.K. and Sahu B.K. (2001)., Biochemical changes induced by mercury in the liver of penaeid prawns Penaeus indicus and P.monodon from Rushikulya estuary, east coast of India., Indian J. Mar. Sci., 30, 246-252.
- Vutukuru S.S. (2003)., Chromium induced alterations in some biochemical profiles of the freshwater teleost fish, Labeorohita (Hamilton)., Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 70, 118-123.
- Martin P.D.P. and Arivoli S. (2008)., Biochemical study of freshwater fish Catlacatla with reference to mercuric chloride., J. Environ. Heal. Sci. Eng., 5, 109-116.
- Atli G. and Canli M. (2011)., Alterations in ion levels of freshwater fish Oreochromisniloticus following acute and chronic exposures to five heavy metals., Turkish J. Zool., 35(5), 725-736. https://dx.doi.org/10.3906/zoo-1001-31.