MITE species composition from grain stores: a report from Kashmir, India
- 1Department of Zoology and Environmental Science, Punjabi University, Patiala-147002, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 8, Issue (5), Pages 8-16, May,10 (2019)
In storage facilities, mites can be found either in stored food or food residues. In the present investigation, a total of 120 samples were collected and examined for exploring the mite fauna and sampling surveys lasted from March 2017 to February 2018. The samples were collected from the 10 Grain stores, one sample per month from each Grain store. The samples constituted the various materials like organic dust, debris and residues. Out of the 120 samples collected from the 10 Grain stores (12 samples from each Grain Store), 59 (49.17%) samples were infested with mites and 17 mite species were reported. The number of mite-infested samples and the mite populations they contained differed from one Grain store to another Grain store as well as varied dramatically between the hotter and cooler months. The most predominant species reported in terms of the number of samples found infested with and the number of specimens obtained was Acarus siro followed by Tyrophagus putrescentiae.
- Solomon M.E. (1946)., Tyroglyphid mites in stored products. Ecological studies., Ann. of App. Biol., 33(1), 82-97.
- Arlian L.G. (1991)., House-dust-mite allergens: A review., Exp. Appl. Acarol., 10(3-4), 167-186.
- Arlian L.G., Rapp C.M. and Fernandez-Caldas E. (1993)., Allergenicity of Euroglyphus maynei and its cross-reactivity with Dermatophagoides species., J. Allergy Clin. Immunol., 91(5), 1051-1058.
- Hughes A.M. (1976)., The Mites of stored Food and Houses., HMSO, London.
- Fain A., Guerin B. and Hart B.J. (1990)., Mites and Allergic Disease., Allerbio., 89(4), 190.
- Hallas T.E. (1981)., Mites of stored hay in Iceland., J. Agr. Res. Icel., 13, 61-67.
- Hallas T.E. and Gudmundsson B. (1985)., Mites of stored hay in Iceland, related to quality of hay and the storage duration., J. Agr. Res. Icel., 17, 31-37.
- Hallas T.E. and Iversen M. (1996)., Sources of exposure to storage mites in the farming environment., Ann. Agic. Environ.Med., 3, 9-12.
- Gill N.K., Paray M.Y. and Dehar P.S. (2018)., Occurrence and abundance of populations of three Astigmatid mite species in stored products infested with Fusarium species., Int. J. of interdis. Res. and Innovat., 6(2), 404-411.
- Gill N.K. and Paray M.Y. (2018)., A study on the occurrence and abundance of mite Acarus siro L. (Acari: Acaridae) reported from the samples of some stored foods in Kashmir (India)., Int. J. of interdis. Res. and Innovat., 6(4), 512-519.
- Gill N.K. and Dehar P.S. (2018)., A preliminary report of some stored food products mites of district Sangrur (Punjab) India., Int. Res. J. Biol Sci., 7(9), 1-6.
- Solomon M.E. (1945)., Tyroglyphid mites in stored products Methods for the study of population density., Ann. of App. Biol., 32(1), 71-75.