Effect of fertilizer application on growth performance of Mansonia altissima (A. Chev.) seedlings
- 1Department of Forestry and Wood Technology, Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo State, Nigeria
- 2Department of Forestry and Wood Technology, Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo State, Nigeria
- 3Department of Forestry and Wood Technology, Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo State, Nigeria
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 8, Issue (12), Pages 1-7, December,10 (2019)
The experiment comprised of two different factors such as three fertilizer media: Poultry droplet, Cow dung and NPK 15.15.15 and six fertilizer concentration levels with 2kg of top soil each. The experiment was set up in Two-factor factorial experiment in Completely Randomized Design (CRD) with five replications.Two weeks after fertilizer treatment (WAP), data were collected fortnightly. Data collected were subjected to analysis of variance and treatment means found to differ significantly were separated using Duncan Multiple Range Test (DMRT) at p = 0.05. Results indicate significant differences in seedlings heights, collar diameter and in leaves count. All results obtained show that poultry droplet medium performed better. Since the use of cow dung improved the seedlings growth significantly, it is therefore recommended that it should be used to raise M. altissima seedlings in nurseries.
- FAO (2014)., Enhancing the Socioeconomic benefits from forest. State of the world′s forest., Food and Agriculture Organisation, Rome, Italy, 133.
- Hartmann H.T., Kester D.E. Davies F.T. and Genve R.I. (2007)., Plant propagation, principles and practices., Seventh edition. Prentice Hall of India Private limited, 880.
- Baiyeri K.P. and Mbah B.N. (2006)., Effects of soilless and soil based nursery media on seedling emergence, growth and response to water stress of African breadfruit (Treculia Africana Decne)., African Journal of Biotechnology, 5, 1405-1410.
- Baiyeri K.P. (2005)., The effects of genotype, initiation and weaning media on sucker growth and quality in the nursery., African Journal of Biotechnology, 4(3), 229-234.
- Pinkard E.A., Ballie C., Patel V. and Mohammed C.L. (2007)., Effects of fertilizing with Nitrogen and Phosphorus on growth and crown condition of Eucalyptus globules Labill. experiencing insect defoliation., Forest Ecol. Manage., 231, 131-137.
- Hoque A.T., Hossian M.K., Mohiuddin M. and Hoque M.M. (2004)., Effect of inorganic fertilizers on initial growth performance of Micheliachampaca Linn. Seedling in Nursery., J. Biol. Sci., 4, 489-497.
- Silva J.A. and Uchida R. (2000)., Inorganic Fertilizer Materials., College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, University of Hawaii, Manoa., 117.
- Onyekwelu J.C. (2001)., Growth Characteristics and Management Scenarios for plantation-grown Gmelinaarborea and Naucleadiderrichii in south-westernNigeria., Published Ph.D. Thesis, Institute of Silviculture and Forest Management, Technical University of Technology, Munich, Germany. Hieronymus Publishers, Munich Germany; ISBN 3-89791-235-X, 201pp.
- Oni P.I., Jimoh S.O. and Adebisi L.A. (2014)., Management of indigenous medicinal plants in Nigeria using phenological information., J Med Plants Res, 8(16), 619-631.
- Hector R.G. (2000)., Regeneration patterns of Cedrelalilloi(Meliaceae) in north western Argentina Subtropical Montane Forest., Journal of Tropical Ecology, 16, 227-242.
- Ichie T., Ninomiya I. and Ogino K. (2001)., Utilization of seed reserves during germination and early seedling growth by Dryobalanopslanceolata (Dipterocarpaceae)., Journal of Tropical Ecology, 17, 371-378.
- Mohammad R.H. and Solaiman A.H. (2012)., Efficacy of organic and organic fertilizer on the growth of Brassica oleracea L. (Cabbage)., International Journal of Agriculture and Crop Sciences, 4(3), 128-138.
- Aluko A.P. (1983)., Growths in Terminalia ivorensisseedling as affected by increasing levels of various nitrogen fertilizer., In: Okojie, J. A. and P. C.Obiaga (Eds.). Forest Resources Development and the sourcing of local raw material in Nigeria: Proceeding of the 19th Annual Conference of the Forestry Association of Nigeria.
- Gbadamosi A.E. (2006)., Fertilizer response in seedlings of medicinal Enantiachlorantha Oliv., Journal of Tropical and Subtropical Ecosystem, 6(2), 111-115.