Isolation and characterization of cellulose-degrading actinomycetes isolates
- 1Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Biotechnology Research Department, Kyaukse, Myanmar
- 2Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Biotechnology Research Department, Kyaukse, Myanmar
- 3Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Biotechnology Research Department, Kyaukse, Myanmar and Microbiology Laboratory, Biotechnology Research Department, Kyaukse, Myanmar
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 7, Issue (9), Pages 12-17, September,10 (2018)
A total of twenty-one strains were isolated from various soil sources under wood decaying matter, manure and vegetative fields in the campus of Mandalay Technological University, Mandalay, Myanmar. Among them, eight strains were confirmed as Actinomycetes according to the biochemical examinations, cultural morphology, microscopic morphology and colonial morphology. Their cellulolytic activity was screened by using different types of cellulose substrates such as cellulose powder, CMC powder, acid treated rice straw and base treated rice straw. Quantitative determination was done by DNS reducing sugar analysis method and strains M2, V2 and W1 showed best results in reducing sugar productivity of 0.0504mg/ml using 1% CMC, 0.2100mg/ml using 0.5% cellulose and 0.1596mg/ml using 2% rice straw treated with 2M NaOH respectively.
- Whitaker J.R. (1990)., New and future uses of enzymes in food processing., Food biotechnology, 4(2), 669-697. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08905439009549782.LR, Wyman CE, Gerngross TU. (1999) “Biocommodity engineering. Biotechnol Progress” 15, 777-793. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/bp990109e.
- Béguin P. and Aubert J.P. (1994)., The biological degradation of cellulose., FEMS microbiology reviews, 13(1), 25-58. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0168-6445(94)90099-X.
- Wood P.J., Erfle J.D. and Teather R.M. (1988)., Use of complex formation between Congo red and polysaccharides in detection and assay of polysaccharide hydrolases., Methods Enzymol, 160, 59-74. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0076-6879(88)60107-8.
- Soares F.L., Melo I.S., Dias A.C.F. and Andreote F.D. (2012)., Cellulolytic bacteria from soils in harsh environments., World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 28(5), 2195-2203. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11274-012-1025-2.
- Maki M., Leung K.T. and Qin W. (2009)., The prospects of cellulase-producing bacteria for the bioconversion of lignocellulosic biomass., International journal of biological sciences, 5(5), 500-516. http://dx.doi.org/10.7150/ijbs.5.500.
- Singh S., Moholkar V.S. and Goyal A. (2013)., Isolation, identification, and characterization of a cellulolytic Bacillus amyloliquefaciens strain SS35 from rhinoceros dung., ISRN Microbiol, 7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/728134.
- Vinogradova S.P. and Kushnir S.N. (2003)., Biosynthesis of hydrolytic enzymes during cocultivation of macro-and micromycetes., Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology, 39(6), 573-575.
- Hussien T., Serour F. and Aboul-Enein (2010)., Purification and Characterization of a Novel Thermoactive Cellulase From Thermophilic Actinomycetes Isolation From Soil Sample Egypt., International Journal of Academic Research, 2(1).
- Ball A.S. and McCarthy A.J. (1988)., Sacchariiication of straw by actinomycete enzymes., Microbiology, 134(8), 2139-2147.
- Roberto I.C., Mussatto S.I. and Rodrigues R.C. (2003)., Dilute-acid hydrolysis for optimization of xylose recovery from rice straw in a semi-pilot reactor., Industrial Crops and Products, 17(3), 171-176. DOI: 10.1016/S0926-6690(02)00095-X.
- Himmel M.E., Baker J.O. and Overend R.P. (1994)., Enzymatic conversion of biomass for fuels production., Washington, DC: American Chemical Society, 292-324.
- Mosier N., Wyman C., Dale B., Elander R., Lee Y.Y., Holtzapple M. and Ladisch M. (2005)., Features of promising technologies for pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass., Bioresource technology, 96(6), 673-686.
- Shirling E.B. and Gottlieb D. (1966)., Methods for characterization of Streptomyces species., Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol., 16(3), 313-340.
- Locci R. (1989)., Streptomyces and related genera., Bergey
- Hankin L. and Anagnostakis S.L. (1977)., Solid media containing carboxymethylcellulose to detect Cx cellulase activity of micro-organisms., Microbiology, 98(1), 109-115.
- Miller G.L. (1959)., Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar., Analytical chemistry, 31(3), 426-428.
- Lee Y.J., Kim B.K., Lee B.H., Jo K.I., Lee N.K., Chung C. H. and Lee J.W. (2008)., Purification and characterization of cellulase produced by Bacillus amyoliquefaciens DL-3 utilizing rice hull., Bioresource technology, 99(2), 378-386. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.12.013.
- Gupta P., Samant K. and Sahu A. (2012)., Isolation of cellulose-degrading bacteria and determination of their cellulolytic potential., International Journal of Microbiology. http:// dx.doi.org/10.1155/2012/578925.
- Ferbiyanto A., Rusmana I. and Raffiudin R. (2015)., Characterization and identification of cellulolytic bacteria from gut of worker Macrotermes gilvus., HAYATI Journal of Biosciences, 22(4), 197-200.
- Soni R., Nazir A. and Chadha B.S. (2010)., Optimization of cellulase production by a versatile Aspergillus fumigatus Fresenius strain (AMA) capable of efficient deinking and enzymatic hydrolysis of Solkafloc and bagasse., Ind Crop Prod., 31(2), 277-283.