Fish diversity of a small hill stream Dhundeshwer Gad of Uttarakhand (India) and need of its conservation
- 1SSRSR G.I. College, Manjakot (Chauras), Tehri Garhwal-249161, Uttarakhand, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 7, Issue (8), Pages 16-19, August,10 (2018)
The present study deals with ichthyofaunal diversity in small hill stream Dhundeshwar Gad of Garhwal Himalaya. Different species of fishes have been recorded during the investigation. Total 19 fish species recorded during study from different sampling stations of the tributary. Stream shape, stream order, length of stream, and average gradient of stream also studied. Various factors responsible for depletion of fish fauna were also observed during investigation.
- Joshi B.D. (2005)., On the eco-biology and contribution of smaller mountain tributaries to the production of the major river Bhagirathi-Ganga in Himalayan region., M.S. Johal (ed.). Proceedings of the National seminar, 'New trends in fishery development in India' Punjab University Chandigarh. Feb. 16-18.2005, 241-251.
- Badola S.P. and Singh H.R. (1980)., Food and feeding habits of the Genera Tor, Puntius and Barilius., Proc. Indian Nat. Sci. Acad., B46, 58-62.
- Bahuguna S.N. and Singh H.R. (1981)., Food and feeding habit of hill streams fish Glyptothorax pectinopterus (Mc. Cl.)., Indian Journal of Animal Sciences, 51, 964-967.
- Tilak R. and Baloni S.P. (1984)., On the fish fauna of Tehri Garhwal, Uttar Pradesh., Rec. Zoo. Sur. India, 81(3-4), 255-271.
- Nautiyal P. and Lal M.S. (1994)., Fishing technique and the status of Himalayan Mahseer in the Nayar (Garhwal). Mahseer the game fish: Natural history, status and conservation practices in India and Nepal., edited by P Nautiyal (Jagdamba Prakashan, Dehradun), 545-564.
- Bisht B., Badoni A.K. and Bahuguna S.N. (2009)., Seasonal Distribution and Relative Abundance of Fish Fauna of a Small Hill Stream Dangchaura (Takoli) Gad, along with River Alaknanda., Our Nature, 7, 182-186.
- Day F. (1878)., The Fishes of India being a natural history of the fishes known to inhabit the seas and freshwater of India., Burma and Ceylon, I(II), XX+778 Pls.cxiv.
- Srivastava G.J. (1968)., Fishes of U.P. and Bihar., Vishwa Vidyalaya Prakashan, Varanasi. 1968: xx+207: 113.
- Badola S.P. (1979)., Ecological Studies on the Icthyofauna of freshwater resourses of Garheal region., D.Phil. Thesis submitted to H.N.B. Garhwal University, Srinagar Garhwal.
- Husain A. (1987)., Studies on the fish fauna of some streams of Dehradun with notes on systematic, ecology and zoogeography., I(II):1212+76PLS. D.Phil. Thesis submitted to H.N.B. Garhwal University, Srinagar Garhwal (Unpublished).
- Talwar P.K. and Jhingran A.G. (1991)., Inland fishes of India and adjacent countries., Oxford & IBH Publication, New Delhi, I(II), 1-1158.
- Badoni A.K. (2003)., Taxonomical Studies of fish fauna in relation to physic-chemical nature of three important Alaknanda tributaries of district Tehri Garhwal., D.Phil. Thesis submitted to H.N.B. Garhwal University, Srinagar Garhwal. (Unpublished).
- Bahuguna S.N. and Badoni A.K. (2002)., Qualitative and quantitative productivity of fish food from three important tributaries of river Alaknanda., Him, J. Env. Zool., 16(2), 215-222.
- Welcomme R.L. (1985)., River fisheries [Pesca fluvial]., FAO fisheries technical paper, 262, 330.
- Khanduri B.M. (1994)., The Archeology of Alaknanda valley (Central Himalaya)., Book India Pub. Co, 236.
- Badoni A.K. (2017)., Study of seasonal distribution and relative abundance of fish fauna of a small Himalayan hill stream Dhundeshwer gad along with river Alaknanda., International Journal of Fauna and Biological studies, 4(2), 23-26.
- Badoni A.K, Bisht Bhawana and Bahuguna S.N. (2005)., Conservation and management of fish fauna of three important Alaknanda tributarirs of Tehri Garhwal., Flora and Fauna, 11(1), 14.
- Negi K.S. and Kanwal K.S. (2009)., Plants used as fish toxins in Garhwal region of Uttarakhand Himalaya., Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge, 8(4), 535-538.
- Acharjee M.L. and Barat S. (2010)., Impact of fishing methods on conservation of ichthyofauna of river Relli in Darjeeling Himalaya of West Bengal., Journal of environmental biology, 31(4), 431-434.
- Johal M.S., Tyor Anil K. and Rawal Yogesh K. (2005)., Role of human being vis-à-vis stream morphology and water quality of the western Himalayan streams., In: M.S.Johal (ed.). Proceedings of the National Seminar. New trends in fishery development in India. Punjab University Chandigarh. 141-146.
- Hynes H.B.N. (1970)., The ecology of running waters., Liverpool University Press, Liverpool.