Analysis of Lindane and Dieldrin in food samples collected from a market in Shillong city, India, by gas chromatography-Mass spectrometry
- 1Department of Environmental Studies, North Eastern Hill University, Shillong-793022, Meghalaya, India
- 2Department of Environmental Studies, North Eastern Hill University, Shillong-793022, Meghalaya, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 7, Issue (8), Pages 7-11, August,10 (2018)
Lindane and Dieldrin are organochlorine pesticides which have been used in the agricultural and health sector to control the population of pest as well as disease carrying vectors. Both these pesticides have several health impacts which include Lindane being classed as a human carcinogen and Dieldrin as a probable human carcinogen. They have also been banned in numerous countries including India due to their negative effects. Therefore, these two organochlorine compounds pose a serious threat to the well being of those who are exposed to them. One of the possible routes of exposure to these pesticides is by ingesting food products which are contaminated by them. In order to ensure that food consumed is free from any harmful contamination levels regular testing for pesticide residues is essential. In this study, samples of nine food products were collected from Iewduh Market in Shillong City, India, and were analysed for any possible contamination by Lindane and Dieldrin using Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS) following standard operating procedures. From the study performed it was observed that pesticide residue levels of both Lindane and Dieldrin were Below Detectable Limit (> 0.1mg/kg) in all food samples.
- Singh Z., Kaur J., Kaur R. and Hundal S.S. (2016)., Toxic Effects of Organochlorine Pesticides: A Review., American Journal of Bio Science, 4(3-1), 11-18.
- Jayaraj R., Megha P. and Sreedev P. (2016)., Organochlorine pesticides, their toxic effects on living organisms and their fate in the environment., Interdisciplinary toxicology, 9(3-4), 90-100.
- Dent D. (1991)., Insect Pest Management: Insecticides., C.A.B International, 146-147. ISBN: 0-85198-667-6 pbk.
- Goel A. and Aggarwal P. (2007)., Pesticide Poisoning., The National Medical Journal of India, 20(4), 182-191.
- Sandu A.M. and Virsta A. (2015)., Environmental Toxicity of Lindane and Health Effect., Journal of Environmental Protection and Ecology, 16(3), 933-944.
- World Health Organization (1991)., Lindane (Gamma- HCH) Health and Safety Guide., International Programme on Chemical Safety: Health and Safety Guide No., 54, 9.
- Sang S., Petrovic S. and Cuddeford V. (1999)., Lindane A Review of Toxicity and Environmental Fate., WWFs Wildlife Toxicology Program. World Wildlife Fund Canada, 5.
- Blair A., Cantor P.K. and Zahm H.S. (1998)., Non- Hodgkin's Lymphoma and Agricultural Use of the Insecticide Lindane., American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 33, 82-87.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (2002)., Toxicological Profile for Alpha-, Beta-, Gamma- and Delta- Hexachlorocyclohexane., U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1-4.
- International Agency for research on Cancer (2018)., IARC Monographs Evaluate DDT, Lindane and 2,4-D., World Health Organisation, 1-2.
- Report (2018)., National Center for Biotechnology Information., Pub Chem Compound Database; CID=969491, https://pubchem.ncbi. nlm.gov/compound/969491 (Retrieved on 21/4/2018).
- WHO (2003)., Aldrin and Dieldrin in drinking-water., Background document for preparation of WHO Guidelines for drinking-water quality. Geneva, World Health Organization (WHO/SDE/WSH/03.04/73).
- Jong de G., Swaen H.M.G. and Slangen M.J.J. (1997)., Mortality of workers exposed to dieldrin and aldrin: a retrospective cohort study., Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 54(10), 702-707.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (2002)., Toxicological Profile for Aldrin and Dieldrin., U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1-4.
- Briz V., Molina-Molina J.M., Sánchez-Redondo S., Fernández M.F., Grimalt J.O., Olea N. and Suñol C. (2011)., Differential estrogenic effects of the persistent organochlorine pesticides dieldrin, endosulfan, and lindane in primary neuronal cultures., Toxicological Sciences, 120(2), 413-427.
- Cavender F.L., Cook B.T., Page N.P., Cogliano V. and Hajjar N. (1988)., Carcinogenicity Assessment of Aldrin and Dieldrin., US Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Health and Environmental Assessment.
- Pesticide Action Network UK (2005)., A Catalogue of Lists of Pesticides Identifying Those Associated with Particularly Harmful or Environmental Impacts., The List of Lists 3rd Edition 3.
- Central Insecticide Board & Registration Committee. (2009)., Major uses of pesticides registered under the Insecticides Act, 1968., http://www.cibrc.nic.in/mupi.pdf (Retrieved on 25/4/2018).
- Census (2011)., Shillong City Census 2011 data., http://www.census2011.co.in/census/city/187-shillong.html (Retrieved on 25/4/2018).
- Baldock F.C., Lyndal‐Murphy M. and Pearse B. (1990)., An assessment of a composite sampling method for counting strongyle eggs in sheep faeces., Australian veterinary journal, 67(5), 165-167.
- Lehotay J.S. (2006)., Quick, Easy, Cheap, Effective, Rugged, and Safe Approach for Determining Pesticide Residues., Methods in Biotechnology, Pesticide Protocols, Humana Press Inc., USA, 239-261. eISBN 1-59259-929-X.
- Cieślik E., Sadowska-Rociek A., Ruiz J.M.M. and Surma-Zadora M. (2011)., Evaluation of QuEChERS method for the determination of organochlorine pesticide residues in selected groups of fruits., Food Chemistry, 125(2), 773-778.
- Wilkowska A. and Biziuk M. (2011)., Determination of pesticide residues in food matrices using the QuEChERS methodology., Food Chemistry, 125(3), 803-812.
- Barriada-Pereira M., Concha-Grana E., Gonzalez-Castro M.J., Muniategui-Lorenzo S., Lopez-Mahia P., Prada- Rodriguez D. and Fernandez-Fernandez E. (2003)., Microwave-assisted extraction versus Soxhlet extraction in the analysis of 21 organochlorine pesticides in plants., Journal of Chromatography A, 1008, 115-122.
- Ahmed E.F. (2001)., Analyses of pesticides and their metabolites in food and drinks., Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 20(11), 649-661.
- Kannan K., Tanabe S., Ramesh A., Subramanian A. and Tatsukawa R. (1992)., Persistent Organochlorine Residues in Foodstuffs from India and Their Implications on Human Dietary Exposure., J. Agric. Food Chem., 40, 518-524.
- Hu R., Hennion B., Urruty L. and Montury M. (1999)., Solid phase microextraction of pesticide residues from strawberries., Food Additives and Contaminants, 16(3), 111-117.
- Hernandez F., Beltran J., Lopez F.J. and Gaspar J.V. (2000)., Use of solid-phase microextraction for the quantitative determination of herbicides in soil and water samples., Analytical Chemistry, 72(10), 2313-2322.
- Buldini P.L., Ricci L. and Sharma J.L. (2002)., Recent applications of sample preparation techniques in food analysis., Journal of Chromatography A, 975(1), 47-70.
- Basheer C., Lee H.K. and Obbard J.P. (2002)., Determination of organochlorine pesticides in seawater using liquid-phase hollow fibre membrane microextraction and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry., Journal of Chromatography A, 968(1-2), 191-199.
- Nguyen T.D., Yu J.E., Lee D.M. and Lee G.H. (2008)., A multiresidue method for the determination of 107 pesticides in cabbage and radish using QuEChERS sample preparation method and gas chromatography mass spectrometry., Food chemistry, 110(1), 207-213.
- Ozcan C. (2016)., Determination of Organochlorine Pesticides in Some Vegetable Samples Using GC-MS., Pol. J. Environ. Stud., 25(3), 1141-1147.
- Frias M.N., Frenich G.A., Vidal M.J.L., Sanchez M.M., Olea F. and Olea N. (2001)., Analyses of lindane, vinclozolin, aldrin, p, p9-DDE, o, p9-DDT and p, p9-DDT in human serum using gas chromatography with electron capture detection and tandem mass spectrometry., Journal of Chromatography B, 760, 1-15.
- Kolberg I.D., Prestes D.O., Adaime B.M. and Zanella R. (2011)., Development of fast multiresidue method for the determination of pesticides in dry sample (wheat grains, flour, bran) using QuEChERS based method and GC-MS., Food Chemistry, 125(4), 1436-1442.