Testing of genotoxic potential of amikacin sulphate through micronucleus test in a fish in vivo system
- 1Department of Zoology, B.B. Mahavidyalaya, Harichandanpur, Keonjhar-758028,Keonjhar Dist., Odisha, India
- 2Department of Zoology, Ravenshaw University, Cuttack-753003, Cuttack Dist., Odisha, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 7, Issue (3), Pages 36-40, March,10 (2018)
In the present study, the injectable form of Amikacin (Amikacin sulphate) a therapeutically popular broad spectrum antibiotic, is assessed for its genotoxic potential using MNT in a fish, Oreochromis mossambicus. Amikacin sulphate is already reported to be potentially nephrotoxic, ototoxic and neurotoxic. In the present investigation, Amikacin sulphate failed to induce MN in lower doses but it did so in higher doses, though not significantly. Again, the frequencies of MN and nuclear abnormalities (NA) were found to be comparatively higher in fishes exposed to the antibiotic for longer period irrespective of strength of the treatment dose. In comparison to MN frequencies, the frequencies of nuclear abnormalities (NA) were observed to be higher in fishes of all treated groups and their incidences were dose and exposure dependent. The frequencies of both MN and nuclear abnormalities showed an increasing trend with the increase of dose strength and exposure time. The MN and NA data of this study indicated that Amikacin sulphate has the potentiality to cause damage or instability to the genome of an organism in higher doses and longer exposures. However, long term studies in animals employing different assay systems are required to assess its carcinogenic and genotoxic potential thoroughly.
- Mačor M. and Ebringer L. (1988)., Effect of elevated temperature on genotoxicity of chemotherapeuticals towardEuglena gracilis., Folia microbiologica, 33(4), 314.
- McQueen C.A., Way B.M., Queener S.M., Schlüter G. and Williams G.M. (1991)., Study of potential in vitro and in vivo genotoxicity in hepatocytes of quinolone antibiotics., Toxicology and applied pharmacology, 111(2), 255-262.
- Gibson D.P., Ma X., Switzer A.G., Murphy V.A. and Aardema M.J. (1998)., Comparative genotoxicity of quinolone and quinolonyl‐lactam antibacterials in the in vitro micronucleus assay in Chinese hamster ovary cells., Environmental and molecular mutagenesis, 31(4), 345-351.
- Ila H.B. and Topaktas M. (1999)., In vivo genotoxic effects of spiramycin in rat bone marrow cells., Cytologia, 64(3), 277-283.
- Sontakke Y.A. and Fulzele R.R. (2009)., Cytogenetic study on genotoxicity of antitumor-antibiotic Mitomycin C., Biomedical Research, 20(1), 40-44.
- çelik A. and Eke D. (2011)., The assessment of cytotoxicity and genotoxicity of tetracycline antibiotic in human blood lymphocytes using CBMN and SCE analysis, in vitro., International Journal of Human Genetics, 11(1), 23-29.
- Metovic A., Mackic-Djurovic M. and Ibrulj S. (2013)., Analysis of chromosome aberrations contained in vitro human peripheral blood lymphocytes after treatment with ceftriaxone., Medical Archives, 67(4), 228.
- Koşar P.A., Aşcı H., Ciğerci I.H., Saygın M., Calapoğlu M., Yüksek Ş. and Cankara F.N. (2017)., The Effect of Alpha-Lipoic Acid on Preventing Amikacin-Induced DNA Damage in Rats., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, India Section B: Biological Sciences, 87(4), 1489-1495.
- Hooftman R.N. and De Raat W.K. (1982)., Induction of nuclear anomalies (micronuclei) in the peripheral blood erythrocytes of the eastern mudminnow Umbra pygmaea by ethyl methanesulphonate., Mutation Research Letters, 104(1-3), 147-152.
- Belpaeme K., Delbeke K., Zhu L. and Kirsch-Volders M. (1996)., Cytogenetic studies of PCB77 on brown trout (Salmo trutta fario) using the micronucleus test and the alkaline comet assay., Mutagenesis, 11(5), 485-492.
- Hayashi M., Ueda T., Uyeno K., Wada K., Kinae N., Saotome K., Tanaka N., Takai A., Sasaki Y.F., Asano N., Sofuni T. and Ojima Y. (1998)., Development of genotoxicity assay systems that use aquatic organisms., Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis, 399(2), 125-133.
- Rodriguez-Cea A., Ayllon F. and Garcia-Vazquez E. (2003)., Micronucleus test in freshwater fish species: an evaluation of its sensitivity for application in field surveys., Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 56(3), 442-448.
- Ali F., El-Shehawi A.M. and Seehy M.A. (2008)., Micronucleus test in fish genome: a sensitive monitor for aquatic pollution., African journal of biotechnology, 7(5), 606-612.
- Bolognosi C. and Hayashi M. (2011)., Micronucleus assay in aquatic animals., Mutagenesis, 26(1), 205-213.
- Bucker A., Carvalho M., Conceição M. and Alves-Gomes J. (2012)., Micronucleus test and comet assay in erythrocytes of the Amazonian electric fish Apteronotus bonapartii exposed to benzene., Ecotoxicology and Environmental Contamination, 7(1), 65-73.
- Kadurugamuwa J.L., Clarke A.J. and Beveridge T.J. (1993)., Surface action of gentamicin on Pseudomonas aeruginosa., Journal of bacteriology, 175(18), 5798-5805.
- Begg E.J. and Barclay M.L. (1995)., Aminoglycosides - 50 years on., Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol., 39, 597-603.
- Poulikakos P. and Falagas M.E. (2013)., Aminoglycoside therapy in infectious diseases., Expert opinion on pharmacotherapy, 14(12), 1585-1597.
- Szczepanik W., Kaczmarek P. and Jeżowska-Bojczuk M. (2004)., Oxidative activity of copper (II) complexes with aminoglycoside antibiotics as implication to the toxicity of these drugs., Bioinorganic chemistry and applications, 2(1-2), 55-68.
- Ozer M.K., Asci H., Oncu M., Yesilot S., Savran M., Bayram D. and Cicek E. (2009)., Effects of pentoxifylline on amikacin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats., Renal failure, 31(2), 134-139.
- Aksoy F., Dogan R., Ozturan O., Eren S.B., Veyseller B., Pektas A. and Hüseyinbas ö. (2014)., Protective effect of trimetazidine on amikacin-induced ototoxicity in rats., International journal of pediatric otorhinolaryngology, 78(4), 663-669.
- Asci H., Saygin M., Cankara F.N., Bayram D., Yesilot S., Candan I.A. and Ilhan I. (2015)., The impact of alpha-lipoic acid on amikacin-induced nephrotoxicity., Renal failure, 37(1), 117-121.
- Jeżowska-Bojczuk M., Szczepanik W., Leśniak W., Ciesiołka J., Wrzesiński J. and Bal W. (2002)., DNA and RNA damage by Cu (II)-amikacin complex., The FEBS Journal, 269(22), 5547-5556.
- Drugs.Com (2017), Amikacin. https//www.drugs.com/pro/ amikacin.html. Acessed on Oct 13, 2017., undefined, undefined
- EMEA (2017)., The Europian Agency for Evaluation of Medicinal Products, Veterinary Medicines and Inspections, 2001., Committee for veterinary medicinal products, Gentamicin, Summary Report (3). Available at http://www.emea.eu.int., Accessed on Oct 13, 2017.
- International programme on chemical safety website (2017)., WHO food additives series 41 prepared by the 50th meeting of the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA)., Available at www.inchem.org/ documents/jecfa/jecmono/vo41je05.htm.Accessed on Oct 17, 2017.
- Woodward K.N. and Directorate V.M. (2017)., Antimicrobial Agents., Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, UK. Available at www.inchem.org / documents / jecfa/ jecmono/v38je04.htm.Accessed on Oct 13, 2017.