Bringing blue revolution to the desert
- 1Dept. of Zoology and Env.Sci. Lachoo Memorial College of Sci and Tech (Autonomous), Jodhpur (Rajasthan), India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 7, Issue (3), Pages 29-35, March,10 (2018)
One species of Indian major carps (Labeo rohita) and one species of exotic carp (Cyprinus carpio) were breed by induced breeding method between 19.3.1998 and 8.4.1999 using CIFE D-81 unit which has two type of setting - Indoor and Outdoor. The indoor setting has breeding and hatching unit, while outdoor setting has an underground, overhead tank and a filtration - sedimentation unit. Chlorine, sand and zooplankton free water was used for breeding exercise and natural condition was simulated (showering, water circulation) in the breeding tank after introduction of brooders using the synthetic hormone "OVAPRIM" @ of 0.5 ml/kg wt. The time of giving injection was varied in different exercises but the results were found to be the same. The eggs in case of Labeo rohita were collected in hapa and introduced in the egg containers (2 mm mesh size cotton netting) hanging in hatchery buckets. In case of C. carpio polythene strips having attached eggs were introduced in nursery tank. High dissolved oxygen in nursery tank and hatchery bucket was maintained. The oxygen content in nursery tank was further increased using multiple circular water jet provided at the top circumference of tank. Vertical air lift system in the tank was used for removing metabolites from time to time. The small quantity of water about 5000 to 6000 liters used in whole operation was passed through the filtration and sedimentation unit. The water quality improved considerably after passing through this unit as dissolved oxygen increased from 1.5 ml/l to 4.2 ml/l, free CO2 decreased from 9.0 ppm to Nil, bicarbonates decreased from 102.0 ppm to 96.0 ppm, nitrate reduced from 16.853 to 7.673 μg/l while phosphate decreased from 0.2567 μgmPO4-P/lt to 0.1244 μgmPO4-P/lt. This water was found to be suitable for breeding operation and was reused conserving this important commodity of desert.
- Alikunhi K.H. and Chaudhuri H. (1955)., Observation on the spawning in Indian carps by hormone injection., Curr. Sci, 26(12), 381-382.
- Nandeesha M.C., Rao K.G., Jayanna R., Parker N.C., Varghese T.J., Keshavanath P. and Shetty H.P. (1990)., Induced spawning of Indian major carps through single application of Ovaprim., In the second Asian fisheries forum, (Eds: R. Hirano and M. Hanyu). Asian Fisheries Society, Manila, Philippines, 581-585.
- Harker K. (1992)., Breeding carps with ovaprim in India., Infofish. - Int., 1, 36-39.
- Lakra W.S., Mishra A., Dayal R. and Pandey A.K. (1996)., Breeding of Indian major carps with the synthetic hormone drug ovaprim in Uttar Pradesh., J. Adv. Zool., 17(2), 105-109.
- Sherwood N., Eiden L., Brownstein M., Spiess J., Rivier J. and Vale W. (1983)., Characterization of a teleost gonadotropin-releasing hormone., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 80(9), 2794-2798.
- Peter R.E., Sokolowska R. and Nahorniak C.S. (1986)., Comparision of (D, Arg6, Trp7, Leu8, Pro9 Net) - Luteninzing harmone - releasing harmones (LHRH-A), in combination with pimozide, in stimulating gonadotropin release and ovulation in the gold fish., Carrassius auratus. Can. J. Zool., 65, 987-991.
- Habibi H.R., Marchant T.A., Nahorniak C.S., Van Der Loo H., Peter R.E., Rivier J.E. and Vale W.W. (1989)., Functional Relationship between Receptor Binding and Biological Activity for Analogs of Mammalian and Salmon Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormones In the Pituitary of Goldfish (Carasslus Auratus)., Biology of reproduction, 40(6), 1152-1161.
- Singh B.N., Das R.C. and Kanugo G. (1998). Proceedings of the National Workshop on Recent Advances in Harmonal Physiology of Fish and Shell Fish Reproduction. April 16 - 18. Central Institute of Fresh Water Aquaculture. Bhubaneswar., undefined, undefined
- Huet Marchel (1971)., Text Book of fish Culture - Breeding and Cultivation of Fish., Fishing New Books Ltd. Farnham, Surrey, England.
- Shrigur G.A. (1972)., Observations on efficiency of vertical flow jars (glass and transparent polythene) for hatching of major carp eggs., J. Inland. Fish. Asso., 2(1-2), 90-101.
- Bhowmick R.M. (1974). Summer Institute on Inland Aquaculture, CIFRI, Barrackpore., undefined, undefined
- Shirgur G.A. (1973)., Observations on efficiency of large capacity vertical flow bins for hatching major carp eggs., J Ind Fish Assoc, 3, 80-85.
- Diwedi S.N. (1976)., Indigenous vertical jar carp hatchery., J. Inland Fish. Asso., 6(1-2), 140.
- Mukerjee H.K. (1945)., Factors influencing the spawning of principal carps of India., Proc. Nat. Inst. Sci. India., 11(3), 312-315.
- Silver S.J., Warren C.E. and Doudoroff P. (1963)., Dissolved oxygen requirements of developing steelhead trout and chinook salmon embryos at different water velocities., Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 92(4), 327-343.
- Dwivedi S.N., Reddy A.K. and Tiwari V.K. (1988)., A carp hatchery for India with controlled environment., J. Inland. Fish. Soc. India, 20(1), 6-12.
- Nandeesha M.C., Das S.K., Nathaniel D.E. and Verghese T.J. (1990)., Project Report on breeding of carps with ovaprim in India., Special Publ. 4. Asian Fisheries Society Indian Branch, Manglore, Karnataka, 1-41.
- Francis T., Sukumaran N., Devaraj M. and Sundararaj V. (1991)., Induced breeding of major carps using Ovaprim., Fishing Chimes, 11(7), 25-27.
- Azad I.S. and Shimrary D.K. (1991)., First success in induced breeding of Indian and exotic carps in Manipur using ovaprim., Fish. Chimes, 11(7), 28-29.
- Pandey A.C. and Singh R.N. (1997)., Breeding of Catla catla (Bhakur), Labeo rohita (rohu) and Cirrhinus mrigala (Nain) by ovaprim injection for quality seed production., J. Adv. Zool., 18(1), 38-41.
- Nayak P.K., Mishra T.K., Singh B.N., Pandey A.K. and Das R.C. (1999)., Induced maturation and ovulation in Heteropneustes fossilis by using LHRHa, pimozide and ovaprim for production of quality eggs and larvae., Indian J. Fish, 48(3), 269-275.
- Singh B.N., Das R.C., Sarkar M., Kanungo G., Sahoo G.C. and Pandey A.K. (1999)., A balanced diet for rearing of singhi, Heteropneustes fossilis, broodfish and induced breeding using ovaprim., Indian J. Fish.
- Khan M.N., Janjua M.Y. and Naseem M. (1993)., Breeding of carps with ovaprim (LH-RH analogue) at hatchery in Islamabad., Proc. Pakistan Cong. Zool., 12, 545-552.
- Naik I.U. and Mirza Z.S. (1993)., Use of ovaprim-C in induced spawning of Indian major carps in Punjab, Pakistan., Proc. Pakistan Congr. Zool., 12, 411-416.
- Pandey A.C. and Singh R.N. (1997)., Breeding of Catla catla, Labeo rohita and Cirrhinus mrigala by ovaprim injection for quality seed production., J. Adv. Zool., 18(1), 38-41.
- Pandey A.C. and Singh R.N. (1997)., Ovaprim for mass breeding of Indian major carps., Indian J. Anim. Sci., 67 (12), 1133-1134.
- Little J.M. and Dawson J.A. (1989)., Advances in finfish induced breeding - from laboratory to field., Marine Biotechnology Conference, Tokyo, Japan.
- Pandey A.K., Patiyal R.S., Upadhyay J.C., Tyagi M. and Mahanta P.C. (1998)., Induced spawning of golden mahasheer (Tor pulitora) with ovaprim at state fish farm near Dehradun., Indian J. Fish., 45, 457-459.
- Khan H. (1945)., Observations on the spawning behaviour of carps in Punjab., Proc. Nat. Inst. Sci. India., 11(3), 315-320.
- Chaudhari H. (1960)., Experiments on induced spawning of Indian carps with pitutary injections., Indian J. Fish., 7 (11), 20-49.