Detection of Arctigenin in Ipomoea cairica L. leaves: A potential drug for Japanese encephalitis
- 1Department of Botany, D.D.U. Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 6, Issue (8), Pages 47-49, August,10 (2017)
Ipomoea cairica L. is a perennial herb which grows in unstable sites, such as waste-ground and roadsides in urban areas. It has been reported for several medicinal properties. Literature survey revealed the presence of phenylpropanoid compounds in this plant. One of such compound is Arctigenin. Arctigenin, is a Phenylpropanoid dibenzylbutyrolactone lignan with antinflammatory and antioxidant activities. Recent report suggests that arctigenin inhibits neuronal apoptosis and can reduce the severity of Japanese encephalitis. The presence work confirms the presence of arctigenin in cultivated plant of Ipomoea cairica leaves extract. The dried leaves sample was extracted through column chromatography with ethanol. The extracted samples were subjected to thin layer chromatography (TLC) taking Benzene: Ethyle acetate (9:1 ratio) and high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) in methanol. Identification of the isolated compounds was done with reference standard using TLC and HPLC. The present study confirms the presence of arctigenin in leaves extract of Ipomoea cairia leaves.
- Srivastava D. and Shukla K. (2015)., Ipomoea cairica: A medicinal weed with promising health benefits., International J. of Research and Review, 2(5), 687-694.
- Srivastava D. and Shukla K. (2015)., Antioxidant potential of Medicinal plant Ipomoea cairica (L) Sweet., Int. J of Dev. Res., 5(4), 4255-4258.
- Ferreira A.A., Amaral F.A., Duarte I.D.G., Oliveira P.M., Alves R.B., Silveira D., Azevedo A.O., Raslan D.S. and Castro M.S.A. (2006)., Antinociceptive effect from Ipomoea cairica extract., J. Ethnopharmacol., 105, 148-153.
- Han B.H., Kang Y.H., Yang H.O. and Park M.K.(1994)., A butyrolactone lignan dimer from Arctium lappa., Phytochemistry, 37(4), 1161-1163.
- Zhou X., Zhang H., Ge L., Gong H. and Tian S. (2011)., Determination of Arctiin and Arctigenin contents in Arctium tomentosum Mill. By HPLC Method., Journal of Chemistr., 8(S1), S372-S376.
- Song J., Li A., Xia Y., Gao Z., Zou S.F., Kong L., Yao Y.J., Jiao Y.N., Yan Y.H., Li S.H., Tao Z.Y., Lian G., Yang J.X. and Kang T.G. (2016)., Arctigenin Treatment Protects against Brain Damage through an Anti-Inflammatory and AntiApoptotic Mechanism after Needle Insertion., Front. Pharmacol., 7(182), 1-16.
- Han H.Y., Kee J.Y., Kim D.S., Mun J.G., Jeong M.Y., Park S.H., Choi B.M., Park S.J., Kim H.J., Um J.Y. and Hong S.H. (2016)., Arctigenin Inhibits Lung Metastasis of Colorectal Cancer by Regulating Cell Viability and Metastatic Phenotypes., Molecules, 21(9), 1135.
- Srivastava D. and Shukla K. (2017)., Arctigenin, A plant Lignan with tremendous potential: A review., International Journal of Current Research, 9(4), 50232-50237.
- Li X.M., Miao Y., Su Q.Y., Yao J.C., Li H.H. and Zhang G.M. (2016)., Gastroprotective effects of arctigenin of Arctium lappa L. on a rat model of gastric ulcers., Biomedical Reports, 5(5), 589-594.
- Huang J., Xiao L., Wei J.X., Shu Y.H., Fang S.Q., Wang Y.T. and Lu X.M. (2017)., Protective effect of arctigenin on ethanol induced neurotoxicity in PC 12 cells., Mol. Med. Rep., 15(4), 2235-2240
- Zhu Zhiyuan, Yan Jianming, Jiang Wei, Yao Xin-gang, Chen Jing, Chen Lili, Li Chenjing, Hu Lihong, Jiang Hualiang and Shen Xu (2013)., Arctigenin effectively ameliorates memory impairment in Alzimer’s disease model mice targeting both α-amyloid production and clearance., Journal of Neuroscience, 33(32), 13138-13149.
- Swarup V., Ghosh J., Mishra M.K. and Basu A. (2008)., Novel strategy for treatment of Japanese encephalitis using arctigenin, a plant lignan., J. Antimicrob Chemother., 61(3), 679-688.
- Srivastava D. (2016)., Global Scenarion of Abtiviral Drugs for Japanese Encephalitis., Research Journal of Recent Sciences, 5(10), 1-5.