In vitro bioactivity and phytochemical characterization of Nypa fruticans. Wurmb: a mangrove from Kerala, India
- 1Department of Botany, St’ Teresa’s College, Ernakulam, Kerala, India
- 2Department of Botany, St’ Teresa’s College, Ernakulam, Kerala, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 6, Issue (6), Pages 41-51, June,10 (2017)
Nypa fruticans Wurmb is an underutilized mangrove plant in India. Mangroves generally contain more secondary metabolites to thrive in a saline environment. The present study focuses on estimation of primary metabolites like carbohydrates, proteins, lipids etc and secondary metabolites like flavonoids, phenols, tannins etc from different parts of Nypa plant such as leaf, stem, male flower, bracts, unripe endosperm and ripe endosperm. Total phenolic content (79.91±1.63 mg/g) and flavonoid contents (99.5±0.936mg/g) were high in the leaves compared to young and mature endosperm. The antioxidant activity using DPPH and SOD scavenging assay also showed very high in leaves. IC50 value of leaves for DPPH scavenging assay was 6.11±1.68 µg/ml and SOD scavenging assay was 11.85±1.16 µg/ml. GC-MS and LC-MS analysis of NFME of leaves identified several bioactive compounds. Brenzcatechin, 4-vinylphenol, 4-vinyl 2-methoxy-phenol, hexadecanoic acid etc were some of the compounds obtained from GC-MS analysis. In vitro study of methanolic extract for anti-diabetic, anti-arthritic, and anti-inflammatory activity were evaluated and % inhibition was high. Percentage of &
- Lovly M.S. and Merlee Teresa M.V. (2016)., Nypa palm (Nypa fruticans Wurmb.) A new record from Kerala., International Journal of Advanced Research, 4(6), 1051-1055.
- Ebana R.U.B., Etok C.A. and Edet U.O. (2015)., Phytochemical screening and Antimicrobial activity of Nypa fruticans harvested from Oporo Riverin the Niger Delta Region of Nigeria., International J of Innovation Appl.Sci, 10(4), 1120-1124.
- Cheynier V., Comte G., Davies K.M., Lattanzio V. and Marterns S. (2013)., Plant Phenolics: Recent Advances on Their Biosynthesis, Genetics and Ecophysiology., Plant Physiol. Biochem., 72, 1-20.
- Prasad K.N., Zabidah A.A., Azrina A., Amin I. and Zulfiki B.R. (2012)., Antioxidant Capacity of Nypa fruticans Wurmb. Fruit., Intl. J. Nutrition, Food Public Health., 5(1-3), 61-78.
- Prasad K.N., Yang B., Kong K.W., Khoo H.E., Sun J., Azrina A., Ismail A. and Romli Z.B. (2013)., Phytochemicals and Antioxidant Capacity from Nypa fruticans Wurmb. Fruit., Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 1-9. http://dx.doi. org/10.1155/2013/154606
- Aziz A. and Jack R. (2015)., Total Phenolic content and Antioxidant activity in Nypa fruticans extracts., Journal of Sustainability of Science and Management, 10(1), 87-91.
- Yusoff Nor Adlin, Ahmad Mariam, Hindi Bassel al, Widyawati Tri, Yam Mun Fei, Mahmud Roziahanim, Khairul Niza Abdul Razak and Mohd Zaini Asmawi (2015)., Aqueous Extract of Nypa fruticans.Wurmb. Vinegar Alleviates Postprandial Hyperglycemia in Normoglycemic Rats., Nutrients, 7(8), 7012-7026.
- Reza Hasan, Haq Wahid Mozammel, Das Asish K., Rahman Shahnaz, Jahan Rownak and Rahmatullah Mohammed (2011)., Anti-hyperglycemic and Antinociceptive activity of methanol leaf and stem extract of Nypa fruticans wurmb., Pak. j. pharm. sci., 24(4), 485-488.
- Dubois M., Gilles K.A., Hamilton J.K., Rebers P.A. and Smith F. (1956)., Calorimetric Method for determination of Sugars and related Substances., Anal. Chem., 28(3), 350- 356.
- Lowry O.H., Rosebrough N.J., Farr A.L. and Randall R.J. (1951)., Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent., J. Biol. Chem., 193, 265-275.
- Barnes H. and Blackstock J. (1973)., Estimation of lipids in marine animals and tissues: Detailed investigation of the sulphosphovanillin method for, J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol., 12, 103-118
- Marinova D. Ribarova F. and Atanassova M. (2005)., Total phenolics and total Flavonoids in Bulgarian fruits and vegetables., Journal of the University of chemical technology and metallurgy, 40(3), 255-260.
- Hossain M.A. and Nagooru M.R. (2011)., Biochemical profiling and total flavonoids contents of leaves crude extract of endemic medicinal plant Corydyline terminalis L. Kunth., Pharmacogn J., 3(24), 25-30.
- Boham A.B. and Kocipai A.R. (1994)., Flavonoid and condensed tannins from leaves of Hawaiian vaccinum vaticulum and vicalycimum., Pracific Sci., 48, 458-463.
- Ranganna S. (1986)., Handbook of Analysis and Quality Control for Fruit and Vegetable Products., Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Co. Ltd., New Delhi, 190-210.
- Nishikimi M., Rao N.A and Yagi K. (1972)., The occurrence of superoxide anion in the reaction of reduced phenazine methosulfate and molecular oxygen., Biochem Biophys Res Commun., 46(2), 849-854.
- Shimada K., Fujikawa K., Yahara K. and Nakamura T. (1992)., Antioxidative properties of xanthan on the autoxidation of soybean oil in cyclodextrin emulsion., Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 40(6), 945-948.
- Mizushima Y. and Kobayashi M. (1968)., Interaction of anti-inflammatory drugs with serum proteins especially with some biologically active proteins., J Pharm Pharmacol, 20(3), 169-173.
- Thalapaneni N.R., Chidambaram K.A., Ellappan T., Sabapati M.L. and Mandal S.C. (2008)., Evaluation of α-amylase, α-glucosidase and aldose reductase inhibitors ethyl acetate extract of endophytic fungi isolated from antidiabetic medicinal plants., Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine, 5(1), 1-10.
- Sakat S., Juvekar Archana R. and Gambhire Manoj N. (2010)., In vitro Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory activity of methanol extract of Oxalis corniculata.Linn., International Journal of Pharma and Pharmacological sciences, 2(1), 146-155.
- Joshi L., Kanagaratnam U. and Adhuri D. (2006)., Nypa fruticans—useful but forgotten in mangrove reforestration program., Resilience, Rights and Resources. http://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org.
- Bravo L. (1988)., Polyphenols: chemistry, dietary sources,metabolism, and nutritional significance., Nutrition Reviews, 56(11), 317-333.
- Nakayoma J. and Yamada M. (1995)., Suppression of active oxygen-indeed cyto- toxicity by flavonoids., Biochem Pharmcol, 45, 265-267.
- Paivake A.E.A. (1985)., Tapping practices and sap yields of the nipa palm (Nypa fruticans) in Papua New Guinea., Agric. Ecosyst. Environ., 13(1), 59-72.
- Tsuji Koji, Ghazalli Mohd Nor Faizal, Ariffin Zulhairil, Nordin Mohd Shukor, Khaidizar Maya Izar, Dulloo Mohammad Ehsan and Sebastian Leocadio S. (2011)., Biological and Ethnobotanical Characteristics of Nipa Palm (Nypa fructicans Wurmb.): A Review., Sains Malaysiana, 40(12), 1407-1412
- Neo Y.P., Azis A., Tan C.P. and Tan Y.A. (2008)., Determination of Oil Palm Fruit Phenolic Compounds and Their Antioxidant Activities Using Spectrophotometric Methods., Intl. J. Food Sci. Technol., 43(10), 1832-1837.
- Zhang W., Li B., Han L. and Zhang H. (2009)., Antioxidant Activity of Extract from Areca (Areca catechu L) Flower, Hush and Seed., African J. Biotechnol., 8(16), 3887-3892.
- Ban J.O., Hwang I.G., Kim T.M., Hwang B.Y., Lee U.S., Jeong H.S., Yoon Y.W., Kim D.J. and Hong J.T. (2007)., Anti-proliferate and pro-apoptotic effects of 2,3-dihydro-3,5-dihydroxy-6-methyl- 4H-pyranone through inactivation of NF-κB in human colon cancer cells., Arch Pharm Res., 30(11), 1455-1463.
- Huang Z., Dostal L. and Rosazza J.P. (1993)., Microbial transformations of ferulic acid by Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Pseudomonas fluorescens., Applied and Environmental Microbiology.
- Steck W.F., Underhill E.W., Bailey B.K. and Chisholm M.D. (1982)., (Z )-7-Tetradecenal, a Seasonally Dependent Sex Pheromone of the w-Marked Cutworm, Spaelotis clandestina (Harris) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae)., Environ Entomol, 11(5), 1119-1122
- Carrasco F. (2009)., Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients 4th ed., . Francisco Carrasco Otero, 428.
- Pietta P.G. (2000)., Flavonoids as antioxidants., Journal of Natural Products, 63(7), 1035-1042.
- Ferguson L.R., Shuo-tun Z. and Harris P.J (2005)., Antioxidant and antigenotoxic effects of plant cell wall hydroxycinnamic acids in cultured HT-29 cell., Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, 49(6), 585-593.
- Kikugawa K., Hakamada T., Hasunuma M. and Kurechi T. (1983)., Reaction of p-hydroxycinnamic acid derivatives with nitrite and its relevance to nitrosamine formation., Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 31(4), 780-785.
- Kassim Mustafa, Achoui Mouna, Mustafa Mohd Rais, Mohd Mustafa Ali and Yusoff Kamaruddin Mohd (2010)., Ellagic acid, phenolic acids, and flavonoids in Malaysian honey extracts demonstrate in vitro anti-inflammatory activity., Nutrition Research, 30(9), 650-659.
- Zhao Y., Wang J., Ballevre O., Luo H. and Zhang W. (2011)., Antihypertensive effects and mechanisms of chlorogenic acids, . Hypertension Research, 35(4), 370-374.
- Onakpoya I.J., Spencer E.A., Thompson M.J. and Heneghan C.J. (2015)., The effect of chlorogenic acid on blood pressure: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials., Journal of Human Hypertension, 29(2), 77-81.
- Souquet J., Cheynier Véronique, Brossaud Franck and Moutounet Michel (1996)., Polymeric proanthocyanidins from grape skins, . Phytochemistry, 43(2), 509-512.
- Yang J. and Xiao Y.Y (2013)., Grape phytochemicals and associated health benefits., Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr., 53(11), 1202-1225.
- Kreft S., Knapp M. and Kreft I. (1999)., Extraction of rutin from buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentumMoench) seeds and determination by capillary electrophoresis., Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 47(11), 4649-4652.
- Baja-Lapis A.C., David M.E., Reyes C.G. and Audije B.S. (2004)., Asean’s 100most precious plants., European Commission (Phillipines).
- Paivoke A., Adams M.R. and Twiddy D.R. (1985)., Nipa Palm Vineager in Papua-New-Guinea., ProcessBiochem., 19, 84-87.
- Hamilton L.S. and Murphy D.H. (1988)., Use and management of Nypa palm (Nypa fruticans, Arecaceae): a review., Economic Botany, 42(2), 206-213.