Seasonal variations in the bottom sedimental macro-nutrients and its impact on the bio-chemical profile of fresh water molluscan Pila globosa
- 1Research Department of Zoology, Seethalakshmi Ramaswami College (Women), Thiruchirappalli - 620 002, India
- 2Research Department of Zoology, Seethalakshmi Ramaswami College (Women), Thiruchirappalli - 620 002, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 6, Issue (5), Pages 10-14, May,10 (2017)
The study was carried out to determine the nutrient content of important molluscs. Pila globosa, the commonly available fresh water molluscan species was selected for the ananlysis, and to investigate the size and seasonal variation of Protein, Carbohydrate, and Lipid contents from Koothaippar wetlands, between August 2013 to January 2014, covering three Seasons, Pre – Monsoon (August and September), Monsoon (October – December) and Post Monsoon (January). Low amount of protein was recorded in premonsoon season (0.0933 mg) and maximum in Postmonsoon season (0.1363mg). Minimum amount of carbohydrate was recorded in premonsoon (0.0733mg) and maximum in Postmonsoon (0.0933mg). Minimum amount of lipid present in Monsoon and Postmonsoon season (0.08mg). Total quantity of protein in region I, and low values of protein present in monsoon (0.081mg) and high during Postmonsoon season (0.153mg). The low amount of carbohydrate was present in premonsoon season 0.0643mg and maximum in monsoon season (0.161mg) in region II. This paper highlights the preliminary investigation of the bottom sedimental macro nutrients and the influence of these sedimental characteristics on the nutritive profile of Pila golobosa in two regions of Koothaippar lake ecosystem.
- Padidela Swapna and Thummala R.R. (2015)., Proximate, Amino acid, Fatty acid and mineral analysis of Bivalve Parreysia Cylindrica from Waddepally and Kaleshwaram Lake., World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical sciences, 4(4), 1388-1401.
- Subba Rao N.V. and Dey A. (1989)., Freshwater Mollusca in Aquaculture., Handbook of Freshwater Molluscs of India, 225-232.
- Thorp James H. and Covich Alan P. (2009)., Ecology and classification of North American Freshwater Invertebrate., Academic Press, 331-429.
- Rao Subba N.V. (1993)., Freshwater Molluscs of India., Recent Advances in Freshwater Biology. New Delhi. Anmol Publication, 2, 187-202.
- Raveendran (2016)., Molluscan Diversity in Keezhathottam of Thanjavur District, Tamil Nadu, India with special Reference to Gastropods and Bivalves., International Journal of Zoology and Applied Biosciences, 1, 141-143.
- Malleswar Dharanikota (2014)., Activities of selected enzymes in various Tissues of Pila globosa under Heat shock., International journal of Environment sciences, 3(6), 11-15.
- Rao Subba N.V. (1989)., Handbook freshwater molluscs of India., Zoological Survey of India. The Radiant Process Private Limited. Calcutta, 1-283.
- Nazir Ahmed T.A. (2007)., A practical manual for M.Sc. Zoology., M.M.A. Publication. 269-A, Bharathisalai, Karikkadu, pattukkottai, 159-161.
- Maheswari A.S. and Thiyagesan K. (2014)., Macro nutrients (N, P & K) Profile of the bottom sediments of koothaippar wetlands in Relation to sediment pH, electrical conductivity, Atmospheric and water temperature., Biochem. cell. Arch., 14(2), 343-347.