Induced mutagenic effect of chemical and physical mutagens on pollen sterility in sunflower (Helianthus annus L.)
- 1Department of Batany, Vasant Mahavidyalaya Kaij, Dist. Beed Maharashtra-431123, India
- 2Department of Batany, Vasant Mahavidyalaya Kaij, Dist. Beed Maharashtra-431123, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 6, Issue (3), Pages 55-57, March,10 (2017)
Sunflower [Helianthus annus L.] belongs to family composite (Asteraceae). In the present study experimental seeds of two sunflower cultivars namely ‘Bhanu’ and ‘SS56’ treated with various concentration of chemical mutagens [EMS and SA] and physical mutagen (Gamma rays). Effect of these mutagens on pollen sterility were studied in M 1 generation. The maximum pollen sterility in the variety of Bhanu (71.42%) could be observing in gamma ray 10 kR while variety of SS-56 (42.32%) observed in EMS 0.10 %. The induced mutation plays an important role in crop improvement, either through physical and chemical mutagens.
- Gregory W.C. (1961)., Efficiency of mutation breeding., Mutation and plant breeding, USA. Nat. Acad. sci. Nat. Rescounc. pub., 89(1), 461-486.
- Kawai T. (1963)., Mutation in rice induced by radiation and their signification in rice breeding 2. Mutation by radiophosphorus., Bull. Nat Inst Agric. Sci. (Japan) series, 10, 1-75.
- Krull C Fand (1960)., Genetic variability in oats following hybridization and radiation., Crop sci., 1, 1-63
- Nayar G.G. (1968)., Seed Colour Mutation in Brassica juncea Hook. F. and Thomas induced by radioactive phosphorus 32 p., Sci. and Culture., 34, 421-422.
- Ramya B., Nallathambi G. and Ram S.G. (2014)., The effect of mutagens on M1 population of black gram (Vignomungo L. Hepper)., Africa Journal of Biotechnology, 13(8), 951-956.
- Gautum A.S., Sood K.C. and Richarria A.K. (1992)., Mutagenic effectiveness and efficiency of gamma ray, EMS and their synergistic effect in black gram (Vigna mungo L.), Cytologia, 57(1), 85-89.