FT-IR analysis and correlation studies on the antioxidant activity, total phenolics and total flavonoids of Indian commercial teas (Camellia sinensis L.) - A novel approach
- 1Department of Botany, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
- 2Department of Botany, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
- 3Physics Wing (DDE), Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
- 4Department of Physics, Mohamed Sathak Engineering College, Kilakarai-623806, Ramnad, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 6, Issue (3), Pages 1-7, March,10 (2017)
Fourier Transform Infrared (FT-IR) spectra were recorded to analyse the phytochemicals in six commercial green tea (Camellia sinensis L.) samples acquired from diverse locations in India. Main focus was made on the absorbance (%) of selected prominent vibrational bands relevant to the chemical compounds with antioxidant properties (polyphenols, flavonoids). The colorimetric data of the green tea samples such as antioxidant activity assayed by 1,1-diphenylpicrylhydrazyl (DPPH) – radical scavenging activity (RSA) and ferric reducing antioxidant power (FRAP) assay and total phenolic content (TPC) assayed by Folin-ciocalteu method and total flavonoids (TF) assayed by aluminium chloride method were used in the present study (Authors’ work communicated elsewhere). A novel attempt has been made to correlate the FT-IR data and the colorimetric data of the green tea samples without using advanced chemometric procedures. Very interestingly excellent correlations were observed among the studied parameters with higher values of correlation coefficients (R2 > 0.9). This implies that FT-IR analysis may be used in a simple way to rapidly estimate antioxidant potentials of plant extracts.
- Karori S.M., Wachira F.N., Wanyoko J.K. and Nigure R.M. (2007)., Antioxidant capacity of different types of tea products., Afr J Biotechnol, 6(19), 2287-2296.
- Peterson J., Dwyer J., Bhagwat S., Haylowitz D., Hoiden J., Eldridge A.L., Beecher G. and Ala-Desamni J. (2005)., Major flavonoids in dry tea., J Food Compost Anal , 18(6), 487-501.
- Pellilo M., Bendini A., Biguzzi B., Toschi G.T., Vanzini M. and Lercker G. (2002)., Preliminary investigation into development of HPLC and UV and MS-electroscopy detection for analysis of tea catechins., Food Chem, 78(3), 369-374.
- Siddhuraju P. and Manian S. (2007)., The antioxidant activity and free radical scavenging capacity of dietary phenolic extracts from horse gram (Macrotyloma uniflorum (Lam.) Verdc.) seeds., Food Chem, 105(3), 950-958.
- Hagerman A.E., Riedi K.M., Jones G.A., Sovik K.N., Ritchard N.T. and Hartzfeld P.W. (1998)., High molecular weight plant polyphenolics (tannins) as biological antioxidants., J Agric Food Chem, 46(5), 1887-1892.
- Brand-Williams W., Cuvelier M.E. and Berset C. (1995)., Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity., Lebensm Wiss Technol, 28(1), 25-30.
- Chand S. and Dave R. (2009)., In vitro models for antioxidant activity evaluation and some medicinal plants possessing antioxidant properties: An overview., Afr J Microbiol Res, 3(13), 981-996.
- Razali N., Razab R., Junit S.M. and Aziz A.A. (2008)., Radical scavenging and reducing properties of extracts of cashew shoots (Anacardium occidentale)., Food Chem, 111(1), 38-44.
- Khodaie L., Bamdad S., Delazar A. and Nazemiyeh H. (2012)., Antioxidant, total phenol and flavonoid contents of two Pedicularis L. species from eastern Azerbaijan, Iran., BioImpacts, 2(1), 47-53.
- Abdel-Hameed E.S.S. (2009)., Total phenolic contents and free radical scavenging activity of certain Egyptian Ficus species leaf samples., Food Chem, 114(4), 1271-1277.
- Kalaivani C.S., Sathish S.S., Janakiraman N. and Johnson M. (2012)., GC-MS studies on Andrographis panicula (Burm. f.) Wall. ex Nees – A medicinally important plant., Int J Med Arom Plants, 2(1), 69-74.
- Sangeetha J. and Vijayalakshmi K. (2011)., Determination of bioactive components of ethyl acetate fraction of Punica granatum Rind extract., Int J Pharmacol Sci Drug Res, 3(2), 116-122.
- Velioglu Y.S., Mazza G., Gao L. and Oomah B.D. (1998)., Antioxidant activity and total phenolics in selected fruits, vegetables and grain products., J Agric Food Chem, 46(10), 4113-4117.
- Li H.B., Cheng K.W., Wong C.C., Fan K.W., Chen F. and Jiang Y. (2007)., Evaluation of antioxidant capacity and total phenolic content of different fractions of selected microalgae., Food Chem, 102(3), 771-776.
- Turkmen N., Sari F. and Velioglu Y.S. (2006)., Effects of extraction solvents on concentration and antioxidant activity of black and black mate tea polyphenols determined by ferrous tartrate and Foil-ciocalteu methods., Food Chem, 99(4), 835-841.
- Ruan Z.P., Zhang L.L. and Lin Y.M. (2008)., Evaluation of the antioxidant activity of Syzygium cumini leaves., Molecules, 13(10), 2545-2556.
- McDonald S., Prenzler P.D., Antolovich M. and Robards K. (2001)., Phenolic content and antioxidant activity of olive extracts., Food Chem, 73(1), 73-84.
- Lu X., Wang J., Al-Quadiri H.M., Ross C.F. and Powers J.R. (2011)., Determination of total phenolic content and antioxidant capacity of onion (Allium cepa) and shallot (Allium oschaninii) using infrared spectroscopy., Food Chem, 129(2), 637-644.
- Leopold I.F., Leopold N., Diehl H.A. and Socaciu C. (2012)., Prediction of total antioxidant capacity of fruit juices using FTIR spectroscopy and PLS regression., Food Anal Method, 5(3), 405-407.
- Lam H.S., Proctor A., Howard L. and Cho M.J. (2005)., Rapid fruit extracts antioxidant capacity determination by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy., J Food Sci C Food Chem Toxicol, 70(9), 545-549.
- Versari A., Parpinello G.P., Scazzina F. and Rio D. (2010), Prediction of total antioxidant capacity of red wine by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy., J Food Control, 21(5), 786-789.
- Rohman A. and Man Y.B.C. (2012)., The chemometrics approach applied to FTIR spectral data for the analysis of rice bran oil in extra virgin olive oil., Chemometr Intell Lab, 110(1), 129-134.
- Lu X. and Rasco B.A. (2012)., Determination of antioxidant content and antioxidant activity in foods using infrared spectroscopy and chemometrics: a review., Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr, 52(10), 853-875.
- Siju E.N., Rajalakshmi G.R., Kavitha V.P. and Joseph A. (2010)., In vitro antioxidant activity of Mussaenda frondosa., Int J Pharm Tech Res, 2(2), 1236-1240.
- Patel V.R., Patel P.R. and Kajal S.S. (2010)., Antioxidant activity of some selected medicinal plants in Western Region of India., Adv Biol Res, 4(1), 23-26.
- Orcic D.Z., Mimica-Dukic N.M., Franciskovic M.M., Petrovic S.S. and Jovin E.D. (2011)., Antioxidant activity relationship of phenolic compounds in Hypericum perforatum L., Chem Cent J, 5(1), 34.