Assessment of diversity and threats of avifauna in and around Sonavade village (Tarf-Kalsuli), Dist- Sindhudurg, Maharashtra, India
- 1Ecocare Ecology Consultant, 10 Hedvekar wadi no. 2, D.S. Babrekar Marg, Gokhale Road, Dadar west Mumbai 400028, MS, India
- 2Ecocare Ecology Consultant, 10 Hedvekar wadi no. 2, D.S. Babrekar Marg, Gokhale Road, Dadar west Mumbai 400028, MS, India
- 3VIVA College of Arts, Commerce and Science, Viva College Road, Virar West, Vasai – 401303, MS, India
- 4Ecocare Ecology Consultant, 10 Hedvekar wadi no. 2, D.S. Babrekar Marg, Gokhale Road, Dadar west Mumbai 400028, MS, India
- 5Ecocare Ecology Consultant, 10 Hedvekar wadi no. 2, D.S. Babrekar Marg, Gokhale Road, Dadar west Mumbai 400028, MS, India
- 6Ecocare Ecology Consultant, 10 Hedvekar wadi no. 2, D.S. Babrekar Marg, Gokhale Road, Dadar west Mumbai 400028, MS, India
- 7VIVA College of Arts, Commerce and Science, Viva College Road, Virar West, Vasai – 401303, MS, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 6, Issue (12), Pages 7-14, December,10 (2017)
The present investigation was carried out in and around Sonavade village, Tarf-Kalsuli, Tal- Kudal, Sindhudurg district of Maharashtra. Sonavade village is located in Sahyadri mountain ranges of Western Ghat. The study area is in the vicinity of the Dajipur Wildlife Sanctuary. During the study period of May 2015 to April 2017 a total number of 136 species from 16 orders and 41 families were recorded. As per the observations of the study conducted, avifauna order Passeriformes is dominant in study area (56%), including 76 bird species in 18 families followed by Coraciiformes (7%), Accipitriformes (6%), Apodiformes, Columbiformes, Piciformes, Galliformes each 4%. Psittaciformes 3%, Capriulgiformes, Charadriiformes, Strigiformes each 2% and Trogoniformes, Bucerotiformes, Falconiformes, Suliformes each 1%. According to ‘The IUCN Redlist of Threatened Species List’ 130 species of birds observed during the study are found to be listed in Least Concern category, while Chloropsis cochinchinensis, Buceros bicornis, Anthracoceros coronatus, Sterna aurantia and Psittacula eupatria are listed in Near Threaten category (NT). Indian Vulture (Gyps indicus) Critically Endangered (CR) species was also observed in hilly part of the area under study. Geographical location of study area provides a healthy habitat for birds. Study area is rich in bird diversity but anthropogenic development, loss of habitat and poaching/hunting are the main threats to the avifauna in the study area. This study was conducted to prepare a baseline data for this region which will be referral document for conservation and research related activities undertaken in future.
- Grimmett R., Inskipp C. and Inskipp T. (2013)., Pocket guide to the Birds of Indian subcontinent., Oxford university press, New Delhi, India, 1-226, ISBN: 9781408162644
- Pritesh Ghadigaonkar (2016)., Avian diversity in and around Ajoba fort, Thane District, Maharashtra., International research Journal of biological science, 5(2), 7-15.
- Farheen Khan (2016)., Seasonal variation of avifaunal diversity of wetland near new VIVA college, Virar West, District Palghar, Maharashtra India., International research Journal of Environmental science, 5(11), 47-55.
- Pawar P.R. (2011)., Species diversity of birds in mangroves of Uran (Raigad), Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, West coast of India., Journal of Experimental Sciences, 2(10), 73-77.
- Walmiki N. (2013)., Avian diversity in and around Bassein Fort and Creek, Dist. Thane, Maharashtra., International Journal of Advanced Research, 1(3), 73-85.
- Dekate H.M. and Baviskar R.M. (2016)., Biodiversity of avifauna in Mumbri creek of south Konkan, Deogad Taluka Maharashtra., Int. J. of Life Science, 4, 145-147.
- Patil A.J., Rao G.B., Shirke B., Babu S. and Quadros G. (2015)., Diversity of avifauna in the shallow pat lake in Kudal taluka of sindhudurga district., UGC sponsored National seminar on
- Varkey J., Pandirkar A.H., Fernandes B., Pathak K., Khadye P. and Ghadigaonkar P. (2015)., Threats to the existing diversity of avifauna of Gogte salt plant, Mumbai., Suburb Proceedings of the UGC Sponsored National Seminar on Wetlands: Present Status, Ecology and Conservation, India, 1-8.
- Avibase-Bird checklist of the world (Sindhudurga) (2017), http://avibase.bsc eoc.org/checklist.jsp?region=INswmhsi&list=howardmoore, 18 Aug 2017, undefined, undefined
- Indian biodiversity portal (2017)., Checklist of birds of Radhanagari Wildlife sanctuary., http://oldwww.wii.gov.in/nwd_birds/rad.htm, 18 Aug 2017
- Ali S. and Dillon R. (2003)., A pictorial Guide to the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent, Oxford, India., 1-466, ISBN: 0195665236
- Bikram Grewal (2016)., A pictorial field guide to Birds of India, pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Shrilanka and Bangladesh., Om Book International, India, 789, ISBN: 10987654321