Genetic diversity in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) genotypes grown in Bangladesh
- 1Department of Botany, University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh
- 2Department of Botany, University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh
- 3Department of Botany, University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 6, Issue (11), Pages 1-8, November,10 (2017)
Using biometrical methods of the genetic parameter, the present study was investigating the genetic diversity of 31 potato genotypes grown in Bangladesh. Thirty-one genotypes, year and interaction (G×Y) items were well differentiated by the analysis of variance. Greater variability observed among the varieties was due to genetic causes according to genetic parameter study. The results also indicate that plant height, number of leaflets/compound leaf, leaf area, foliage coverage/plant, fresh weight/compound leaf, number of tuber/plant, single tuber weight/plant and tuber weight/plant exhibited high GA, high heritability as well as high GAM (% of mean), therefore, these characters might be advocated to improve the tuber yield by effective selection. Five different cluster might be included 31 genotypes according to cluster analysis and these cluster analysis comment that cluster II and III was far diverse from genotypes of the cluster I where as it was least diverse from the genotypes belonging to V and IV. Heterogeneous and homogeneous nature between and within groups were suggested for higher inter cluster distance than intra-cluster respectively. Considering all the characters, it might be suggested for developing high yielding varieties of potato through breeding programs using the genotypes of cluster I and II.
- CIP potato facts (2015). International Potato Centre, Lima, Peru. http://www. Cipotato.org/new/potatofacts, undefined, undefined
- Sattar M.A., Sultana N., Hossain M.M., Rashid M.H. and Islam K.M. (2007)., Genetic variability, correlation and path analysis in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.)., Bangladesh J of Plant Breed and Gene, 20(1), 33-38.
- Petros A.F.Y. and Zelleke H. (2013)., Genetic variability and association between agronomic characters in some potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) genotypes in SNNPRS, Ethiopia., Inter J Biod and Conser, 5(8), 523-528.
- Gopal J. (1999)., Genetic parameters and character association for clonal selection in potato breeding programmes., Agron EDP Sci, 19(6), 531-539.
- Anonymous (2012). Ministry of Agriculture Statistical Year Book, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 25., undefined, undefined
- Mather K. (1949)., Biometrical Genetics., London, Methuen & Co.
- Fisher R.A. (1932)., Statistical Methods for Research Workers., 4th (ed) Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh.
- Singh R.K. and Chaudhary B.D. (1977)., Biometrical methods in quantitative Genetic Analysis., Kalyani Publishers, New Delhi, India.
- Mahalanodis P.C. (1936)., On the generalized distance in statistics., Proc Natl Sci India, 2, 49-55.
- Haque M.M. (1997)., Genetic study of yield and yield components under soil moisture stress condition in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.)., M.Sc. Thesis, Rajshahi University, Bangladesh.
- Nahar S.M.N. (1997)., Genetic study of economically important characters and construction of selection index in sugarcane., Ph. D. Thesis, Rajshahi University, Bangladesh.
- Solomon F., Nebiyu A. and Mulualem T. (2015)., Estimates of genetic components for yield and yield related traits of Tannia (Xanthosoma sagittifolium (L.) Schott) genotypes at Jimma, Southwest Ethiopia., African J of Agri Res, 10(1), 23-30.
- Chaudhary S.K. (1985)., Variability for some quantitative characters in potato., Crop Impro, 12, 179-199.
- Chaudhary S.K. and Sharma S.K. (1984)., Genetic variability for yield and its components in potato breeding materials., Indian J of Agri Sci, 54, 941-942.
- Garg L.P. and Bhutani R.D. (1991)., Variability and heritability studies in some important traits in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.)., Haryana J Hort Sci, 20, 239-243.
- Gaur P.C., Gupta P.K. and Kishore H. (1978). Studies on genetic divergence of potato. Euphytica 27, 361- 368.
- Pandita M.L., Sidhu A.S. and Arara S.K. (1981)., Variability and inter relationship between yield component in potato., Haryana Agril Univ J Res, 34, 1124.
- Pandita M.L. and Sidhu A.S. (1980)., Correlation and path analysis of some economic characters in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.)., Haryana J Hort Sci, 9(1-2), 62-65.
- Sidhu A.S. and Pandita M.L. (1979)., Genetic variability and correlation studies in potato (Solanum tuberosum L)., J of Indian Potato Assoc, 6, 103-108.
- Desai N.C. and Jaimini S.N. (1997)., Studies on genetic divergence in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.)., J Indian Potato Assoc, 24(3-4), 154-160.
- Akanda R.U., Mullahey J.J. and Brown W.F. (1995)., Tropical soda apple (Solanum viarum) seed survivability in the rumen., Weed Sci Soc Am Abstr, 35, 27.
- Patil R.B. and Baviskar A.P. (1987)., Variability studies in cowpea., J Maharastra Agric Univ, 12, 63.
- Pathak V.D., Patel V.J. and Pathani K.V. (1993)., Variability studies in bunch and spreading types of groundnut at high and low fertility levels., GAV Res J, 19(1), 164.
- Malhotra V.V. and Khehra A.S. (1986)., Genetic variation and covariation in indigenus Germplasm In maize., Asian J Agric Sci, 7, 1-13.
- Parh D.K., kabir M.K., Hossain S.A. and Khaleque M.A. (1990)., Evaluation of efficiencies of the selection indices of yield in open pollinated maize., Bangladesh J Pl Breed Genet, 3(1-2), 9-14.
- Ali M.Y., Sarker R.A., Kabir K.M. and Islam M.H. (1994)., Estimation of genetic parameters character association and path analysis in different maize genotypes., Bangladesh J Pl Breed Genet, 7(2), 49-59.
- Johnson H.W., Robinson H.F. and Comstock R.E. (1955)., Estimates of genetic and environmental variability in Soybean., Agron. J., 47, 314-318.
- Dayal T.R., Upallhya M.D., Malhotra V.P. and Mehra K.L. (1972)., Heritability and correlation in yield and other quantitative characters in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.)., Indian J Agric Sci, 42(6), 464-466.
- Yildirim M.B. and ÇaliŞkan C.F. (1985)., Genotype × Environment interaction in Potato., Am Potato J, 62, 371-375.
- Mondal M.A.A. (2003)., Improvement of Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) through hybridization and in vitro culture technique., Ph.D. Thesis, Rajshahi Unversity, Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
- Singh S.P. and Singh H.N. (1979)., Genetic divergence in okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L. moerch)., Indian J Hort, 36(2), 166-170.