Status of some important pteridophytes from the parts of Northern Western Ghats of Maharashtra, India
- 1Department of Botany, Abasaheb Marathe Arts and New Commerce, Science College, Rajapur, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 6, Issue (1), Pages 47-49, January,10 (2017)
The present paper deals with the enumeration important ferns from Western Ghats, one of the World’s 12 mega-biodiversity hotspots. More than 30 species of pteridophytes were collected out of which some species have high medicinal importances which are being used in Ayurvedic, Unani, Siddha, Homeopathic and other preparations. Some of them are playing an important role as horticultural plant. Moreover, the population studies in the present investigation indicate that there is reduction of the pteridophytic flora. The anthropogenic factors have posed a serious threat, due to which there is complete disappearance od some species. The rapidly shrinking fern cover of Northern Western Ghats prompted to ponder over the issue.
- Dixit R.D. and Vohra J. N. (1984)., A Dictionary of the Pteridophytes of India., Botanical Survey of India, Howrah.
- Chandra S. (1940)., The Ferns of India (Enumeration, Synonyms and Distribution)., (Publ.) International Book Distributors, Dehra Dun, India, 459.
- Beddome R. H. (1970)., The ferns of Southern India., Today and Tomorrow Printers and Publishers, New Delhi 5, India, 359.
- Manickam V.S. and Ninan C.A. (1984)., Ecological studies on the fern flora of the Palni Hills (South India)., Today’s and Tomorrow’s printers and Publishers, New Delhi.
- Shaikh S.D. (2012)., Conservation of medicinal important ferns of Western Ghats of Maharashtra., Paper presented at International Conference on Current Trends in Medicinal Plants Research scheduled on 10-12th January 2012 and One day Workshop on Phytochemical Analysis of Therapeutically Active Constituents of Pharmaceutically Important Medicinal Plants on 13th January 2012.
- Manickam V.S. and Irudayaraj V. (1992)., Pteridophytes flora of the Western Ghats- South India., BI.,Publications, New Delhi.
- Fraser-Jenkins C.R. (2009)., A brief comparison of modern pteridophyte classifications (families and genera in India)., Indian Fern J., 26, 107-126.
- Shaikh S.D. and Dongare M. (2009)., The influence of microclimatic conditions on the diversity and richness of some ferns from the North-Western Ghats of Maharashtra., Indian Fern Journal, 26, 128-131.