Utilization of vermiwash potential against insect pests of tomato
- 1Department of Zoology, Jijamata College, Bhende Tal- Newasa, Dist – Ahmednagar, Maharashtra 414605, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 6, Issue (1), Pages 44-46, January,10 (2017)
Vermiwash is brownish red coloured liquid obtained from the body of earthworm containing excretory products, mucus and soil micronutrients collected after passing water through column of worm action. It is used as spray on tomato plants for controlling insect pests. Our study examines the effect of vermiwash on the pest infestation (at 20%, 30%, 40% and 50% concentration of vermiwash) on the tomato plants. Vermiwash caused significant reduction in pest infestation of tomato crop. In order to evaluate the impact of vermiwash (at 20%, 30%, 40% and 50% concentration of vermiwash) in suppressing insect pests of tomato, a field experiment was conducted. The vermiwash concentration 20% and 30% solutions were less effective as compared to 40% and 50% solutions against insect pest of tomato.
- Olaniyi O, Akanbi W, Adejumo T and Akande O.G. (2010)., Growth, fruit yield and nutritional quality of tomato varieties., African Journal of Food Science, 4(6), 398-402
- Hahn G. (2011)., Chitin Rich Vermicompost Repels Pests & Suppress Plant Diseases., California Vermiculture LLC. Retrieved from http://www.wormgold.com.
- Hahn G. (2011)., Effect of Vermicompost Tea on Pecan Nuts., California Vermiculture LLC. Retrieved from, http://www.wormgold.com.
- George S., Giraddi R.S. and Patil R.H. (2010)., Utility of Vermiwash for the Management of Thrips and Mites on Chilli (Capiscum annum) Amended with Soil Organics., Karnataka J. Agric. Sci., 20(3), 657-659.
- Ismail S.A. (1997)., Vermicology: The biology of earthworms., Orient Longman, Hyderabad, 92.
- Buckerfield J.C., Flavel T.C., Lee K.E. and Webster K.A. (1999)., Vermicompost in solid and liquid forms as a plant growth promoter., Pedobiologia, 43, 753-759.
- Anonymous (2001)., Vermicompost as an insect repellent., Biocycle, 01, 19.
- SSVSSS RECYCLING (2004)., Vermicompost suppress plant pests and disease attacks., In Rednova News, http://www.rednova.com/
- Suhane R.K., Sinha R.K. and Singh P.K. (2008)., Vermicompost, cattle-dung compost and chemical fertilizers: Impacts on yield of wheat crops., Communication of Rajendra Agriculture University, Pusa, Bihar, India.
- Sinha R.K., Herat S., Valani D. and Chauhan K. (2009)., Vermiculture and sustainable agriculture. American-Eurasian., J. Agric. Environ. Sci., 1818(5), 1-55.