The Efficacy of Herbicides in Controlling Mayaca fluviatilis: An Invasive Aquatic in Sri Lanka
- 1Postgraduate Institute of Science, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- 2Dept. of Horticulture and Landscape Gardening, Faculty of Agriculture and Plantation Mgt., Wayamba University of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
- 3Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- 4Department of Agribusiness Management, Faculty of Agriculture and Plantation Management, Wayamba University of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 5, Issue (9), Pages 41-44, September,10 (2016)
The present study describes an attempt to investigate the efficacy of herbicides available in the market and its concentration to control Mayaca fluviatillis, a potential invasive aquatic plant in Sri Lanka. The experiment included 11 different treatments; five different herbicides/ herbicide mixtures sprayed on plants, each at two different concentrations and a control. A significant (P < 0.001) colour change, which resembles complete mortality, was observed 8 weeks after treatment with the herbicide Solid Pretilachlor at high dose (2.5 ml/L). Root dry weight and efficacy rate of the herbicide (100 %) also supports this observation. As other herbicides does not report 100% efficacy, Solid Pretilachlor at 2.5 ml/L could be recommended as an alternative method to mechanical control of M. fluviatillis with minimum environment impact as the plant is currently spread only in water bodies which are small in size and are not interconnected.
- Csurhes S. and Hankamer C. (2016)., Invasive plant risk assessment: Bog moss Mayacafluviatilis Aubl., Department of Agriculture and Fisheries, Biosecurity Queensland, Australia. https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/¬_data/ assets/pdf_file/0008/54485/IPA-Bog-Moss-Risk-Assess-ment.pdf, Access 25.08.2016.
- Yakandawala K. and Dissanayake D.M.G.S. (2010)., Mayaca fluviatilis Aubl. : An ornamental aquatic with invasive potential in Sri Lanka., Hydrobiologia., 656(1), 199-204.
- Yakandawala D. and Yakandawala K. (2007)., Ornamental aquatics: Potential weeds in aquatic ecosystems., Proceedings of the 21st Asian Pacific Weed Science Society Conference (Eds. B. Marambe, U.R. Sangakkara, W.A.J.M. De Costa and A.S.K. Abeysekara), Sri Lanka, 2-6 October, 522-525.
- Yakandawala K., Debarawatta R.D.N., Yakandawala D.M.D and Abeynayake N.R. (2014)., Potential Invasive Aquatics: To prevent or to Cure?., Proceedings of the National Symposium on Invasive Alien Species (IAS 2014). Sri Lanka, 27 November, 60.
- European & Mediterranean Plant Protection Organization (2007)., No. 1, EPPO Reporting Service., Paris, 21.
- Hanlon S.G., Hoyer M.V., Cichra C.E. and Canfield D.E. (2000)., Evaluation of macrophyte control in 38 Florida lakes using triploid grass carp., J. Aquat. Plant Manag. 38, 48-54.
- Kay S.H. and Hoyle S.T. (2001)., Mail order, the Internet, and invasive aquatic weeds., J. Aquat. Plant Manag, 39, 88-91.
- Andreu J. and Vilà M. (2010)., Risk analysis of potential invasive plants in Spain., J. Nat. Conserv., 18, 34-44.
- Richardson R.J. (2008)., Aquatic Plant Management and The Impact of Emerging Herbicide Resistance Issues., Weed Technology, 22(1), 8-15.
- Helfrich L.A., Neves R.J., Libey G. and Newcomb T. (2009)., Control Methods for Aquatic Plants in Ponds and Lakes., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Publication, 420-251.
- Bowmer K.H., Jacobs S.W.L. and Sainty G.R. (1995)., Identification, Biology and Management of Elodea canadensis, Hydrochariteceae., Journal of aquatic Plant Management., 33, 13-19.
- Pennington T.G., Skogerboe J.G. and Getsinger K.D. (2001)., Herbicide/Copper Combinations for Improved Control of Hydrilla verticillata., J. Aquat. Plant Manage., 39, 56-58
- Madigan B.A. and Vitelli J.S. (2012)., Herbicide control of submerged bog moss (Mayaca fluviatilis Aubl.)., Eighteenth Australasian Weeds Conference, 30-33.
- Vidotto F., Ferrero A., Bertoia O., Gennari M. and Cignetti A. (2004)., Dissipation of pretilachlor in paddy water and sediment., Agronomie, EDP Sciences, 24(8), 473-479. DOI:10.1051/agro:2004043.
- CPP Manual Broacher (2010)., Bensulfuron methyl and Pretilachlor herbicide., DuPonthttp://www2.dupont.com/ Crop_Protection/en_IN/assets/downloads/Agriculture/Products_PDF/LondaxPower.pdf.