Chronic Effect of Pesticides on Collagen Content of Freshwater Bivalve, Parreysia Corrugata
- 1Department of Zoology, Fergusson College, Puneľ4, MS, India
- 2Department of Zoology, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad, MS, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 5, Issue (9), Pages 38-40, September,10 (2016)
Fresh water bivalves, Parreysia corrugata were exposed to Sublethal concentrations of quinalphos (0.108 ppm.) and thiodan (0.0708 ppm) for the duration of 15 and 30 days. Chronic exposure to pesticides altered the collagen content in various tissues of P. corrugata. It was found to be increased in gills, gonads and digestive glands of pesticide exposed P. corrugata. It was higher in gills followed by gonads and digestive glands. Probable causes of increase were discussed.
- Ramalingam K. and Ramalingam K. (1982)., Effect of sub lethal level of DDT, malathion and mercury on tissue protein of Sarotherodon mossambica., Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. (Ani. Sci.), 91(6), 501- 505.
- Parate S.K. and Kulkarni K.M. (2003)., Toxic influence on the total protein contents in the muscle and gill of the fresh water crab, Paratelphusa jacquimontii (Rathbun) exposed to cypermethrin., J. Aqua. Bio., 18(1), 111-113.
- Keshavan R., Kambale S.M. and Kulkarni A.N. (2005)., Impact of hildan on total protein content of fresh water crab, Barytelphusa guerini., J. Aqua. Bio., 20(1), 105-107.
- Singh R., Kumar Sudhil, Chauhan A.K.S. and Chandel B.S. (2006)., Sublethal effect of organophosphorous insecticide nuvan on the biochemical constituents in the ovary of fresh water fish, Channa punctatus (Bloch)., Proc. Zool., 300. 5(2), 17-28.
- Sastry K.V. and Sharma K. (1979)., Toxic effect of endrin on liver and kidney of the teleost fish., Proc. Symp. Environ. Biol., 337-342.
- Siv Prasad Rao K., Satya Prasad I., Madhu C. and Ramana Rao K.V. (1981)., Effect of methyl parathion on tissue proteins and excretory products of the snail, Pila globusa (Swanson)., Nat. Acad. Sci. Letters, 4(8), 337-340.
- Muley and Mane (1995)., Endosulfan toxicity to freshwater mussel, Lamellidens marginalis and pH induced changes- A Biochemical approach., In. J. of Comp. Animal Physiology, 13(1), 21-26.
- Lomte V.S. and Alam S. (1982)., Changes in the biochemical components of the prosobranch, Bellamia (Viviparous) bengalensis on exposure to malathion., Proc. Symp. Physiol. Resp. Ani. Pollutants, Marathwada University, Aurangabad, India.
- Rajashree S. and Puvandkrishan R. (1999)., Dexamethason- induced alteration in the levels of proteases involved in blood pressure homeostasis and blood coagulation in rats., Mol. Cell Biochem, 197-203.
- Mukherjee D. and Sen S. (1990)., Collagen phenotypes during development and regression myocardial hypertrophy in spontaneously hypertensive rats., Circ Res, 67, 1474-1480.
- Mayer F.L., Mehrle P.M. and Crutcher P.L. (1978)., Interactions of toxaphene and vitamin C in channel catfish., Trans. Am. Fish. Soc., 107, 326-333