Tiger Beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae: Cicindelinae) of Mainit Hotspring and Mati Protected Landscape, Mindanao with Notes on their Ecology and Threats
- 1College of Arts and Sciences, University of Mindanao, Davao City, Philippines
- 2Dresdener Ring 11, D-38444 Wolfsburg, Germany
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 5, Issue (9), Pages 16-21, September,10 (2016)
A rapid survey of tiger beetles was conducted in two protected landscapes of Region XI (Davao Region) namely MainitHotspring Protected Landscape (MHSPL) and Mati Protected Landscape (MPL) on June to July of 2016. Eight (8) species of tiger beetles were recorded in the two landscapes where six (6) species were recorded from MHSPL while four (4) species were recorded from MPL. A total of five (62.5%) endemic species were recorded of which 3 (60%) are Philippine endemic while 2 (40%) are endemic to Mindanao. Two species namely Heptodonta lumawigi and Cylindera (Eugrapha) excisa were first provincial records in Compostela Valley raising its tiger beetle fauna from twelve (12) to fourteen (14). Ecologic data was also presented for the species as well as the threats that they experience in both protected landscapes. This provides the baseline data of tiger beetles for both protected landscapes. Conservation should be conducted to the tiger beetles especially the rare and endemic ones in MHSPL and MPL. Strengthened implementation of protection in both protected landscapes against mining, illegal logging, slash and burn farming and human settlements should also be done.
- Fernando E., Co. L., Lagunzad, D., Gruezo, W., Barcelona, J., Madulid, D., LApiz, A., Texon, J., Manila, A. and Zamora (2008)., Threatened Plants of the Philippines: A Preliminary Assessment., The Asian International Journal of Life Sciences, 3, 1-52
- IUCN (2016)., The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, 2016-1., Retrieved on July 01, 2016 from, http://www.iucnre dlist.org.
- Conservation International (2016)., Conservation International Philippines. Eastern Mindanao Biodiversity Corridornd., Retrieved on July 18, 2016 from, http://www.conservation.org/global/philippines/where/min danao/Pages/eastern_mindanao_ corridor.aspx.
- Cardoso A. and Vogler A.P. (2005)., DNA taxonomy, phylogeny and Pleistocene diversification of the Cicindelahybrida species group (Coleoptera: Cicindelidae)., Molecular Ecology, 14, 3531-3546.
- Satoh A., Uéda T., Ichion E. and Hori M. (2006)., Distribution and habitat of three species of riparian tiger beetles in the Tedori river system of Japan., Environmental Entomology, 35(2), 320-325.
- Pearson D.L. and Cassola F. (2007)., Are we doomed to repeat history? A model of the past using tiger beetles (Coleoptera: Cicindelidae) and conservation biology to anticipate the future (Studies of Tiger Beetles, CXLV)., Beetle Conservation, 47-59.
- Trautner J and Schawaller W. (1996)., Larval morphology, biology and faunistics of Cicindelidae (Coleoptera) from Leyte, Philippines., Tropical Zoology, 9(1), 47-59.
- Cassola F. and Ward R.D. (2004)., Systematics and Zoogeography Of The Philippine Species Of The Genus ThopeuticaChaudoir, 1861., Annali del MuseoCivico di StoriaNaturale di Genova, 96, 1-32.
- Cassola F. (2000)., Studies on tiger beetles., CII. The Cicindelidae collected by Roland A. Müller in the Philippine Islands, with description of three new species (Coleoptera: Cicindelidae), ZoologischeMededelingen, Leiden, 73(33), 491-509.
- Wiesner J. (1980)., Beitrag zur Kenntnis der philippinischen Cicindelidae (Coleoptera)., Mitteilungen der Münchner Entomologischen Gesellschaft, 70, 119-127.
- Wiesner J. (1988)., Die Gattung Therates Latr. und ihre Arten. 15.Beitrag zur Kenntnis der Cicindelidae (Coleoptera)., Mitteilungen der Münchner Entomologischen Gesellschaft, 78, 5-107.
- Wiesner J. (1989)., Beiträge zur Kenntnis der philippinischen Cicindelidae (II) (Coleoptera). 22. Beitrag zur Kenntnis der Cicindelidae., Entomologische Zeitschrift, 99, 237-238.
- Wiesner J. (1992)., Eine neue Thopeutica von den Philippinen (Coleoptera: Cicindelidae). 26. Beitragzur Kenntnis der Cicindelidae., Entomologische Zeitschrift, 102, 128-130.
- Hoback W.W., Golick D.A., Svatos T.M., Spomer S.M. and Highley L.G. (2000)., Salinity and shade preferences result in ovipositional differences between sympatric tiger beetle species., Ecological Entomology, 25, 180-187.
- Jumawan K., Medina M.N. and Villanueva R.J. (2012)., Annotated List Of Odonata from Mainit Hot Spring Protected Landscape, CompostelaValley,Mindanao Island, Philippines., Philippine Journal of Systematic Biology, 6.
- Bhargav V.K. and Uniyal V.P. (2008)., Communal roosting of tiger beetles (Cicindelidae: Coleoptera) in the Shivalik Hills, Himachal Pradesh, India., Cicindela, 40(1-2), 1-12.
- Dangalle C., Pallewatta N. and Vogler A. (2011)., The current occurrence, habitat and historical change in the distribution range of an endemic Tiger Beetle species Cicindela (Ifasina) willeyi Horn (Coleoptera: Cicindelidae) of Sri Lanka., Journal of Threatened Taxa, 3(2), 1493-1505.
- Dangalle C., Pallewatta N. and Vogler A. (2014)., Distribution and habitat preferences of tiger beetles (Coleoptera:Cicindelidae) of the riverine ecosystems of Sri Lanka., Journal of Threatened Taxa, 6(9), 6195-6203.
- Morgan M., Knisley C.B. and Vogler A.P. (2000)., New taxonomic status of the endangered tiger beetle Cicindelalimbataalbissima (Coleoptera: Cicindelidae): evidence from mtDNA., Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 93(5), 1108-1115.
- Seago A.E., P. Brady, J.P. Vigneron and T.D. Schultz (2009)., Gold bugs and beyond: a review of iridescence and structural colour mechanisms in beetles (Coleoptera)., Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 6, 165-184.