Effect of Compost and NPK on Tobaccocrop at different research stations of Pakistan Tobacco Company
- 1University of South Asia, Lahore, Pakistan and Lahore Compost Pvt. Ltd, Punjab, Pakistan
- 2Lahore Compost Pvt. Ltd, Punjab, Pakistan
- 3University of South Asia, Lahore, Pakistan
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 5, Issue (8), Pages 69-71, August,10 (2016)
Tobacco crop has a wide commercial value. Different techniques have been used to improve the crop yield of tobacco. This study was designed by emphasis on the comparison of 100% NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium) with 30% compost and 70% NPK mixture used to grow tobacco. The compost used as soil conditioner. The results indicated that the best yields were obtained in the experimental trial which had compost and NPK. The nicotine percentage was below 2.5 and total sugar percentage was above 10 in all experimental trial.
- Gossett D. R., Millhollon E. P. and Lucas M. (1994)., Antioxidant response to NaCl stress in salt-tolerant and salt-sensitive cultivars of cotton., Crop Science, 34(3), 706-71.
- Gharib F. A., Moussa L. A. and Massoud O. N. (2008)., Effect of compost and bio-fertilizers on growth, yield and essential oil of sweet marjoram (Majoranahortensis) plant., Int. J. Agric. Biol, 10(4), 381-382.
- Trigiano R. N. and Gray D. J. (1999)., Plant tissue culture concepts and laboratory exercises., CRC press.
- Flowers T. J., Garcia A., Koyama M. and Yeo A. R. (1997)., Breeding for salt tolerance in crop plants—the role of molecular biology., Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, 19(4), 427-433.
- Chen J. H. (2006)., The combined use of chemical and organic fertilizers and/or biofertilizer for crop growth and soil fertility., International Workshop on Sustained Management of the soil-rhizosphere system for efficient crop production and fertilizer use, Land Development Department Bangkok, Thailand, 16, 20.
- Russell M. A. H., Wilson C., Patel U. A., Cole P. V. and Feyerabend C. (1973)., Comparison of effect on tobacco consumption and carbon monoxide absorption of changing to high and low nicotine cigarettes., Br Med J, 4(5891), 512-516.
- McClure W. F., Norris K. H. and Weeks W. W. (1977)., Rapid Spectrophotometric Analysis of the Chemical Composition of Tobacco: Part 1: Total Reducing Sugars., Beiträgezur Tabakforschung / Contributions to Tobacco Research, 9(1), 13-18.
- Dawson R. F. (1942)., Nicotine synthesis in excised tobacco roots., American Journal of Botany, 813-815.
- Pianezza M. L., Sellers E. M. and Tyndale R. F. (1998)., Nicotine metabolism defect reduces smoking., Nature, 393(6687), 750-750, 1.
- Baldwin I. T. (1988)., Short-term damage-induced increases in tobacco alkaloids protect plants., Oecologia, 75(3), 367-370.