Antibacterial effects of Averrhoa Bilimbi L. Fruit Extracts
- 1Department of Botany, Catholicate College, Pathanamthitta, 689 645, Kerala, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 5, Issue (8), Pages 72-74, August,10 (2016)
A. bilimbi methanol, chloroform and petroleum ether fruit extracts were tetsed against selected panel of bacteria. Different concentrations of the extract (50mg, 100mg, and 150mg) in each solvent were loaded on 0.4mm sterile discs. The tested gram positive bacteria were more sensitive to the extract when compared to the gram negative bacteria tested. It is well evident that A. bilimbi fruit extract showed applaudable inhibitory activity against the tested pathogens. Further research in this direction is recommended.
- Kumar A.K., Gousia S.K., Anupama M. and Latha J.N.L. (2013)., A review on phytochemical constituents and biological assays of Averrhoa bilimbi., International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science Research, 3(4), 136-139.
- Bhaskar B. and Shantaram. M. (2013)., Morphological and biochemical characteristics of Averrhoa fruits., International Journal of Pharmaceutical, Chemical and Biological Sciences, 3(3), 924-928.
- Anitha R., Geetha R.V., Lakshmi T. (2011)., Averrhoa bilimbi Linn - Nature’s Drug Store - A Pharmacological Review., International Journal of Drug Development & Research, 3(3), 101-106.
- Harborne J.B. (1998)., Phytochemical Methods - A guide to Modern Techniques of Plant Analysis., 3rd edn, Springer.
- Bauer A.W., Kirby W.M.M., Sheriss J.C. and Turck M. (1996)., Antibiotic susceptibility testing by standardized single disk method., Am. J. Clin. Path, 45, 493-496.
- Samuelsson G. (2004)., Drugs of natural origin: A textbook of pharmacognosy., 5th Swedish Pharmaceutical Press, Stockholm.
- Misra L. (2013)., A review on traditional phytomedicinal systems, scientific validations and current popularity as nutraceuticals., International Journal of Traditional and Natural Medicines, 2(1), 27‐75.
- Siddique K.I., Uddin M.M.N., Islam M.S., Parvin S. and Shahriar. M. (2013)., Phytochemical screenings, thrombolytic activity and antimicrobial properties of the bark extracts of Averrhoa bilimbi., J. App. Pharm. Sci 3(03), 094-096.
- Huda N., Wahab A., Wahid M.E.B.A., Taib M.B., Zain W.Z.W.M. and Anwar S.A.B. (2009)., Phytochemical screening and antimicrobial efficacy of extracts from Averrhoa bilimbi (Oxalidaceace) fruits against human pathogenic bacteria., Phcog J. [A Supplement to Phcog Mag.], 1(1), 64-66.
- Yan S.W., Ramasamy R., Alitheen N.B.M. and Rahmat A A. (2013)., Comparative assessment of nutritional composition, total phenolic, total flavonoid, antioxidant capacity, and antioxidant vitamins of two types of Malaysian underutilized fruits (Averrhoa bilimbi and Averrhoa carambola)., Int. J. Food Prop, 16, 1231-1244.
- Alisha V. and Raphael R. K. (2016)., Pharmacognostic profile of Averrhoa bilimbi Linn. Leaves., South Indian Journal of Biological Sciences, 2(1), 75‐80.