Seedling Characteristics of Some Invasive Alien Species of Asteraceae from West Bengal, India
- 1Department of Botany, Rishi Bankim Chandra College, Naihati, 24 Parganas (N), West Bengal-743165, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 5, Issue (11), Pages 17-20, November,10 (2016)
In the present communication, seedling specific identification details of five alien invasive species of Asteraceae from West Bengal, India have been provided. The seedlings of the investigated species revealed some interesting characters as to the shape and surface of cotyledons; phyllotaxy, shape of first two leaves and subsequent leaves; surface and length of hypocotyl and internodes, etc. that can be used to distinguish them at their juvenile stage. The identification of seedlings of these alien species will help in eradicating them from the ecosystem at an early stage to minimize environmental damage and economic loss.
- Gomez-Campo C. and Tortosa M.E. (1974)., The taxonomic and evolutionary significance of some juvenile characters in the Brassicaceae., Bot. J. Linn. Soc., 69(2), 105-124.
- Sampathkumar R. (1982)., Studies on the cotyledonary leaves of some Convolvulaceae., Taxon, 31(1), 56-58.
- Mukhopadhyay S. and Paria N. (1994)., Seedling morphology of some Indian Padaliaceae (s.l.) as an aid to taxonomy., J. Nation. Bot. Soc., 47(1-2), 71-77.
- Hwang R. and Conran J.G. (2000)., Seedling characteristics in the Casuarinaceae., Telopea, 8(4), 429-439.
- Ahammed J. and Paria N. (1996)., Systematic value of seedling morphology in some Indian Asteraceae., Acta Botanica Indica, 24, 49-55.
- Singh A.K. and Singh S. (2009)., Seedling morphology in taxonomic study of two common weeds - Ageratum conyzoides L. and A. houstonianum Mill. (Asteraceae)., Indian J. Forestry, 32(2), 227-230.
- Prain D. (1903)., Bengal Plants., 1, Botanical Survey of India, Calcutta, 580-630.
- Botanical Survey of India (1997)., Flora of West Bengal., 1, Botanical Survey of India, Kolkata, 1-486.
- Reddy C.S. (2008)., Catalogue of Invasive Alien Flora of India., Life Science Jour., 5(2), 84-89.
- Burger H.D. (1972)., Seedlings of some tropical trees and shrubs, mainly of South-East Asia., Centre for Agricultural Publishing and Documentation (PUDOC), Wageningen, 1-39, ISBN: 9022004163.
- Dilcher D.L. (1974)., Approaches to the identification of angiosperm leaf remains., Bot. Rev., 40, 1-157.
- Bokdam J. (1977)., Seedling morphology of some African Sapotaceae and its taxonomical significance., Meded. Landbouwhogeschool, 77(20), 1¬-84.
- Vogel E.F. de (1980)., Seedling of Dicotyledons: Structure, development, types; Description of 150 woody Malesian taxa., Centre for Agricultural Publishing and Documentation (PUDOC), Wageningen, 1-465, ISBN: 9022006964.
- Mundhra A. and Paria N.D. (2009)., Epigeal cryptocotyly in Madhuca indica J.F. Gmel. (Sapotaceae)., International J. Bot., 5(2), 200-202.
- Garwood N.C. et. al. (2009)., Seedlings of Barro Colorado Island and the Neotropics., Cornell University Press, Ithaca, 1-656, ISBN: 978-0-8014-4753-2.