Antimicrobial activity of Neem, Clove, Curry leaves, Cardamom, Tulsi stem and Tulsi leaves
- 1Department of Biotechnology, Govt. Holkar Science College, Indore, MP, INDIA
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 5, Issue (1), Pages 42-46, January,10 (2016)
Antimicrobial activity refers to the ability of a substance to reduce or inhibit the growth of microorganisms. Different substances have different extent of antimicrobial activity. The present study deals with the antimicrobial activity of different samples like neem, clove, curry leaves, cardamom, tulsi stem and tulsi leaves. The antimicrobial activity of these samples has been determined against Escherichia coli and Aspergillus and Rhizopus species of fungi. In this work, the Escherichia coli was cultured on nutrient agar plates and fungi was cultured on Potato Dextrose Agar plates. The aqueous and ethanolic extracts of samples were prepared and introduced in these culture plates by ditch method and disc method. The zone of inhibition was observed and measured in each case after incubation of 24 and 48 hours.
- Anshul Shah, Maithivee Jaini, Harsh Shah, NisargChaudhary and Anuja Shah (2014)., Antimicrobial effectof clove oil (laung) extract on Enterococcus faecalis., Journal of advanced oral research, 5(3).
- I.P.S Kapoor (2009)., Essential oil and oleoresins ofcardamom (Amomomum Subulatum Roxb) as a naturalfood preservatives for sweet orange (Citrus sinensis)juice, Journal of food process engineering.,
- Mini priya rajendran (2014)., Blessed beautlin Pallaiyanand Nija Selvaraj, Chemical composition, antibacterialand antioxidant profile of essential oils from Murrayakoenigii (L) leaves., Avicenna journal of phytomedicine,Masshad University of medical science.
- Prashanth G.K. and Krishaiah G.H. (2014)., Chemicalcomposition of leaves Azadirachta indica Linn (neem)., International journal of advancement in engineeringtechnology, Management and applied Science, 1.
- Warrier P K (1995)., Indian medicinal plants. OrientLongman.,
- Sadashiva M.P. (2004)., Synthesis and microbialinhibition study of novel 5-imidazolyl sustitutedisoaxazolidins., Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry.
- Isha Jain, Pankaj Jain, Dakshita Bisht, Alosha sharma,Binita Srivastava and Nidhi Gupta (2015)., Comparativeevaluation of antibacterial efficacy of six Indian plantextracts against Streptococcus mutans., Journal of clinicaland diagnostic research, 9(2), 50-51.
- Kaoutar Bayoub, Tarik Baibai, Driss Mountassif,Abdaelziz Retmane and Abdelaziz Soukri (2010)., Antibacterial activites of the crude ethanol extracts ofmedicinal plants against Listeria Monocytogenes andsome other pathogenic strains., African journal ofbiotechnology, 9(27), 4252.
- Zuhaib Fayaz Bhat (2011), Effect of skin, enrobing andrefrigerated storage on the quality characteristics ofchicken meat balls, , Journal of food science andtechnology.
- Sana Mukhtar and Irfa Ghori (2010)., Antibacterialactivity of aqueous and ethanolic extracts of garlic,cinnamon and turmeric against Escherichia coli ATCC25922 and Bacillus subtilus DSM 3256., Internationaljournal of applied biology and pharmaceuticaltechnology, 3.