Analogous studies on composition, morphology and density of natural and artificial soil in forensic application
- 1Physics Section, State Forensic Science Laboratory, Bengaluru, Karanataka, India
- 2Physics Section, State Forensic Science Laboratory, Bengaluru, Karanataka, India
- 3Physics Section, State Forensic Science Laboratory, Bengaluru, Karanataka, India
- 4Physics Section, State Forensic Science Laboratory, Bengaluru, Karanataka, India
- 5Physics Section, State Forensic Science Laboratory, Bengaluru, Karanataka, India
Res. J. Forensic Sci., Volume 8, Issue (2), Pages 20-24, July,29 (2020)
Artificial soil (AS) was widely used today for the construction, but it requires more research activities for the identification and comparison of natural soil (NS) and artificial soil in forensic application. Present article reports the morphological information of the AS and NS sample using digital stereomicroscope. The elemental profiling of the NS and AS sample was carried out using portable XRF analyzer. Further the density of the NS and AS is compared and analyzed by density gradient method. The morphology, elemental profiling and density method was analyzed to compare and identify the NS and AS sample in sand trafficking.
- Lorna A. Dawson, and Stephen Hillier (2010)., Measurement of soil characteristics for forensic applications., Surface and Interface Analysis, 42(1), 363-377. DOI 10.1002/sia.3315.
- Rob W Fitzpatrick (2013)., Soil: Forensic Analysis., In Wiley Encyclopedia of Forensic Science, 1-12, DOI: 10.1002/9780470061589.fsa096.pub2
- Chisum, W. and Turvey, B. (2000)., Evidence dynamics: Locard’s exchange principle and crime reconstruction., Journal of Behavioral Profiling, 1(1), 1–15.
- Ruffell, A., and McKinley, J. (2005)., Forensic Geoscience: applications of geology, geomorphology and geophysics to criminal investigations., Earth-Science Reviews, 69(3-4), 235-247, https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.earscirev.2004.08.002
- Toky Siddiquee (2020)., What is sand Composition, Color and Types of Sand., https://civiltoday.com/civil-engineering-materials/sand/233-sand-composition-types, 01.01.2020.
- Quiroga PN and Fowler DW (2004)., The effects of aggregate characteristics on the performance of portland cement concrete., International Center for Aggregates Research, University of Texas at Austin, pp 1-358 ICAR 104-1F.
- J.P. Goncalves, L.M. Tavares, R.D. Toledo, E.M.R. Fairbairn and E.R. Cunha (2007)., Comparison of natural and manufactured fine aggregates in cement., Cement and Concrete Research, 1(37), 924-932
- Yang Zhenguo, Shen Weiguo and Shen Weiguo et al., (2013)., Characteristics of limestone manufactured sand., International Conference on Material Science and Environmental Engineering, 1-5, doi: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/277327895
- Weiguo Shen, Zhenguo Yang, Lianghong Cao, Liu Cao, Yi Liu, Hui Yang, Zili Lu and Jian Bai (2016)., Characterization of manufactured sand: Particle shape, surface texture and behavior in concrete., Construction and Building Materials, 114(1), 595–601.
- Marcello Pagliai and Nadia Vignozzi (2002)., Image Analysis and Microscopic Techniques to Characterize Soil Pore System., Physical Methods in Agriculture, 13-38, ISBN-978-1-4615-0085-8.
- P Bullock and C P Murphy (1976)., The microscopic examination of the structure of sub-surface horizons of soils., Outlook on Agriculture, 8(6), 348-354. https://doi.org/10.1177/003072707600800607
- Virendra Singh and H.M. Agrawal (2012)., EDXRF Analysis of Soil Samples to Study the Role of Trace Elements in Optimizing the Yield., International Journal of Modern Engineering Research, 2(4), 1454-1458.
- Isaac E., Maitera O. N., Donatus R. B., Riki Y. E., Yerima E. A., Tadzabia K. and Joseph B. (2019)., Energy dispersive X-Ray fluorescence determination of minor and major elements in soils of Mambilla Plateau Northeastern Nigeria., Journal of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, 11(2), 22-28. DOI:10.5897/JECE2018.0442
- Antoaneta ene, Alina Boşneagă and L. Georgescu (2010)., Determination of Heavy Metals in Soils Using XRF Technique., International Balkan Workshop on Applied Physics, 55(7), 815–820.
- K. Chaperlin and P.S. Howarth (1983)., Soil Comparison by The Density Gradient Method –A, Review and Evaluation., Forensic Science International, Elsevier Scientific Publishers Ireland Ltd., 23, 161-177.
- Petraco, N. and Kubic, T., (2002)., A Density Gradient Technique for Use in Forensic Soil Analysis., Journal of Forensic Sciences, 45(4), 872-873.
- Johll Matthew E (2006)., Investigating Chemistry: A Forensic Science Perspective., Clancy Marshall Acquisitions Editor, ISBN-13: 978-1429209892