Comparison of aging perception among the elderly population of Vadodara and Ahmedabad City, Gujarat, India
- 1Department of Family and Community Resource Management, Faculty of Family and Community Sciences, The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Vadodara, Vadodara, Gujarat, India
Res. J. Family, Community and Consumer Sci., Volume 5, Issue (2), Pages 1-7, February,27 (2017)
Aging is considered as accretion of changes among the living organisms over a period of time. Aging in humans refers to a multidimensional process of physical, psychological, and social change. Some dimensions of aging grow and expand over time, while others decline, therefore aging perception becomes more important. Hence, the study was conducted to find out the aging perception among elderly population of Vadodara and Ahmedabad city. The data were gathered through a questionnaire from a sample of 200 elderly (100 from Vadodara city and 100 from Ahmedabad city) through convenience sampling technique. The analysis of data revealed that the respondents of Vadodara city had positive perception regarding aging while negative perception regarding aging were found among the respondents of Ahmedabad city.
- Tibbitts C. and Donahue W. (1960)., Aging in today’s Society., New York: Prentice Hall.
- Timiras P.S. (1972)., Developmental Physiology and Aging., New York, Macmillan Company.
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (2011)., Government of India, National policy on Older Persons., Cited in: http://www.socialjustice.nic.in. Accessed June (2011)
- Rajan S.I. (2006)., Population Aging and Health in India., entre for Enquiry into Health and Allied Themes, Cited in: http://www.cehet.org/humanrigths/rajan.pdf. Accessed July (2011)
- Pitt B. (1982)., Psycho Geriatrics, An Introduction to the Psychiatry of Old Age., Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 126.
- Chaudhary N. (2015)., Storage Design for the People in Third Age: An Ergonomic Approach., Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, submitted to Faculty of Family and Community Science, M.S. University of Vadodara, Vadodara.
- Neuhaus Ruby Hart and Neuhaus Robert H (1982)., Successful Aging., Housing, Living Arrangement and Services for Older People, New York, John Wiley, 161-163.
- Andes G.G. (2004)., Supportive Design Features in Kitchens and Bathrooms of Age-Restricted Requirement Community Homes., Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Submitted to Virginia Polytechnic Instituted and State University, Virginia, 219.
- Bhatia S. (2008)., Technology Integration in Old Age Homes in India - A Status paper., Indian Institute for Continuing Education Delhi.
- Parikh V. and Pandya R. (2012)., Elderly Health Problems: Issues and Solution, from A. Aging in Twenty-first Century., Joshi, U., Pandya, R. and Maniar, 1(14), 144-157.
- Tikoo S. and Gupta J. (2012)., Aging: Problems and Solutions, from A. Aging in Twenty-first Century., Joshi, U., Pandya, R. and Maniar, 1(3), 25-37.
- Kalekar S. (2012)., Psychological Problems in Old Age., https://googleweblight.com/?light_url=https://sailejakalekar.wordpress.com/2012/07/20/psychological-problems-in-old-age/&ei=KeYS5Adz&Ic=en-IN&s=1&m=634&host= www.google.co.in&ts=1469557765&sig=AKOVD676-Ttym8XyVKi3mPkBy3iLOMVmUQ,(2012), Accessed on July (2016)
- Sing R., Sing B., Lall B.S. and Jain V. (2013)., Psychological Problems: An Issue among the Elderly in Kathmandu, Nepal., International Journal of Health Science and Research (IJHSR), 3(6), 48-53.
- Levy B., Slade M., Kunkel S. and Kasl S. (2002)., Longitudinal Benefit of Positive Self-Perceptions of Aging on Functional Health., Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 57(5), 409-17.
- Levy B.R., Slade M.D., Kunkel S.R. and Kasl S.V. (2002)., Longevity Increased by Positive Self-Perceptions of Aging., Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 83(2), 261-270.
- Levy B.R. and Myers L.M. (2005)., Relationship Between Respiratory Mortality and Self-Perceptions of Aging., Journal of Psychology & Health, 20(5), 553-564.
- Efklides A., Kalaitzidou M. and Chankin G. (2003)., Subjective Quality of Life in Old Age in Greece: The effect of Demographic Factors, Emotional State and Adaptation to Aging., Journal of European Psychologist, 8(3), 178-191.
- Steverink N., Westerhof G.J., Bode C. and Dittmann-Kohli F. (2001)., The personal Experience of Aging, Individual Resources, and Subjective Well-being., Journals of Gerontology: Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 56(6), 364-373.
- Beyene Y., Becker G. and Mayen N. (2002)., Perceptions of Aging and Sense of Well-being Among Latino Elderly., Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology, 17(2),155-172.
- Gattuso S. (2001)., Healthy and Wise: Promoting Mental Health in Australian Rural Elders., Journal of Mental Health and Aging, 7(4), 425-434.
- Levy B.R. and Myers L.M. (2004)., Preventive Health Behaviors Influenced by Self-perceptions of Aging., Preventive Medicine: An International Journal Devoted to Practice and Theory, 39(3), 625-629.
- Prohaska T.R., Keller M.L., Leventhal E.A. and Leventhal H. (1987)., Impact of symptoms and Aging Attribution on Emotions and Coping., Journal of Health Psychology, 6(6), 495-514.
- Ory M., Hoffman M.K., Hawkins M., Sanner B. and Mockenhaupt R. (2003)., Challenging Aging Stereotypes: Strategies for Creating a More Active Society., American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 25(3), 164-171.