Internet Addiction and Sleeping Quality among College Students in West Turkey
- 1Medical Faculty Public Health Department, Eskisehir Osmangazi University, Turkey
- 2Medical Faculty Public Health Department, İzmir Katip Celebi University, Turkey
- 3Medical Faculty Public Health Department, Eskisehir Osmangazi University, Turkey
- 4Medical Faculty Public Health Department, Eskisehir Osmangazi University, Turkey
- 5Medical Faculty Public Health Department, Eskisehir Osmangazi University, Turkey
- 6Medical Faculty Public Health Department, Eskisehir Osmangazi University, Turkey
- 7Medical Faculty Public Health Department, Eskisehir Osmangazi University, Turkey
- 8Medical Faculty Public Health Department, Eskisehir Osmangazi University, Turkey
Res. J.Educational Sci., Volume 4, Issue (7), Pages 1-8, August,1 (2016)
The aim of this study was to determine internet addiction level, it’s related some factors and sleeping quality. This cross-sectional study was made among 508 students. A questionnaire form was filled by students under observed. Determination of internet addiction was used by Young Internet Addiction Scale (IAS). Determination of sleeping quality was used by Pittsburgh Sleeping Quality Index (PSQI). In statistical analyses, Mann-Whitney U test, Kruskal-Wallis test and Spearman Correlation Analysis were used. p<0.05 values were accepted as significance. The average score was 30.00±15.99 (min: 0; max: 89) from IAS. The high level of internet addiction was higher in male, high family income, A type character, over-weight/obese, his/ her mother with have a job, have computer at home, have computer own, have internet communication at computer/phone/ home out, first using computer age in 6 years old, everyday using internet user than the others (for each one; p<0.05). There are positive correlation between the scores of IAS and the scores of PSQI. Internet addiction is an important problem in the college students in this study group. This study, positive correlation was found between Internet addiction and poor quality of sleep.
- Hong Kong Internet Project. (2016)., Internet use in Hong Kong: the 2008 annual survey report., Web Mining Lab, Department of Media & Communication, City University of Hong Kong. http://newmedia.cityu.edu.hk/hkip/HKIP 2008en.pdf (Available: 13.06.2016).
- Yajun Li, Xinghui Zhang., Furong Lu., Qin Zhang. and Yun Wang.(2014)., Internet Addiction Among Elementary and Middle School Students in China: A Nationally Representative Sample Study., Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw., 17(2), 111-116.
- Xianhua Wu., Xinguang Chen., Juan Han., Heng Meng., Jianghong Luo. and Liesl Nydegger et al. (2013)., Prevalence and Factors of Addictive Internet Use among Adolescents in Wuhan, China: Interactions of Parental Relationship with Age and Hyperactivity-Impulsivity., PLoS One., 8(4), 61782.
- Bayraktutan F. (2015)., Internet usage in terms of family relationships., (Unpublished master
- Bolukbas K. (2003)., Sociological research on internet cafes and internet addiction: Diyarbakir instance., (Unpublished master
- Beard K.W. and Wolf E.M. (2001)., Modification in the proposed diagnostic criteria for Internet addiction., Cyber Psychology & Behavior., 4(3), 377-383.
- Caplan S.E. (2002)., Problematic Internet use and psychosocial well-being: Development of a theory-based cognitive behavioral measurement instrument., Computers in Human Behavior., 18, 553-575.
- Leung L. (2014)., Predicting Internet risks: a longitudinal panel study of gratifications- sought, Internet addiction symptoms, and social media use among children and adolescents., Health Psychol Behav Med., 2(1), 424-439.
- Erdur-Baker O. (2010)., Cyberbullying and its correlation to traditional bullying, gender and frequent and risky usage of internet-mediated communication tools., New Media & Society., 12(1), 109-125.
- Kim K., Ryu E., Chon M.Y., Yeun E.J., Choi S.Y. and Seo J.S., et al. (2006)., Internet addiction in Korean adolescents and its relation to depression and suicidal ideation: a questionnaire survey., Int J Nurs Stud., 43, 185-192.
- Thomee S., Harenstam A. and Hagberg M. (2012)., Computer use and stress, sleep disturbances, and symptoms of depression among young adults - a prospective cohort study., BMC Psychiatry.,12, 176.
- Park S. (2014)., Associations of physical activity with sleep satisfaction, perceived stress, and problematic Internet use in Korean adolescents., BMC Public Health.,14, 1143.
- Young K.S. (2016)., Internet Addiction: symptoms, evaluation and treatment., http://netaddiction.com/articles/ symptoms.pdf (Available: 12.06.2016).
- Bayraktar F. (2001)., The Role of internet use in the development of adolescent., (Unpublished Master Thesis). Ege University, Enstitute of Social Science, Department of Psychology, Izmir. Turkey.
- Buysse D.J., Reynolds C.F., Monk T.H., Berman S.R. and Kupfer D.J. (1989)., The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research., Psychiatry Res., 28(2), 193-213.
- Agargun M., Kara H. and Anlar O. (1996)., The Validity and reliability of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index in a Turkish sample., Turkish Journal of Psychiatry., 7(2), 107-115.
- Rücker J., Akre C., Berchtold A. and Suris J.C. (2015)., Problematic Internet use is associated with substance use in young adolescents., Acta Paediatr., 104(5), 504-507.
- Mak K.K., Lai C.M., Watanabe H., Kim D.I., Bahar N. and Ramos M., et al. (2014)., Epidemiology of internet behaviors and addiction among adolescents in six Asian countries., Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw., 17(11), 720-728.
- Yılmaz E., Şahin Y.L., Haseski H.İ. and Erol O. (2014)., High School Students, Journal of Educational Sciences Research., 4(1), 133-144.
- Ak S., Koruklu N. and Yılmaz Y. (2013)., A study on Turkish adolescent, Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw., 16(3), 205-209.
- Beutel, M.E., Brähler, E., Glaesmer, H., Kuss, D.J., Wölfling, K., Müller, K.W. (2011). Regular and problematic leisure-time Internet use in the community: results from a German population-based survey. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw., 14(5), 291-296.
- Li M., Deng Y., Ren Y., Guo S. and He X. (2014)., Obesity status of middle school students in Xiangtan and its relationship with Internet addiction., Obesity (Silver Spring)., 22(2), 482-487.
- Tsitsika A., Janikian M., Schoenmakers T.M., Tzavela E.C., Olafsson K. and Wójcik S., et al. (2014)., Internet addictive behavior in adolescence: a cross-sectional study in seven European countries., Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw., 17(8), 528-535.
- Punamaki R.L., Wallenius M., Nygard C.H., Saarni L. and Rimpela A. (2007)., Use of information and communication technology (ICT) and perceived health in adolescence: The role of sleeping habits and waking-time tiredness., J Adolesc., 30, 569-585.