Integrated 2d seismic interpretation of Missa Keswal area and petrophysical analysis of Missa Keswal well 03 in Potwar sub-basin, Gujar Khan, Punjab Province, Pakistan
- 1Center of Excellence in Mineralogy, University of Baluchistan, Quetta, Pakistan
- 2Department of Geology, University of Baluchistan, Quetta, Pakistan
- 3Institute of Geology, University of Azad Jammu and Kashmir, Muzaffarabad, Pakistan
Int. Res. J. Earth Sci., Volume 7, Issue (2), Pages 27-38, May,25 (2019)
The 2D seismic and Petrophysical data were integrated to define the subsurface structural alignments and reservoir assets of Missa Keswal well-03. The research study was undertaken using the seismic lines, 994-GJN-09 and 994-GNA-12of Missa Keswal well-03. A synthetic seismogram was articulated to relay seismic and well data from a seismic section. The seismic to well tie has further ensured the fidelity of seismic maps. The 2D Seismic was utilized in horizons mapping and faults identification. The two horizons were figured out on time domain and later on depth domain by changing time grid to a depth function with the help of interval velocity. The seismic interpretations has discovered an anticlinal structure with both limbs dislocated by the two detachment faults headed towards each other from east to west in response to the compressional stresses in the area. The thickness of two horizons, the Chorgali and Sakesar Limestone Formations was gauged from the perceptible depth intervals at 1870 m to 1983 m in the well using Petrophysical interpretations beside the determination of environment of deposition, effective porosity, saturated contents of hydrocarbon and extent of pay zone. Study has revealed variable environments of deposition ranging from fluvial to marine for both Chorgali and Sakesar Limestone Formations. A high porosity, permeability and hydrocarbon saturation was encountered in the well. The pay zone was much thick in Sakesar Limestone Formation than Chorgali Formation. The 2d seismic data and Petrophysical parameters indicate that the Sakesar Limestone Formation can act as a reservoir.
- Ahmad K.S. (1969)., Oxford school atlas for Pakistan: Karachi., Oxford University Press, 57 str.
- Kazmi A.H. and Jan M.Q. (1997)., Geology and Tectonic of Pakistan., Graphic publishers, Karachi, Pakistan, 94-139. ISBN 969-8375-00-7.
- Shah S.M.I. (2009)., Stratigraphy of Pakistan., Geological Survey of Pakistan, Memoirs, 22, 1-381.
- Elahi M.K. and Martin N.R. (1961)., The physiography of the Potwar, West Pakistan., Geol. B. Pun. Uni., 1, 5-14.
- Baker D.M., Lillie R.J., Yeats R.S., Johnson G.D., Yousuf M. and Zamin A.S.H. (1988)., Development of Himalayan frontal thrust zone, Salt range, Pakistan., Geol. Soc. Am., 16(1), 3-7. https://doi.org/10.1130/0091-7613(1988)016<0003:DOTHFT>2.3.CO;2
- Gee E.R. and Gee D.G. (1989)., Overview of the geology and structure of the Salt Range, with observations on related areas of northern Pakistan., Geological Society of America Special Papers, 232, 95-112. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1130/SPE
- Kadri I.B. (1995)., Petroleum Geology of Pakistan: Pakistan Petroleum Limited., Ferozsons. Private Limited, 36-177.
- Kemal A., Zaman A.S.H. and Humayon M. (1991)., New directions and strategies for accelerating petroleum exploration and production in Pakistan., In Proceedings, International Petroleum Seminar, 22th-24th, Nov., 76-105.
- Schlumberger (1974)., Log Interpretation Principles., Schlumberger Education Services, Houston, Texas, 230.
- Thomas E.C. and Stieber S.J. (1975)., The distribution of shale in sandstones and its effect upon porosity., In SPWLA 16th annual logging symposium. Society of Petrophysicists and Well-Log Analysts.
- Wyllie M.R.J., Gregory A.R. and Gardner G.H.F. (1958)., An experimental investigation of factors affecting elastic wave velocities in porous media., Geophysics, 23(3), 459-493. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.1438493.
- Hilchie D.W. (1978)., Applied Open hole Log Interpretation., In: D. W. Hilchie, Golden Colorado, 350.
- Archie G.E. (1942)., The Electrical Resistivity Log as an Aid in Determining Some Reservoir Characteristics., Trans. AIME., 146(1), 54-62.
- Moghal M.A., Hameed A., Saqi M.I. and Bugti M.N. (2007)., Subsurface geometry of Potwar sub-basin in relation to structuration and entrapment., Pak. J. Hydroc. Res., 17, 61-72.
- Khan M.A. and Raza H.A. (1986)., The role of Geothermal Gradient in Hydrocarbon exploration in Pakistan., J. Pet. Geol., 9(3), 245-258.
- Emery D. and Myers K.J. (1996)., Sequence Stratigraphy., Oxford, Blackwell, 297. Print ISBN: 9780632037063; Online ISBN:9781444313710 doi.org/10.1002/ 9781444313710.
- Weber K.J. and Daukoru E.M. (1975)., Petroleum geology of the Niger Delta," in Proceedings of the Ninth World Petroleum Congress., Geol, Apl. Sci. Pub. Ltd., 2, 210-221.