Morphological Analysis of a Historical Urban Landscape: The Case of Midnapore, an Early Urban Centre of Eastern India
- 1Geography and Environment Management Department, Vidyasagar University, Midnapore, West Bengal, India
- 2Department of Geography, Presidency University, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
- 3Geography and Environment Management Department, Vidyasagar University, Midnapore, West Bengal, India
Int. Res. J. Earth Sci., Volume 4, Issue (12), Pages 28-37, December,25 (2016)
In Urban geography, the study of the pattern and morphology of building in urban centres concerted with land use categories, has a cherished legacy which started with formulating mode of the plan that underlies the expression of spatial heterogeneity in housing, commercial activities and industrial activities carried out in an urban system. The present treatise is a humble attempt to analyze the morphological components of Midnapore urban centre, Eastern India. It seeks to explain this urban landscape of historical importance as a post-modern space where built heritage and innovation design of space have become the competitive facets of the urban centre in terms of metamorphosis of urban structure under the influence of processes like urban redevelopment, gentrification, sprawling and intra-urban competition in economic and social context etc. In arriving at the above object, intensive survey has been conducted taking homogeneous building block as the basic unit of study. Building blocks separated by arterial roads were identified from the high resolution satellite images downloaded from open source. Information for each of such building blocks was collected and recorded using pre-designed field manual and questionnaires. Thus a model of urban morphology has been formulated.
- Larkham P.J. (1987)., Urban Morphology in Poland., Urban Morphology Newsletter, 1, 3-4.
- MRG Conzen (1981)., The Morphology of Towns in Britain during the Industrial Era., in J.W.R. Whitehand, ed., The Urban Landscape: Historical Development and Management, Papers by M.R.G. Conzen Institute of British Geographers, Special Publication no. 13, London, Academic Press.
- Whitehand J.W.R. (1981)., The Urban Landscape: Historical Development and Management., Papers by M.R.G. Conzen Institute of British Geographers, Special Publication no. 13, London, Academic Press.
- Moudon A.V. (1992)., A Catholic Approach to organizing what Urban Designers should know., Journals of Planning Literature, 6(4), 331-349.
- Lane A. (1991)., Urban Morphology of China., Urban Design International, 6(3), 125-142.
- Conzen M.P.G. (1978)., Analytical Approaches to the urban Landscape., in K.W. Butzer, ed., Dimensions of Human Geography: Essay in Some Familiar and Neglected Themes, Research Paper no. 186, Department of Geography, University of Chicago.
- Murphy Raymond Edward (1966)., The American city: an urban geography., New York, McGraw Hill. ISBN-10: 0070440638, ISBN-13: 978-0070440630
- O’Malley, Lewis Sydney Stewart (1911)., Bengal district gazetteers Midnapore, Salt Lake City, Calcutta., The Bengal Secretariat Book depot. ISBN: 978-8172682446
- Basham, Arthur Llewellyn (1975)., A cultural history of India., Jai Singh Road, New Delhi, Oxford University Press. ISBN: 978-0195639216
- Hunter, William Wilson (1876)., A statistical account of bengal., London, UK, Trubner & Co..
- Davies W.K.D. (1968)., The Morphology of Central Places: A case study., Annals, Association of American Geographers, 58(2), 91-110.
- Roy Tirthankar (2006)., The economic history of India, 1857-1947., Transition to colonialism, Jai Sing Road, New Delhi, Oxford University Press, 31-72. ISBN: 019568430-3
- Roy Tirthankar (2006)., The Economic History of India 1857 – 1947., 2nd edition, Oxford University Press, YMCA Library Building, Jai Singh Road, New Delhi 110 001. ISBN: 978-019568430-8
- Majumdar Ramesh Chandra (1971)., History of ancient Bengal., 22A College Row, Calcutta, G. Bharadwaj & Co.
- Basu Jogesh Basu (1921)., Medinipurer itihas., 36A College Row, Kolkata: Annapurna Prakashani.
- Verma Laxminarayan (2008)., Urban geography., New Delhi, India, Rawat. ISBN10: 8131600416, ISBN13: 978-8131600412
- Das Harisadhan (2001)., Midnapore o swadhinata: Bhowgolic o otihasik itikatha., Ramkrishana Vivekananda Merg, Saratpalli, Midnapore