Deployment of bastion host, RED before firewalls to improve security and efficiency
- 1Dept. of Computer Science Engg, Bhilai Institute of Technology, Durg, CG, India
- 2Dept. of Computer Science Engg, Bhilai Institute of Technology, Durg, CG, India
Res. J. Computer & IT Sci., Volume 5, Issue (5), Pages 9-11, July,20 (2017)
Firewalls are one of the most important equipment required to protect the Networks these days. Network threats are on all-time high and upgradation of firewalls is a continuous and ongoing process. This paper aims at suggesting improvements in the firewall performance and improving security by attaching a Bastion host before firewall to reduce threats reaching firewall. It includes the detailed description of a bastion firewall as an External DNS Server and a proxy server. The paper also includes a model of packet filtering which may be used to detect and reject packets at an earlier stage using RED. Thus the number of packets which reach the firewall are lesser as compared to a direct exposure to firewall. These alterations improve the firewall efficiency which is a major requirement in the current scenario.
- Zeidan Safaa and Trabelsi Zouheir (2011)., A Survey on Firewall’s Early packet rejection techniques., International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology, IEEE, 203-208.
- Hamed H., El-Atawy A. and Al-Shaer E. (2006)., Adaptive Statistical Optimization Techniques for Firewall Packet Filtering., Proceeding of IEEE INFOCOM, 1-12
- Al-Shear E., El-Atawy A. and Tran T. (2009)., Adaptive Early Packet filtering for Defending firewalls against DoS Attack., Proceeding of IEEE INFOCOM, 1-9.
- Taluja Sachin, Kumar Verma Mr. Pradeep and Lal Dua Rajeshwar (2012)., Network Security Using IP firewalls., International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering, 348-354.
- Ganesh Ashwin, Sudarsan Anirudhan, Vasu Krishna Ajay and Ramalingam Dinesh (2014)., Improving Firewall Performance by Using A Cache Table., International Journal of Advances in Engineering & Technology, 7(5), 1594-1607.
- Zwicky Elizabeth D., Cooper Simon and Chapman Brent D. (2000)., Building Internet Firewalls: Internet and Web Security., 2nd Edition, O
- Stalling William (2011)., Cryptography and Network Security: Principles and Practice., Pearson Education, 5th edition.