Study on length weight relationship and condition factor of (Catla catla, Ham 1822) from Vallabh Sagar, Gujarat, India
- 1Department of Aquatic Biology, Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Surat, India
- 2Department of Aquatic Biology, Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Surat, India
Res. J. Animal, Veterinary and Fishery Sci., Volume 5, Issue (2), Pages 1-5, February,24 (2017)
This study describes the important parameters such as length-weight relationships (LWR), condition factors (K) and relative condition factor (Kn) of Catla catla from Vallabh Sagar reservoir, Gujarat. A total of 554 specimens were used to measure the total length and weight during June, 2013 to May, 2014. The LWR was analyzed and growth exponent ‘b’ (2.880) was observed from pooled data which indicates negative allometric growth in studied fish. The correlation coefficient ‘r’ (0.976) was observed during the study which depicts high correlation in length and weight variables. The value of condition factor and relative condition factor were found >1 which indicates the well-being of studied fish and conduciveness of the habitat.
- Hamilton Buchanan F. (1822)., An account of the fishes of river Ganges and its branches., George Ramsay and Co., Edinburgh and London, vii + 405
- Froese R. (2006)., Cube law, condition factor and weight-length relationships: History, meta-analysis and recommendations., J. Appl. Ichthyol., 22(4), 241-253.
- Le Cren E.D. (1951)., The Length Weight relationship and seasonal cycle in gonad weight and condition in perch (Pena fluviatilial)., J.Ani. Ecol, 20(2), 201-219.
- Ricker W.E. (1987)., Computations and interpretation of biological statistics of fish populations., Fisheries Research Board Canada Bulletin, 191, 382.
- Ujjania N.C. (2012)., Comparative age and growth of Indian major Carp (Catlacatla ham. 1822) in Selected water bodies of Southern Rajasthan, India., Res. J. Rec. Sci., 1, 17-22.
- Saksena D.N. and Kulkarni N. (1982)., Observations on the condition factor (K) in an Indian major carp, Catla-catla (Ham.) from two reservoirs., Environ. India, 5, 1-4.
- Snedecor S.W. and Cochran W.G. (1967)., Statistical Methods., New Delhi, Oxford and IBH Publishing Company. 435.
- Fulton T.W. (1902)., The rate of growth of fishes. Twenty-Second Annual Report, Part III., Fisheries Board of Scotland, Edinburgh, 141–241.
- Janin M.K. (2000)., Biology and Fisheries of Indian major carps from Siliserh reservoir Alwar, Rajasthan, India., Ph.D. Thesis Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture and Technology, Udaipur.
- Merella P., Quetglas A., Alemary F. and Crbonell A. (1997)., Length-weight relationship of fishes and cephalopods from the Baleric Islands (Wester Mediterranean)., Research Report: NAGA, ICLARM, Quarterly, 20(3-4), 66-68.
- Laleye P.A. (2006)., Length weight and length-length relationship of fishes from the Oueme River in Benin (West Africa)., J. Appl. Ichth, 22(4), 330-333.
- Naeem M., Salam A., Ishtiaq A. and Shafique S. (2010)., Length-weight and condition factor relationship of farmed hybrid (Catla catla X Labeo rohita) from Multan, Pakistan., Shindh Uni. Res. J. (Sci. Ser.), 42(2), 35-38.
- Abdallah M. (2002)., Length–weight relationships of fishes caught by trawl off Alexandria, Egypt., Naga, The ICLARM Quart. 25(1), 19-20.
- Chauhan R.S. (1987)., Food, parasites and length-weight relationship of a hill stream fish. Schizothorax plagiostomus (Heckel)., Indian J. Anim. Res., 21(2),93-96.
- Desai V.R. and Shrivastava N.P. (1990)., Studies on age, growth and gear selectively of Cirrhinus mrigala (Ham.) from Rihand reservoir, Uttar Pradesh., Indian Journal of Fisheries, 37(4), 305-311.
- Johal M.S. and Kingra J.S. (1992)., Length-weight relationship of three Indian major carps from Jaisamand Lake, Udaipur, Rajasthan, India., Bioved, 3(1),55-56.
- Kumar Rajkumar (2005)., Studies on some aspects of fish biology and fisheries potential in relation to current water quality status of Daya reservoir, Udaipur, Rajasthan., Ph.D. Thesis. Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture and Technology, Udaipur.
- Khan S., Khan M.A., Miyan K. and Mubarak M. (2011)., Length-weight relationship for nine freshwater teleosts collected from river Ganga India., Int. J. Zool. Res., 7(6), 401-405.
- Gupta B.K., Sarkar U.K., Bhardwaj S.K. and Pal A. (2011)., Condition factor, length-weight and length-weight relationships of an endangered fish Ompok pabda (Hamilton 1822) (Silurifomes: Siluridae) from the River Gomti, a tributary of the River Ganga, India., J. Appl. Ichthyol., 27(3), 962-964.
- Sani R., Gupta B.K., Sarkar U.K., Pandey A., Dubey V.K. and Lakra W.S. (2010)., Length weight relationship of 14 Indian freshwater species from river Betwa (Yamuna River tributary) and Gomti (Ganga river tributary)., J. Appl. Ichthyol., 26(3), 456-459.
- Dua A. and Kumar K. (2006)., Age and growth patterns in Channa marulius from Harike Wetland (A Ramsar site), Punjab, India., J Environ Biol., 27(2), 377-380.
- Haniffa M.A., Nagarajan M. and Gopalakrishnan A. (2006)., Length-weight relationship of Channa punctata from Western Ghat Rivers of Tamil Nadu., J Appl Ichthyol., 22(4), 308-309. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0426.2006.00779.x.
- Pope K.L. and Willis D.W. (1996)., Seasonal influences on freshwater fisheries sampling data., Rev Fish Sci, 4(1), 57-73. doi: 10.1080/10641269609388578.
- Prasad U., Patel S., Patel D.P. and Patel A. (2012)., Length Weight Relationship and condition factor of Labeo rohita in Govindgarh Lake, Rewa (M.P.)., Indian J. Res. 1(12), 185-187.
- Ujjania N.C. (2003)., Comparative performance of Indian major carps (Catla catla, Labeo rohita and Cirrhinus mrigala) in Southern Rajasthan., Ph.D. Thesis. Central Institute of Fisheries Education, ICAR, Mumbai, 149.
- Narejo N.T. (2006)., Length-Weight Relationship and Relative Condition Factor of a Carp, Cirrhinusreba (Hamilton) from Manchar Lake, Distt. Dadu, Sindh, Pakistan., Pakistan J. Zool, 38(1), 11-14.
- Shafi M. and Quddus M.A. (1974)., The length-weight relationship and condition in the carp Catla catla (Hamilton-Buchanan)., J. Asiatic Soc. Bangladesh (Sci.)., 19, 71-80.
- Shafi M. and Quddus M.A. (1974)., The length-weight relationship in the carp Cirrhina mrigala (Hamilton Buchanan)., Dacca Univ. Stud. Pt. B., 22, 39-45.