Stability assessment of open grown forest tree species in Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka, Nigeria
- 1Department of Forestry and Wildlife (FOW), Nnamdi Azikiwe University (NAU), Awka, P.M.B: 5025, Nigeria
- 2Department of Forestry and Wildlife (FOW), Nnamdi Azikiwe University (NAU), Awka, P.M.B: 5025, Nigeria
- 3Department of Forestry and Wildlife (FOW), Nnamdi Azikiwe University (NAU), Awka, P.M.B: 5025, Nigeria
Res. J. Agriculture & Forestry Sci., Volume 8, Issue (4), Pages 9-13, October,8 (2020)
The objective of this study was to assess the stability of open grown forest trees in Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Nigeria, for sustainable management. The stability of a tree is very important for understanding the structural firmness of a tree. Tree stability can be assessed using tree slenderness coefficient (TSC) and crown ratio (CR). The study area lies between latitude 6.245o and 6.283oN and longitude 7.115o and 7.1219oE in the Tropics. Total enumeration of open grown tree species with D &
- Omoro L.M.A., Pellika P.K.E. and Rogers P.C. (2010)., Tree species diversity, richness, and similarity between exotic and indigenous forests in the cloud forests of eastern Arc Mountains, Taita Hills, Kenya., Journal of forestry Research, 21(3), 255-264.
- Mickovski S.B. (2007)., Material stiffness, branching pattern and soil potential affect the pullout resistance of model root system., European journal of soil science, 58, 1471-1481.
- Fourcaud T., Zhang Z.Q., Ji J. and Stokes A. (2008)., Understanding the impact of root morphology on overturning mechanism., A modeling approach, annuals of botany, 101, 1267-1280.
- Ezenwenyi J.U. and Chukwu O. (2017)., Effects of slenderness coefficient in crown area prediction for Tectonia grandis Linn. f. in Omo Forest Reserve, Nigeria., Journal of Current life science, (3), 356-363.
- Navratil S. (1996)., Silvicultural system for managing deciduous and mixed wood stands with white spruce understory in silviculture of temperate and boreal broadleaf -conical mixture., Edited by Comeau, P.G. and Thomas, K.D. B.C. Ministry of Forests, Victoria, 35-46.
- Eguakun F.S. and Oyebade B.A. (2015)., Linear and non-linear slenderness model for Pinus carribeae stands in southwestern Nigeria., IOSR journal of Agriculture and Vertinary science, 8(3), Vversion 11, 26-30.
- Chukwu O. and Chenge I.B. (2018)., Stability assessment and composition of tree species in Nigerian University., World scientific news, 95, 235-245.
- Becquley J. and Nivert J.R. (1987)., The existence of stability zones of stands. Consequences on the management. Revue (les Chablis: lexistence de zones de stabilite des peuplements., Consequences suv la gestation. Revue). Forestierefranchaise, 4, fascicule thematique.
- Hahn J.T. and Leary R.A. (1979)., Potential diameter growth functions in a generalized forest growth projection system applied to the lake states region., USDA For. Serv. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC- 49. pp. 22-26.
- Wykoff W.R., Crookstoon N.L. and Stage A.R. (1982). Users guide to stand prognosis model. USDA For. Serv. Gen. tech. rep. INT-133:122., undefined, undefined
- Navratil S. (1997)., Wind Damage in Thinned Stands., In Proceedings of a Commercial Thinning Workshop. October 17-18. Whitecourt, pp 29-36.
- Clutter J.L., Bailey R.L., Brister G.H. and Foster J.C. (1983)., Timber management; a quality approach., John Wiley and sons, New york. 34-39.
- Schütz J.P. (2001)., The selection of forest and other forms of structured and mixed forests., Parey Buchverlag. Berlin. pp 207.
- Ezenwaji E.E., Phil-eze P.O., Otti V.I. and Eduputa B.M. (2013)., Household water demand in the pen-urban communities of Awka, Capital of Anambra State, Nigeria., Journal of Geography and Regional Planning, 6, 237-243.
- Sumida A., Miyaura T., Hitoshi T.H. (2013)., Relationships of tree height and diameter at breast height revisited: analyses of stem growth using 20-year data of an even-aged Chamaecyparis obtusa stand., Tree Physiology, 33, 106-118.
- Popoola F.S. and Adesoye P.O. (2012)., Crown ratio models for Tectonia grandis (Linn. f.) stands in Osho Forest Reserve, Oyo State, Nigeria., Journal of forest science, 28(2), 63-67.
- Sharma R.P., Vacek Z. and Vacek S. (2016)., Modeling individual tree height to diameter ratio for Norway spruce and European beech in Czech Republic., Trees, 30(6), DOI: 10.1007/s00468-016-1425-2.
- Oliver C.O. and Larson B.C. (1996)., Forest stands dynamics., John Wiley and sons, Toronto, 544P.
- Faber P.J. (2008)., Stability of stands to wind: a theoretical approach., Ned. Bosbouwtijdschr, 47, 179-193.