Germination of Aeschynomene Elaphroxylon (Guill. & Per.)Taub seeds under different dormancy breaking treatments and its storability
- 1Central Ethiopia Environment and Forest Research Centre, Addis Abeba, P.O.Box24536 Code 1000, Ethiopia
Res. J. Agriculture & Forestry Sci., Volume 8, Issue (2), Pages 27-31, April,8 (2020)
The objectives of this study paper are 1) to evaluate the potential of different seed dormancy breaking treatments in improving the germination of Aeschynomene elaphroxylon 2) to assess the seed longevity behavior of A. elaphroxylon. To achieve the objectives, seeds of the species were collected and their germination with different seed pre-sowing treatments such as; cold water treatment for 12 and 24 hours; and hot water treatments for 5, 10 and 15 minutes were assessed in a greenhouse. For the evaluation of seed longevity, the seeds stored for one year in a cold room and then their germination was evaluated. One- way ANOVA and t-test were used for the data analysis. Mean separation was performed using Fisher\'s least significance difference (LSD) test with a significance level of p=0.05. The result indicated significance differences in the mean germination index and mean germination time of the different seed dormancy breaking treatments (P<0.05). There was also a significance difference in the mean germination index of A. elaphroxylon seeds sown soon after collection and seeds sown after storing it for a year period of time (P<0.05). Overall, the findings indicated that, hot water treatment resulted in relatively higher germination index than the other seed dormancy breaking treatments. It is also found that the seed of the species has poor viability as the storage time increases.
- Michel Arbonnier (2004)., Trees, Shrubs and Lianas of West African Dry Zones., Cirad, Paris, pp 1 - 573. ISBN: 2-85653-571-2
- Burkill, H. M. (1994)., The useful plants of west tropical Africa. Volume 2: Families EI. (Edn 2)., Royal Botanic Garden, Kew, pp 1 - 648. ISBN: 10-0947643567
- Burkill Humphrey Morrison (1995)., The Useful Plants of West Tropical Africa., Volume 1-3, Families J-L, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, pp 1 -868. ISBN:0-947643-64-8
- Kassaye, Y.A., Lindis, S., Einset, J. and Salbu, B. (2016)., Aquatic Macrophytes in Ethiopian Rift Valley Lakes; Their Trace Elements Concentration and Use as Pollution Indicators., Aquat. Bot., 134, 18-25. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aquabot.2016.06.004
- Michel Arbonnier (2004)., Trees, Shrubs and Lianas of West African Dry Zones., CIRAD, Margraf Publishers, pp 1 -573.ISBN : 2-85653-571-2
- Nielsen, I. (2003). Du Puy, DJ, Labat, J.-N., Rabevohitra, R., Villiers, J.-F., Bosser, J. & Moat, J., The Leguminosae of Madagascar., Kew Bulletin, 58. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.2307/4119359
- Becker, M. (2001)., Potential and Limitations of Green Manure Technology in Lowland Rice., J. Agr.Rural. Dev. Trop., 102 (2), 91 -108.
- Nguyen, T.P., Keizer, P., van Eeuwijk, F., Smeekens, S. and Bentsink, L. (2012). Natural Variation for Seed Longevity and Seed Dormancy are Negatively Correlated in Arabidopsis. J. Plant Physiol., 160, 2083-2092. http://dx.doi.org/10.1104/pp.112.206649
- Benech-Arnold, R.I., Sanches, R.A., Forcella, F., Kruk, B.C.andGhersa, C.M. (2000)., Environmental Control of Dormancy in Weed Seed Bank in Soil., Field Crops Res., 67, 105-122. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4290(00)000 87-3
- Baskin, J.M., Baskin, C.C. (2004)., A Classification System for Seed Dormancy., Seed Sci. Res.,14, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1079/SSR2003150
- Hartmann Hudson, Kester Dale, Davies Fred, Geneve Robert (2011). Plant Propagation Principles and Practices, 8th Edition, Pearson, Prentice Hall, pp 1 - 928. ISBN: 0-13-5014492
- Yuningsih, A. F., & Sri, W. (2016)., Effective methods for dormancy breaking of 15 new-improved rice varieties to enhance the validity of germination test., From International Seminar on Promoting Local Resources for Food and Health. Bengkulu, Indonesia, 12th-13th Oct. pp 166-173.
- Nonogaki, H. (2017)., Seed Biology Updates: Highlights and New Discoveries in Seed Dormancy and Germination Research., Front. Plant Sci., 8, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2017.00524
- Sideman B. (2017). Starting Plants Indoors from Seed: Factsheet. Hhttps://extension.unh.edu/resource/starting-plants-seed-fact-sheet. Accessed on 10.12.2019.
- Nwoboshi L. C. (1982)., Tropical Silviculture: Principles and Techniques, Ibadan University press., Nigeria, pp 1- 333. ISBN: 9781210982 9789781210983
- Amusa, T. O. (2011)., Effects of three pre-treatment techniques on dormancy and germination of seeds of Afzelia africana (Sm. Ex pers)., Journal of Horticulture and forestry, 3(4), 96-103.
- Rajjou, L., & Debeaujon, I. (2008)., Seed longevity: survival and maintenance of high germination ability of dry seeds., Comptes rendus biologies, 331(10), 796-805. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crvi.2008.07.021.